What's new

Help shaving across/horizontally on the neck

Does anyone have any tips on shaving horizontally/across the neck, from the direction of the ear to the nose on the neck?
This seems to be the against the grain for me which makes it the most stubbly and strongest part to cut. I am having problems handling the razor since I cant grab it in a way that would move horizontally on my neck.
This of course is not a problem with a DE razor or even a cartridge razor since this both have a T-shape which means I can grab the handle and move the blade in any direction I want.

Thanks,
Fredy

This is most certainly the biggest problem area I have as well...probably for every who has any difficulty at all. You didn't say whether you are able to switch hands efficiently, I myself am defiantly a "righty" when it comes to this sensitive area. If you are able to switch hit your options open up I'm sure. I am still looking for suggestions myself so I am eager to see what others have to say but here was I have come up with on my own and with the help of others so far.

Use a towel to help get grip and stretch skin up and back as you **** your head toward your shoulder. This brings the lower neck skin up toward and onto your cheek area allowing you to shave side to side with your hand inverted palm outward heel of the blade up. I push this exposure as far to the chin as possible and if you sort of look down while cocking your head to the opposite shoulder you can get pretty far down your neck too. DONT forget to say your prayers while doing this until you get good at it, that's a BIG artery right there! (Just kidding...the artery is a bit deeper, I think that's the jugular vein)

Another thing that has worked for me recently is to approach from near the collar bone/shoulder and move upward toward the nose with the head rotated a bit toward the opposite shoulder. This is not exactly an ear to mouth but it's not south to north either.

I hope this helps. AND I hope others can refine or add to this because I know a few of us are have trouble here.

It's never even occurred to me to shave sideways on my neck and frankly I find the idea a bit terrifying.

One pass down, one pass up, and my neck is a nice comfy DFS, maybe BBS. Maybe I'm lucky.

Something occurred to me today to try: it's the Dizzy Gillespie inflation technique. Don't let anyone see you do it. I have really bony jaws, and close to no fat, so lots of hollows to go with angles that my straights don't like. So I got to thinking about videos I've seen of people with absurdly smooth features and how easy it is for them to shave. Some guys can make a single straight pass from eyeball to chest by just looking up half way through the stroke.

Well, look up picks of Dizzy Gillespie blowing on his trumpet, and you'll understand my inspiration. I can't blow up like a toad in heat, but it turns out that I can get just enough puff to make things much better at and under the jaw. A little scything and wrist English are now possible where once any razor became a spike.

I'm not talking about puffing out a cheek hollow, here. You gotta get some psi going on, and you'd better be ready to hold your breath for a bit...and you might start gasping. But it might be worth it. The Dizzy Gillespie is now a part of my shaving arsenal for good, because I know of no other way to get my neck smooth on the right side.

I have been getting really close using a steep angle, but only on the neck under the jawbone. Can't get a razor horizontal in the area right where my shirt collar would be. Even with DE, getting a BBS right at that line cause lots of work and usually some irritation.

Use a towel to help get grip and stretch skin up and back as you **** your head toward your shoulder. This brings the lower neck skin up toward and onto your cheek area allowing you to shave side to side with your hand inverted palm outward heel of the blade up. I push this exposure as far to the chin as possible and if you sort of look down while cocking your head to the opposite shoulder you can get pretty far down your neck too.

That was an Excellent step by step tip! I did that and was able to cut closer than usual with a heel forward downward stroke in that area. It was better on the right side, even though I use both hands throughout my shaves, but I am going to practice that move for sure!

I accomplish this with the scales folded back close to the spine and the heel toward the jawbone. I shave East/SE to West/NW and do a slicing motion:scared:(sounds bad, but the best way I can describe it). I can get a BBS doing this, but it is a lot of extra work so I usually just make due with DFS on neck. This is also easier with straights with a shorter edge. I have been lucky, but be careful if you give it a try. I have found BBS is over rated. Your the only one that will notice the slight difference and it only lasts half a day. I envy the gentleman with North/South growth on their neck.

I'm the same way. My neck hair grows sideways, not up or down.
I found that the third pass is easier for me if it is on a 45° angle instead of straight across. It's as close to against the grain that I can do comfortably

So I do up, down, then angled from the bottom-right of my neck to the middle of the chin.

I accomplish this with the scales folded back close to the spine and the heel toward the jawbone. I shave East/SE to West/NW and do a slicing motion:scared:(sounds bad, but the best way I can describe it). I can get a BBS doing this, but it is a lot of extra work so I usually just make due with DFS on neck. This is also easier with straights with a shorter edge. I have been lucky, but be careful if you give it a try. I have found BBS is over rated. Your the only one that will notice the slight difference and it only lasts half a day. I envy the gentleman with North/South growth on their neck.
I've been able to do this only on my right side with my right hand (I'm a right hand only kind of guy) and have a hit and miss with repeating on my left. Funny thing is I can use this technique on my right side and the stretch and tilt thing I described above on my left and do ok all around.

