What's new

Help shaving across/horizontally on the neck

$268b47b74b14df15666caf316e05c883.jpg$559e3bd1d5849e22683458bab2e19df6.jpgView attachment 645547$Beard_Map_Arrows.jpgView attachment 645549

Take your pick, got to ne a winner in here somewhere

I envy the North/South neck growers as well. My neck hair grows West to East starting under the left side of my chin going towards my right ear, and East to West from almost the same point going towards my left ear....And right in the middle there is about a 3mm strip that goes North-South halfway down my neck then South-North the rest of the way down.
I was just getting the the point where I had it pretty well figured out with a DE when I switched to a straight razor. There is a certain amount of fun in the challenge, but there has been plenty of pain to go along with it. I am still new enough that I have been doing a 3rd pass on my neck with my DE and it is almost effortless to use when compared to the straight. Once I get more comfortable with grip and angles up to that point I'll revisit this post and try some of these techniques.
That is one of my favorite things about wet shaving in general. I love to learn new things and there is always something to learn in every aspect of it. Whether it is blades, soaps, lathering, brushes, stropping, honing, or the materials used in any of them. It's a great journey and I enjoy walking it.

Use this advice at your own risk!!:lol:

If you maintain a 'Adam's apple to nose' pass but move the blade in short slicing motion,' ear to ear' direction, it will catch all those hairs. It does require technique as you are basically doing a "slicing your throat" motion, but you should be adding a little side to side motion anyways to help cut. Ideally you would slide the blade against the grain of the horizontally growing hair.

I used to use a shorty and do a true horizontal pass but it was difficult and scary to do.

Yup! Gillette Slide of sorts. [emoji106]

I would only do the perfect shave bbs 3 pass... one pass doen on face and neck etc... 2nd pass down on neck and chin area then from left to right on cheeks... 3rd pass all upwards except chin upper lip area..that will be enough to give you a bbs smooth fave just use splash on..let it dry then some cream on face to prevent sore razor burn ....this is what i do and many many people ..

Something occurred to me today to try: it's the Dizzy Gillespie inflation technique. Don't let anyone see you do it. I have really bony jaws, and close to no fat, so lots of hollows to go with angles that my straights don't like. So I got to thinking about videos I've seen of people with absurdly smooth features and how easy it is for them to shave. Some guys can make a single straight pass from eyeball to chest by just looking up half way through the stroke.

Well, look up picks of Dizzy Gillespie blowing on his trumpet, and you'll understand my inspiration. I can't blow up like a toad in heat, but it turns out that I can get just enough puff to make things much better at and under the jaw. A little scything and wrist English are now possible where once any razor became a spike.

I'm not talking about puffing out a cheek hollow, here. You gotta get some psi going on, and you'd better be ready to hold your breath for a bit...and you might start gasping. But it might be worth it. The Dizzy Gillespie is now a part of my shaving arsenal for good, because I know of no other way to get my neck smooth on the right side.

Im so glad you posted this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as that ^. i'm maybe 10 shaves in and any XTG stuff will have to wait just now; i'm pleased when i don't cut myself.

My chin is worst, and often finished with a DE, but i can get some of the neck with a down pass if i push the skin sideways away from the Adam's apple and look at the sky!

At bout 0616 in this vid are some XTG I've used to help start to refine my neck shaves.

I use a lot of 45 degree as I can with the neck...still have a long way to go.

I'm with Ice-Man and supertrunker on this.
I'm too new to straight shaving to attempt anything other than N-S and S-N on my neck.
Tried some fancy curving strokes on my chin a couple of weeks ago and got my best nick yet! When I've had another 100 or 200 shaves with a straight I may get more inventive...

At bout 0616 in this vid are some XTG I've used to help start to refine my neck shaves.

OMG the speed he goes at it I would end up with no ears, but I did end up with a cut on my chin.

Oh that video is horrible! The sound that razor is making just makes my face burn.....

The razor should be sharp enough that it won't sound like that under normal angles. You might hear some sound, but it shouldn't sound like dragging nails across a chalkboard.
The other thing is he is WAY too steep on his angle for 90% of what I could bear to watch. Part of his neck he had the razor at 90 degrees! That'll dull a good razor edge almost as fast as running the edge on a glass. He's scraping the hair off, not cutting it.

Please don't use that as a basis for your technique.

Yikes .. I cringed at his angles, I'm a lot older than him with loose skin from weight loss.
Skin stretching and blade angles are critical to avoid being sliced to pieces.

OMG the speed he goes at it I would end up with no ears, but I did end up with a cut on my chin.

LOL at 'no ears'. i have a scar on my chin and for the time being i'm just using a DE for that tiny bit. The neck is getting easier, but ^ isn't joking about stretching the skin. Last week i forgot to stick my tongue in my bottom lip and nearly got a second smile.

i can get a 'good enough to go to work' shave, without too much trouble, but i'm not there yet - that alum still makes me swear.

LOL at 'no ears'. i have a scar on my chin and for the time being i'm just using a DE for that tiny bit. The neck is getting easier, but ^ isn't joking about stretching the skin. Last week i forgot to stick my tongue in my bottom lip and nearly got a second smile.

i can get a 'good enough to go to work' shave, without too much trouble, but i'm not there yet - that alum still makes me swear.

Swear!! haha you want to hear me, but I'm looking forward to old age. Where I can just grab the skin pull it out and shave and let go job done. Just joking

In trying to get the razor up and down for a horizontal cut, I caught the bottom of my earlobe today. Initially, I thought that's going to bleed, but it didn't, so I finally stopped looking at it. After breakfast, I reached up there for a scratch and came back with a bunch of blood. I can't believe my wife and son didn't notice! It really wasn't bad, and when I got it cleaned it was quite a small little thing, but bled freely.

By shorter razor are we talking about the width of the blade or the overall length of the razor or both?

Top Bottom