What's new

Made My First Manhattan

I blame the B&B for all of this. Specifically, being named Steward of this fine forum has caused me to broaden my horizons on all of this mixed drink stuff. Oh, I was quite content to sip ny scotch or bourbon neat and call it a day...but no...I have to go off and explore what all the fuss is about an Old Fashioned, or a Sazerac, and now a Manhattan.

It all came off white well. I used George Dickel Rye, some Carpano Antica Vermouth, and Angostura bitters. Add in a video from Robert Hess ands I enjoyed my first and absolutely delicious Manhattan.

Down the rabbit hole we go!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got a bottle of that Vermouth with a bottle of Templeton Rye, but haven't tried it. OK stuff? I'm not a Vermouth afficianado by any stretch, so I'm sure it'll satisfy my needs, but wondering if it stood out for you in any way...

Very well done, Erich. I would love to join you in a raised glass, but I gave up drinking for Lent. :mad3:
Oh dear.

I got a bottle of that Vermouth with a bottle of Templeton Rye, but haven't tried it. OK stuff? I'm not a Vermouth afficianado by any stretch, so I'm sure it'll satisfy my needs, but wondering if it stood out for you in any way...
It's so far above okay that words barely describe it. It clearly shows just how important great vermouth is for a great cocktail.

I do love a good Manhattan on a warm day. Bulleit rye, Martini&Rossi sweet vermouth, Angostura bitters and two maraschinos

Great choice. Welcome to the Manhattan club.

I'm drinking my second Manhattan of the night right now.
First was Dickel rye, Rossi vermouth, Chocolate Mole bitters and a cherry.
Second was Russell's Reserve 10 year bourbon, Rossi vermouth, Angostura bitters and Woodford Cherry bitters.

It sounds like I came from an alcoholic household, but that was my parents drink and I was mixing them by the time I was 10.

First made Manhattans using Cinzano sweet vermouth. Now I use Dolin's sweet vermouth.

I will see if the Carpano Antica is available near here.

It sounds like I came from an alcoholic household, but that was my parents drink and I was mixing them by the time I was 10.
One ,just never discount the benefits of early training!!!:lol:

First made Manhattans using Cinzano sweet vermouth. Now I use Dolin's sweet vermouth.

I will see if the Carpano Antica is available near here.
It's pricey but I think it is well worth the price. A friend of mine uses it exclusively for his Manhattans and Negronis

I think you missed a cherry. I wish I could remember the name of the "perfect manhattan cherry". I had it in one at an Italian resteraunt once, and it was AWESOME. Happy drinking. :)

And I, like you, once only drank my whiskey neat or on the rocks. But then I tried a manhattan. And a sazarac. Though I can say I have yet to find an Old Fashioned that really excited me.

I think you missed a cherry. I wish I could remember the name of the "perfect manhattan cherry". I had it in one at an Italian resteraunt once, and it was AWESOME. Happy drinking. :)

And I, like you, once only drank my whiskey neat or on the rocks. But then I tried a manhattan. And a sazarac. Though I can say I have yet to find an Old Fashioned that really excited me.
There was a cherry in there. Just an old super market maraschino. I found some real bottled cherries that have no dyes or other artificial components yesterday at the grocery store. Will give that a whirl in either another Manhattan or an Old-Fashioned.

The Luxardo cherries are awesome. Pricey, but awesome.

One ,just never discount the benefits of early training!!!:lol:

By the time she was 12, my daughter would roll her eyes if I ordered a Martini when we were out for dinner and the bartender violated the "one or three, never two" olive rule.

The Luxardo cherries are awesome. Pricey, but awesome.

+2. Pricey, but a lot of Manhattans can be made from one bottle.

Lastly, experiment with bitters. Amazing what swapping out that ingredient will do to make an almost different cocktail. I'm particularly fond of Scrappy's.

Top Bottom