+1 on the shorter blade helping these techniques. I use a shorter blade BUT it has a wicked point, one wrong move and it's curtains for me.

Even with these maneuvers, I still get an BBS only 75% of the time. A little more creativity can get me a BBS maybe 10% more often but I'm doomed to get less than perfect at least 15% of the time. But I always have the next day to try again.

It's difficult and I have the same problem. Apart from contorting and stretching the skin (use an alum block on your fingers for grip) - my only solution is two or three extra passes, lightly done, in the problem area in every conceivable direction. The laws of physics won't allow me to do a horizontal pass. Stick at it and you will get at least a DFS.

All great advice! Stretching the skin, a very sharp blade, a good pre shave routine and a quality soap will help alot. Then exprimentation to see what works and what doesnt. Over time youll get it down to a fine art. However often overlooked is that a razor can be held in many ways. Not just the western pinch grip. Try this grip for shaving across the neck.
$20160223_214948.jpg

DISCLAIMER.
Practice Any new grip on your arm or something first before trying it on that jucey Blood filled thing holding your head on haha i dont want your wife etc moaning you cant do the dishes because you cut half your face off lol.

[MENTION=103143]Fizzyhair[/MENTION] I tried that grip for the first time this morning. Works great on my chin! Due to age and weight loss, I have some flabby Richard Nixon like jowels that I have to contend with.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Use this advice at your own risk!!:lol:

If you maintain a 'Adam's apple to nose' pass but move the blade in short slicing motion,' ear to ear' direction, it will catch all those hairs. It does require technique as you are basically doing a "slicing your throat" motion, but you should be adding a little side to side motion anyways to help cut. Ideally you would slide the blade against the grain of the horizontally growing hair.

I used to use a shorty and do a true horizontal pass but it was difficult and scary to do.

This area has always been my pet hate when I'm shaving!!
Best results for me are to shave diagonally instead of horizontally, still not perfect, but the lesser of two evils.
I've got dark bristles that are like wire, so trying to get BBS on the neck is more trouble than it's worth and usually results in an itchy rash (Ouch)

I have the same issue with my neck line so I do the best I can with a slow 3 pass WTG/ATG and XTG where I can and just move on, I have tried some tactics thinking "That will work" and it usually does not fair well for my neck as the hair grows horizionally right across far enough down that I can't stretch the skin that far up to pull it above my jaw line, some shaves are better than others in that area so I take what I can get and just enjoy the shave. :straight:

As mentioned, a Gillette slide which is carefully executed will slice the problem areas off well and using the opposite hand will also allow some better angles as well.

After over 365 shaves on my own-honed blades, I am still getting better on my neck.

I just wanted to chime in, again, to encourage others. After a year, I went back to using a DE about twice a week, And, I am getting as-close on my neck, with SR as I am with DE.....Which tells me that getting those freak-hairs is hard! :laugh:...no matter what tool I use.

Hang in there and keep at it!

It's interesting, isn't it? I use a DE once a week (I need to for shaving my head), and I have found that getting better with straights has also improved my DE shave :)

That confirms a suspicion I've harbored. It takes a "next level" of understanding and skill to wield a straight effectively, and the abilities garnered enrich your entire life, I say at the risk of puking out hyperbole. I read somewhere that stunt shavers make better lovers, or something to that effect...
It's interesting, isn't it? I use a DE once a week (I need to for shaving my head), and I have found that getting better with straights has also improved my DE shave :)

I've tried, there is no fricking way for me to make a perfect horizontal pass across my neck, 45 degree from outer neck , under ear, towards the chin is possible, or even the other possible is 45 degree, from lower neck, under Adams apple towards the ear, can be a doer, with care, and puffing out check and under jaw. So for me is straight down, straight up, and careful 45 does the trick for me.

OK anyone in here can do a perfect horizontal pass across neck please speak up, or for ever hold your peace !!:cursing::sneaky2:

Gimme a really short and really smiley blade, and I'll try. Otherwise, I'm with the fawty-fi's too.
I've tried, there is no fricking way for me to make a perfect horizontal pass across my neck, 45 degree from outer neck , under ear, towards the chin is possible, or even the other possible is 45 degree, from lower neck, under Adams apple towards the ear, can be a doer, with care, and puffing out check and under jaw. So for me is straight down, straight up, and careful 45 does the trick for me.

OK anyone in here can do a perfect horizontal pass across neck please speak up, or for ever hold your peace !!:cursing::sneaky2:

Top Bottom