What's new

what blade I should try next?

I have just finished my 6th DE shave ever and it was my best. My first two shaves were the only time I nicked myself or experienced razorburn. Anyway, I have a sample pack of razors (Crystal, Personna Red, Astra SP, Feather, Derby). I have strictly used Derby extra for all my shaves, changing the blade every 3 shaves. The problem I have is a feel like the derby doesn't feel smooth or comfortable for me. Its also hard to reduce my beard hair without have to go ATG which causes irritation. So should I stick with Derby blade for the next couple shaves or has it been long enough for me to venture out a little. I know your supposed to stick with the same setup for awhile, but I guess i'm a little impatient to try another blade to feel the difference. If you guys do think I can try another blade out of the sampler which would you recommend for me to be my 2nd blade to try. I was thinking Astra SP or Crystal? :001_huh:

Side Note: I noticed today I forgot to use my alumblock and had far less skin irritation. Does anyone not use an alum block due to skin issues?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I started with Astra sp and they were kind to my face and worked for me. They are definitely worth a go. Remember: More product and no pressure. I use alum and it works in my routine, but I have read threads about it here where people have complained about irritation beyond the normal sting. Maybe you could lay off for a bit then retry after awhile?

I started with Astra sp and they were kind to my face and worked for me. They are definitely worth a go. Remember: More product and no pressure. I use alum and it works in my routine, but I have read threads about it here where people have complained about irritation beyond the normal sting. Maybe you could lay off for a bit then retry after awhile?

Yeah maybe I will try that. I just learned the importance of making a lather that fits you, and I usually try to use a hefty amount of cream just to protect my face. Thanks for the tips!

Astra for the next few days.. and then next weekend or the next time you can take your time and be intentional with it, try a feather. You're ready.

I always recommend a new DE shaver get a 100 count carton of Astra blades (they are around $10-12 delivered through Amazon).

After they get half of the carton used (2-3 months) they should know how to shave by then and can start looking at different blades.

I have seen way too many new shavers grab a large "sampler package" and get awful shave after awful shave from each and every brand, blaming their problems on the razor blades and never leaning how to shave.

Pick one blade.
Prep your beard properly
Map your beard (so you know which way WTG, XTG, ATG is)
Stretch your skin while shaving
Use short rapid strokes and keep a consistent blade angle.

If you do all of the above you should be able to shave with any blade stuffed into any razor and get a perfect shave time after time.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I always recommend a new DE shaver get a 100 count carton of Astra blades (they are around $10-12 delivered through Amazon).

After they get half of the carton used (2-3 months) they should know how to shave by then and can start looking at different blades.

I have seen way too many new shavers grab a large "sampler package" and get awful shave after awful shave from each and every brand, blaming their problems on the razor blades and never leaning how to shave.

Pick one blade.
Prep your beard properly
Map your beard (so you know which way WTG, XTG, ATG is)
Stretch your skin while shaving
Use short rapid strokes and keep a consistent blade angle.

If you do all of the above you should be able to shave with any blade stuffed into any razor and get a perfect shave time after time.

:thumbup1: Stellar advice. I never thought of it that way about the Astra's. Most advice here says get a sample pack and keep trying until you find a blade that works. It may be good advice but I totally see the validity in what you are saying like staying with one razor until you learn it. I've said get a sample pack myself to other people thinking it was the most sage advice. The reality for me was the guy at work, who got me into DE, told me about many other blades and his take on them then gave me a tuck of Astra's and said try these they are sharp and smooth. I used up the tuck and ordered a 100 Astra's on line learning on them. Then razor blade acquisition disorder set in thanks to B&B and I haven't really found a blade I can't get a good shave from...wow...curious!

Last edited:
Astra SP is definitely a good choice; I'd also recommend the Gillette SharpEdge (Gillette Yellow) which seems to be a consistently high performer (and is my personal favourite as a relative newbie).

I think it's worth mixing up the blades at the beginning of your DE journey and keeping a log of how your shaves are going, how the blades are performing, how your technique is developing etc. I'm currently doing this with twelve different packs of blades, and mixing them up means that you're able to go back and re-evaluate a blade after a few weeks away, during which your technique will have improved. As an example, I didn't get on very well with PolSilver Super Iridium blades at the beginning, but a couple of months later I think they're extremely good. The blades haven't improved, but my use of them has. But if I'd run through a whole pack straight away, I might have written them off for good, which would have been a mistake.

Anyway, enjoy the journey!

:thumbup1: Stellar advice. I never thought of it that way about the Astra's. Most advice here says get a sample pack and keep trying until you find a blade that works. It may be good advice but I totally see the validity in what you are saying like staying with one razor until you learn it. I've said get a sample pack myself to other people thinking it was the most sage advice. The reality for me was the guy at work, who got me into DE, told me about many other blades and his take on them then gave me a tuck of Astra's and said try these they are sharp and smooth. I used up the tuck and ordered a 100 Astra's on line learning on them. Then razor blade acquisition disorder set in thanks to B&B and I haven't really found a blade I can't get a good shave from...wow...curious!

I always give that advice but I shave with a different blade and razor every day. BUT (big but here)... I have been shaving with DE razors for half a centry so I sort of "got it together".

I have 6 blade wrappers on my counter numbered 1 - 6 for the number of shaves on the blade sitting on that piece of paper.

When I shave I decide which razor I want to use, then pick one of the unwrapped blades (or if none "tickle my fancy", I'll unwrap a different one).

When I finish, I remove the blade from the razor and place it on the next numbered paper.

This is the only way I can keep track of the number of shaves on each of a dozen or so blades.

Now if you are not getting perfect BBS shaves every day, then stick with one blade and work on your shaving technique,

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
I am a fan of Personna Med Preps, but regardless, try the Astra next. Then try the Crystal, Personna... I'd save the Feathers for last.
I think you owe it to yourself to try each of the blades in your sampler pack... at least one blade one or two shaves, so you have a baseline to judge for yourself.

Albeit the difference is subtle between the two, I'd go with Astra SS (blue box) over the SP (green box). The SS blades are equally as sharp and just that much smoother. Cost is about the same as well...

Top Bottom