What's new

Gillette Old Type or Dark side of the Gillette

I'm a big fan of Gillette OLD types and their clones but your comment makes no sense to me at all.

I read that as a very steep angle (handle closer to floor) is the preferred shaving angle while a shallower angle (handle higher from floor) is more likely to cause cuts and irritation. I have a few OT's but all I use now are Tech's and the Fatboy, so if I do try an OT again I will see how that affects the shave.

I use my thick cap OT for head shaves. Its definitely not a daily driver, but I pull it out a couple times a month.

I have tamed it with Astra SP blades and very shallow angles. YMMV and all of that, but the moment I lose focus and increas the steepness of the angle...she bites. Almost immediately...

Of all my razors, she demands the most focus, but also provides the closest shave, with the lingrst-lasting BBS finish...

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Both my OLDs are weepermakers, but with a non-scary blade, nothing's a closer shave ... not for the skill-less.

Haven't had a nick in weeks with this Red Tip, so it may be time to break out an OLD again ... they are elegant and storied razors.

AA

Reactions: Anu
I have never used a steep angle with an OT. My advice is to start with the cap flat on the face and handle sticking straight out. Slowly lower the handle until it starts cutting hair. I find mine works best with a light touch (try to just remove the lather) and a shallow angle.
But YMMV.

I agree 100% with this! Steep leads to cuts, razor burn, and ingrown hairs for me. But as they say YMMV!

I have never used a steep angle with an OT. My advice is to start with the cap flat on the face and handle sticking straight out. Slowly lower the handle until it starts cutting hair. I find mine works best with a light touch (try to just remove the lather) and a shallow angle.
But YMMV.

+1 :thumbup1:

Try a steep blade angle. Lower that handle and be prepared to be amazed.

Actually, I don't pay much attention to angle these days, there's a fairly narrow range of angle that will shave with an OLD.

OLD types always amaze me with fantastic, perfect shaves every time, every day. Go too steep and all you get is teeth and no blade.

But I know what you mean Edgar, you are "The Man!" :thumbup1:

you are "The Man!" :thumbup1:

That's Stan. :tongue_sm

Shallow or steep doesn't really matter, I do prefer a fairly steep angle, but both approaches will work. It's up to the OP to find the one that suits him better.

BTW, Toby, if you go too shallow all you get is cap and no blade. :lol: :tongue_sm

Shallow or steep doesn't really matter, I do prefer a fairly steep angle, but both approaches will work. It's up to the OP to find the one that suits him better.

BTW, Toby, if you go too shallow all you get is cap and no blade. :lol: :tongue_sm

Yeah, I know. :001_rolle

BTW, Toby, if you go too shallow all you get is cap and no blade.[emoji38]:tongue_sm
Yep. True story. And it's pretty difficult to get a shave withva cap [emoji1]

Top Bottom