What's new

What are you guys cooking for your ladies on Valentine's Day?

Well guys, the question is in the title :thumbup1:.

I'll start off! Yesterday I went to my local Whole Foods as they were running a special on all NY Strip and Ribeyes! I picked up two 0.75lb Prime grade dry aged ribeyes!! I can't wait to throw those baby's on the fire! They will get a very simple rub called Tommy's Steak seasoning from Duck, NC. The marbling in them is amazing, I will post pics either Sunday or Monday. They had a sample of some Prime dry aged NY Strip and I don't like strips and it was amazing, so flavorful and as tender as a Filet Mignon!

With that we will be having a cauliflower mushroom brie risotto, and some lemon pepper broccoli and of course a fantastic full bodied red!

Now what are you guys doing?

Even though I'm a chef, we typically go out for Valentine's Day with this year being no exception. This year, it's going to be Wolfgang's Steakhouse. Usually, I do cook for her on her birthday which is 12 days after Valentine's.

We will go for Indian brunch buffet. Butter Chicken! I hope they have the mango pudding this time. She's Japanese, so the tradition is to give the man chocolates :thumbup1:

Even though I'm a chef, we typically go out for Valentine's Day with this year being no exception. This year, it's going to be Wolfgang's Steakhouse. Usually, I do cook for her on her birthday which is 12 days after Valentine's.

Her's is March 15, so I have 2 nights in a five star planned. I also defer until her birthday.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sorry for being long-winded. Here's my story:

The last time I took my wife out on Valentine's was to Sullivan's SteakHouse (yeah buddy, I hope ya'll are reading this). I called and set an appointment for 7:30 PM 30 days in advance. When we showed up at the restaurant it was like a total stampede of human beings trying to get into shoe box. We had to wait in line for 30 minutes just to check in with the hostess. The guy in front of us was half-cocked and didn't even have a reservation. They told him it was reservations first. Well, he didn't want to hear that and starts in on the hostess and demanded to see "Mark the Manager." They whisked him away with a table on the spot......argh!!!! So, we finally checked in at the hostess station and we are told it will be a 45 minutes. Ok, 45 minutes is not too bad. We turn and head to the bar area. It was so packed that we couldn't even get a drink while waiting. Our wait turned into 2 hours. The steak was mediocre at best, but the service from the waitress was excellent. I was totally embarrassed for my wife. It was far from romantic. The next day I wrote a letter via e-mail to Sullivan's Steakhouse. I mentioned being treated like cattle, was embarrassed for my wife and Valentine's was a bust. I wrote "Mark the Manger" was helpful for obnoxious drunks that didn't have a reservation with no welcome from patrons who actually planned ahead. I told them that they way overbooked and should have turned away others who did not have a reservation. I said in the email, "what ever happened to a restaurant where when you arrive, they open the door for you, say welcome we are glad to see you. Your table is ready Mr. Aaron, may I bring you a glass of wine to start things off. And...I must say your wife looks very stunning, you are a lucky man." I told them, "I will never return to your restaurant, ever." Some big wig from Sulllivan's Corporate called as well as "Mark the Manger" from the local restaurant. I didn't talk with them. I didn't want a free meal or to hear any apology. All I wanted to see was a smile from my wife.

Anyway, I feel better now I got that off my chest. I forgave them years ago, but I'm still not going back.

I think lobster, creamy grits and a garden salad will make the wife smile. :001_smile

Me and the wife never go out on Valentines. She abhors waiting, so by extension, I do. :biggrin1:

I had to have her do everything short of signing a sworn statement when she told me "All I want this year is a pineapple and ham pizza from Papa Johns".

So I'm off the hook this year unless my hearing was horribly wrong :tongue_sm

Every once in awhile when a restaurant makes a grievous mistake that is not corrected on the spot and immediately, I vote with my wallet and never return, even if they do offer a free meal and apologize. As a chef and someone who's been in the restaurant business for 25 years, I do understand mistakes happen. However, when mistakes happen, they need be addressed immediately. If I leave the restaurant unhappy, they will never get my business again no matter how profusely they apologize or what they have to offer.

This past week, I ate at "Restaurant Name Withheld" (an international Brazilian churrasco franchise) and all of a sudden service stopped at 7:30 and no meats came out for 45 minutes. During that time (both at after the 30 minute mark), I complained twice to two different people who both claimed to be the acting manager on duty even though it was clear that they were servers. Even after complaining and not seeing meats being served immediately after the complaints, I paid the bill and walked out. I did ask for contact info of the restaurant manager to which I was scribbled a phone number after they tried searching for a business card for 10 minutes. I sent the corporate office a letter of complaint to which I got a text message from the restaurant manager offering an apology as well as an approval to call me to formally apologize as well as an email from a regional manager offering an apology letter via email as well as a request to "visit" me for a formal apology. Both letters were read but ignored because the service was inexcusable as was the immediate response while at the restaurant.

My lady and I both believe that valentines day is stupid, so we don't really plan anything special. We will probably get a pizza and watch a movie and have some wine.... Actually that sounds pretty great... definitely doing that!

My girlfriend finally agreed on a low key valentines day hang in, luckily i have a beach view from my backyard so that always adds the ambiance that women love :tongue_sm. So i will be whipping up an artisanal cheese plate with cheeses from Whole Foods (Cowgirl Creamery Bree, Truffle Tremor from Cypress and A 1 year aged Manchego), candy spiced nuts and fresh fruit. Still undecided on dinner but i'm thinking grilled Flat Iron, Sautéed beech/trumpet mushrooms and a roasted garlic mash. All 5x cheaper than a go out elbow to elbow restaurant experience. Being a chef really helps the wallet on such occasions, as well as family holidays.

Breakfast...as pretty much every Sunday morning. We are going to dinner Monday at a local Rib/steak joint with friends.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I wanted to do lamb, but the wife says she likes rib eyes better. I love rib eye, but I was looking forward to lamb.

Top Bottom