What's new

Right to left hand control

So I'm going to try my HAND at shaving the right side of my face with my left hand. Before I hack up my beautiful face, can you guys give me any pointers?

Try using the hand that corresponds with that side of the face - it will serve you better over time. It is something I am trying to do myself and I think the hard areas under my right jaw are easier to get with my right hand - I am a lefty.

Pray you are more left-handed then you think you are.....

Having said that, just take it slow. Try just shaving your cheeks, and mind ANY horizontal movement as that could result in a cut. I would spend some time with the razor in-hand prior to shaving just getting comfortable with it in your non-dominant hand.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Wow just thinking about it got me all twisted up like some kinda circus contortionist shave yoga. I just use my right hand for both sides. But maybe if you are kinda fumbly with the left hand, and you really want to use the left, try different grips using an extremely dull razor and just scoop the lather off your face. There are a LOT of different grips you can use and there is at least one to address every possible shave direction, location, and hand.

Try locking your wrist and making a fluid arm movement. I'm right handed and worried about using both hands when I started, but found my left hand more comfortable initially.

It odd but effective. I started using just my right(dominate) hand,but I just had hand surgery so my left indext is not cooperative lol so back to right hand only.both work but two hands the best..better Angeles

Have you watched Chimensch video. That's how he shaves, I find it works well for me also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Legion

Staff member
Just practice. It becomes easy.

I find the hair on my neck grows at weird angles. Being able to switch hands is a big help. Plus my vision is never blocked by my shaving arm.

Top-down I shave the right side of my face with my right hand, the left side with the left hand. Bottom-up I've found it easier the other way around: right with left and left with right.
Using both hands took a (short) while geting used to, but is worth it.

So I'm going to try my HAND at shaving the right side of my face with my left hand. Before I hack up my beautiful face, can you guys give me any pointers?

First off use the right hand, for the right side of face, left hand for left side.

You'll find your own way to shave, that's comfortable for you, when I first started using the SR, my left hand seemed totally out of the question to hold a razor let alone shave with it, but with small steps, now it is the only way I can shave. What I'm saying here is start with the proper technique even though awkward at first.

Last edited:

Yeah. What ever you do on one side, do the same thing on the other! No seriously though, it's alot easier than you think. A few shaves and you'll get it. Its just muscle memory. Don't sweat it bud!

I do all my shaving with my right hand and all my stretching with my left.

Me too! I'm not saying it looks as "smooth" or cool as James Bond in the movies BUT it ain't Freddie Krugger's nightmare on elm street either (which is the blood bath that is likely if I tried to do too much with my left).

I wonder if anyone would like to share some of the unique ways they hold the razor to compensate for being an all right hand shaver. I myself was considering a separate thread asking for such contributions.

I'm a dedicated righty, too--just couldn't imagine using my left hand for either side. Just take your time, use a light touch, and watch your angle. ;)

I use both hands for almost all WTG (left hand for left side, right hand for right side) but right hand only for ATG.

Top Bottom