What's new

Old Spice goes to the movies

I saw a couple of movies this week, both of which gave Old Spice manly nods.

The first flick I watched (re-watched, really...but it's been a while) was Animal House. Near the start of the movie, Otter's room is shown with a vintage ceramic bottle of Old Spice perched on his bathroom sink.

proxy.php

I also saw Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby. Yep, Old Spice is front and center for the entire movie.

proxy.php

I suspect if I started paying attention, I would notice more and more Old Spice appearances (aftershave and cologne) in the movies.

The book version of Animal House takes it a little further. It mentions that Otter tried Canoe and didn't like it -- figured it was something that Marmalard would use -- and decided he'd remain an Old Spice man.

Poolhall Junkies

A: Listen, man, the key to picking up women is very simple. Old Spice and Aqua Velva.

B: Are you kidding? That's the [stuff] my dad uses.

A; Exactly. That's what I'm trying to tell you. This is the old-school [stuff].

The T.V. series Barney Miller, there is a bottle of Old Spice Lime on the window ledge behind Barney's desk.

While it is not in every episode, it does seem to appear in over 50% of them.

I thought of one more example of Old Spice in the movies. There's a scene in Jaws when Brody, while out on the boat, sprinkles Old Spice in a towel. He uses the scented towel to help mask the smell of chum.

proxy.php

I'll add one more. This quote is from E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial.

Mike tells Elliott to grab the fuzzbuster. Elliott pulls his father's blueshirt out from the shelf. They reminisce about the days when he used to take them to baseball games and the movies, where they would have baseballfights. Mike says that they'll do that again, but Elliott doesn't reallybelieve him. They each smell their father's shirt.

"Old Spice," says Mike.
"Sea Breeze," says Elliott.

proxy.php

In Cheers episode 4, season 11 Sam Malone reveals his signature cologne,

"It's a special blend: Old Spice, Hai Karate, and something that takes spots out."

proxy.php

Burt Reynolds slaps on a few generous handfuls of Old Spice in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Go Burt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom