What's new

Is this crazy?

I've read a bunch of threads on traveling inkwells/pots.

I'm just curious as to what you folks think about this concept:

Wigetco #0000000 1/16th-3/16th tapered rubber stopper.
Converter (I'm measuring a Lamy Z24).
10x75 (or 9x80 if you can find one) test tube with cap.

The I.D. of the converter opening is a hair over 3mm. The stopper starts thinner, and ends thicker.
It's a bit long, but the narrow end could be trimmed easiliy to fit in the ink port. Trim the top off to length when you've got a good seal.

The O.D. of the Lamy Z24 is just shy 8mm. A tube with an ID of 8mm would be a bit tight. But it looks like the most common tube in the size range is 10x75. The Z24 is a touch shy of the 75mm in length.

So if you put the #0000000 trimmer stopper into the converter, and put the converter into a slim test tube, maybe pack a cotton ball on top or not depending.

But do you think that would work for a traveling ink well?

I understand that they only hold 1.2-1.3 ml of ink per converter. But It would still be not too far off in price to get a bunch of coverters, a few stoppers a few test tubes and still be in the price range of some modern inkwells.

Am i just insane?

I don't personally need traveling ink. A converter full will last me long enough to get me to ink bottles again, and I don't mind carrying an emergency backup cartridge or two as well.

These are just idle thoughts.

I understand that they only hold 1.2-1.3 ml of ink per converter.
I'm lost too. All I can make out is that the OP is thinking about constructing something.

But no converter holds this much ink. Most hold around .6ml. The Pilot Con-20 (soon to be discontinued) holds 0.9ml completely full, and the Con-70 holds 1.0ml, which is the largest converter capacity I personally know of. Some of the Hero pens have enormous squeeze converters that may hold as much as 1.2-1.3ml of ink or more, but I don't have any experience with them.

Hrm.

Easy concept. I TL;DR'd again.

Small tapered rubber plug. Plug the converter with it. Put Plugged converter into a test tube (which keeps the stopper seated).

Plug = #0000000 Widgetco 1/16th-3/16th inch tapered plug. (Using digital calipers on the Z24 converter, I confirmed it would fit the ink port)

On converter volumes, I'll take your word on that, the volume was something I read. I haven't measured myself. (In retrospect, the number may have been for the Lamy cartrdige ink volume and I just got it mixed up with the converter)

Sorry to be confusing though.

Last edited:

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Sounds like you're designing an auxiliary gas can for a trip in a car with a small tank. Maybe you need a bigger tank.

Think piston fillers or eyedropper a pen to get that capacity.

LOL. So basically in answer to my question: Yes. It is crazy.

I kinda thought so. But I had to ask.

I like the gas tank analogy. What I'm thinking is more like a motorcycle small reserve tank. But you're more or less correct in what you're saying. You aim to go gas station to gas station, but in the off chance you miscalculate, reach down open the reserve and cover that last distance.

I'm just an oddball.

Either way, I appreciate the responses.

I have to say, I did reread your opening post (and goggled widgetco) and am beginning to understand what you are trying to do...it sounds interesting and I hope you will let us know if you go through with this. Pictures or a sketch would help alot in understanding what you are describing...just going to the widgetco site and seeing their pictures helped me understand better.

At the end of the day though, I find ink pots/traveling ink wells to be a bit superfluous. I mean, if I have enough room in my back pack or what have you for an ink pot, then I think I could get a 30ml bottle of Pelikan 4001 in there too.

Just for interests sake, these are the stoppers I'm looking at:

http://www.widgetco.com/0000000-rubber-stoppers-plugs

If I've measured correctly, they "should" be able to effectively plug up a converter. The test tube would be just secondary security.

I'm one of those EDC weirdos. I've got a small belt pouch that I usually carry stuff in. That's what I'm looking at this for. It's really not all that big.

I do not want to endorse cartridges where possible. I'm personally anti-disposable tech wherever possible.

I'll let you know if I buy the stoppers.

Well. I ordered 15 of the stoppers.

I need to show myself I'm not insane.

If the stopper works how I think it should, then I'll look at a test tube to store it in.

So whenever I get the stoppers, I'll post pics. Pass or fail.

Well. I ordered 15 of the stoppers.

I need to show myself I'm not insane.

If the stopper works how I think it should, then I'll look at a test tube to store it in.

So whenever I get the stoppers, I'll post pics. Pass or fail.
This sounds fun:a14: Can't wait to see how it turns out.

I'm one of those EDC weirdos. I've got a small belt pouch that I usually carry stuff in. That's what I'm looking at this for. It's really not all that big.

Like Batman!

Even if it's crazy (not saying it is), figuring out the mechanics of it and playing with your theory sounds fun. Have at it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
It would seem to me that a sample vial would be much more convenient and easier to deal with, and much cheaper, but where's the challenge in that? :blush:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Other ideas;
Pilot Iroshizuku has small 15 ml bottles, could be reused with any ink.
Syringe with screw on cap, prevents inadvertent depressing plunger and spilling ink, but kinda long.

As stated it technically means Too Long; Didn't Read, but I often use it in a personal context to mean I used too many words to say what I wanted.

Scotch tape could work, but I wouldn't trust it (or electrical tape etc.

I'm just having fun.

15ml seems a lot to me. A converter full would be plenty for me and my usage habits.

With the lamy z24 you don't have to worry about accidentally depressing the plunger. It's a twist, so so long as you keep it from getting rotated.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Or you could just carry two pens, no muss, no fuss, ready to go, if you only need one extra converter full.

I've heard some people refill cartridges rather than throw them away, this seems like you're demoting a converter to act as a cartridge.

Top Bottom