What's new

Love Pinaud Bay Rum - What to try next?

Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum vs. Master Bay Rum

• Pinaud VIBR

• Master Bay Rum

Results are only viewable after voting.
In a recent PIF, I received a bottle of Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum. I love everything about it! The scent is fantastic and the burn makes me feel great! This is my first bay rum and I have fallen in love with the scent.

I will be sure to always keep a bottle of the VIBR around, but I would also like to try a few others. One brand that I have been eyeing is Master Bay Rum. How does the scent and staying power compare? How is the post shave compared to the VIBR?

Happy shaving!

I'd vote, but I haven't tried those other two aftershaves. If modern day Stephan Bay Rum is anything like the vintage stuff I have, I'd highly recommend it. Pretty reasonably priced on Amazon.

I just used the Master Bay Rum in my bootlegger blend today and I have to say on it's own I find the scent pretty mute...YMMV!

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have no experience with Master's Bay Rum, but to me the finest Bay Rum of the all is Captain's Choice. Pinaud is also an excellent option.

I like ogallala best both for scent and face feel, but I haven't tried but 2 others. I've tried Captains Choice and Soap Commander, and they are both OK IMHO. I just like Ogallala best.

I like to mix 2 parts Stephan bayrum and 1 part Pinaud VI bayrum. It moves the clove from the Pinaud back a little bit and it gives a nice edge to the sweeter Stephan's.

That said, nothing comes close to St John Bay Rum, but its over $40 the bottle.

I have Superior 70 and VIBR combined - pretty good combo, but my favorite is VIBR and Family Dollar Spice (Vie-Jon) for the Bay Spice blend.....

I agree with the post above that Master BR is a little light on scent. It's nice, but definitely doesn't oroject very strongly. Sometime I'll do a light splash of warm water a little later in the day to reactivate it a bit.
It also has a high amount of bay leaf oil in it (my bottle at least has that second on the ingredient list, above the alcohol), so it doesn't have a lot of burn and leaves a face-feel that's a little different. Not oily, maybe just a little tackier?

I like to mix 2 parts Stephan bayrum and 1 part Pinaud VI bayrum. It moves the clove from the Pinaud back a little bit and it gives a nice edge to the sweeter Stephan's.

That said, nothing comes close to St John Bay Rum, but its over $40 the bottle.

Seneca , Isn't Stephan Bay Rum the most "NOTHING" Bay Rum you've ever bought ? I Love Stephan Island Lime , bought the Bay Rum and was shocked , nothing like what I call Bay Rum , they forgot to put the Bay Rum in there ! I like Genuine Ogallala Bay Rum , and the other additions I've tried (Limes & Peppercorns , and Sage & Cedar) , they're Great ! Haven't tried St John's ... . VIBR is a Standard , some say too clovey , but ... . I guess using Stephan to tone down another would put it to some use . Good idea .

Last edited:
Top Bottom