What's new

Tabac liquefying?

Has anyone had a problem with their Tabac liquefying? My Tabac is a little over a year old and I use it every couple of weeks. Lately the centre is becoming more of a cream than a soap. I don't think I'm leaving excessive water on it and I've never had this problem with Proraso or Cella. It smells okay. Any thoughts?

I have only had that issue when I didn't allow it to dry between uses, or I tried blooming it. It didn't affect the performance but was an odd snooty consistency.

This has also happened to me when I didn't allow it to dry from loading my brush.

Leave it out to dry for a couple of days and see if it improves.

Happening to mine as I'm 3017'ing it. Makes loading interesting as it is a bit goopy. Hasn't bothered performance and I'm almost finished with it anyways. Should be fine to try and let it dry out and refrain from blooming it when in use.

The poblem with Tabac is not the soap but the bowl as it has a dome in the bottom where the puck rests on, this leaves big gaps on the outer ring on the bottom. If you take a wet brush to the soap some water can get past the soap and gets trapped there, wetting the soap from the bottom up. Leaving the soap to dry will do nothing but dry the surface but the water is still underneath. I only take a damp brush to the soap as to limit the amount of water that can seep through and never rinse the puck. After loading the brush I add water to the lather but never get the puck wet and this seems to work well. I don't like slimy soap, think it's disgusting so I do my best to keep it as dry as possible.
Here is a crappy drawing of what I mean is going on in the bowl where the pink part is the void under the soap where water gets trapped.
$tabac.jpg

Whoa this made me think. I've been blooming all my soaps because I use it as my pre-shave. Are there soaps that you're not supposed to bloom?

Whoa this made me think. I've been blooming all my soaps because I use it as my pre-shave. Are there soaps that you're not supposed to bloom?

Soap is soap. I wouldn't soak a cream or croap since that would produce something difficult to load but it's all personal preference.

Temperature and sunlight, on the other hand, can most definitely adversely affect a soap.

Interesting point about the soap bowl it comes in.

I used Tabac for a month straight and have never had this issue.

I add a TBSP or so of warm water to the top of my hard soap pucks (not croaps)...more of a ritual than a necessity, although if a hard soap hasn't been used for a while it seems to help with the loading.

As far as Tabac is concerned..it's so easy to lather, "blooming" isn't needed IMHO. My Tabac lives in an uncovered bowl, so it does dry between uses. I would suspect if I kept it tightly covered it might get soft/liquefy.

Some soaps need to be uncapped for a while after usage. Especially soft soaps, but this soap isn't soft. However, you should leave it uncapped for at least a half a day to let it air out.

The poblem with Tabac is not the soap but the bowl as it has a dome in the bottom where the puck rests on, this leaves big gaps on the outer ring on the bottom. If you take a wet brush to the soap some water can get past the soap and gets trapped there, wetting the soap from the bottom up. Leaving the soap to dry will do nothing but dry the surface but the water is still underneath. I only take a damp brush to the soap as to limit the amount of water that can seep through and never rinse the puck. After loading the brush I add water to the lather but never get the puck wet and this seems to work well. I don't like slimy soap, think it's disgusting so I do my best to keep it as dry as possible.
Here is a crappy drawing of what I mean is going on in the bowl where the pink part is the void under the soap where water gets trapped.
View attachment 636509
This is great Puerco. I have been using Tabac in the jar quite a bit recently. I always let it dry completely on the surface all day before recapping, but that may not be addressing water leaking down under the soap. I may find a soggy mess as I work my way through the puck. I'm expecting at least 120 4 pass shaves out of this puck. We'll see what happens as I get into the last quarter.

I leave mine dry upside down first..onto a paper towel for a while. Then after all the water appears to have gravitated out, I tip the bowl up the right way and allow to finish drying. in the morning if I use it , I would tip it, go make some coffee and toast and just before I head out after brushing my teeth, I will flip it right way up and allow to dry.

If I have a soap that disintegrates into a goopy mess, it's Caties Bubbles. Croaps tend to do turn to slop more easily and require more drying even where you have gone easy on the water to start.

Tabac, Reef Point and Sterling haven't been a problem for me so far...they have impeccable manners and hold it together pretty well.

Anyway..try tipping the bowl upside down onto a paper towel to get the loose water out of their and see if that improves your Tabac experience.

Last edited:
This happened to me as well and I think its part of the charm of this incredible soap. It started out as a hard soap which later morphed into a soft soap about 60days later and finally turned into a high quality cream. I 3017ed my Tabac and suppose this wouldn't happen if you use it in rotation. But nowhere during all these changes in consistency did I see a drop in performance.

I am guilty of not drying out the soap between shaves. I also kept it covered until the last few weeks.

This happened to my first puck but not my second. No idea what I did differently the second time. I was soaking with hot water while in the shower.

I've never ever had that problem. One day the jar will be empty and I'll find no fluid no goop no nothing underneath.

When the puck is finished, you can fill that hollow area with wax before putting the Tabac refill puck on top.

Top Bottom