What's new

Is my brush a liability?

So I have 1 brush. Its a perfecto badger hair brush ($13 on Amazon). I bought it a couple weeks ago as a first brush to figure out if it was worth having one.

Definitely worth having one!

However, now that I've been wandering the forums, I feel like my brush game needs some help. I'm, obviously, very new and have a lot to learn about building lather. But does my brush choice handicap me at all? I've seen some people talk about an average $75-100 for a badger brush, ~$50 for Boar, and I am trying to figure out if I should jump for a better brush. I'm hooked on DE shaving and will be doing this for a while, but I'm not in a rush to get something for $75 if there isn't going to be marked improvement.

Just wondering what your opinions are about this, and any "better" starter brushes.

BTW - Building lather in a mug for now, haven't tried a face lather yet...

I would just get a new 2nd brush. An Omega boar like the Pro 49 is cheap and widely liked by beginners and experienced alike. Or get one of the new Razorback Plissofts for dirt cheap and great performance.

Agree with above. There are many very good synthetice available for a little coin such as the Razorback and Whipped Dog synths get a lot of love here.

For great boar value, look at an Omega 0049 and Semogue 620 and 1305. All are less than $25.

Enjoy.

Omega 10066 is around $10. You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a good brush. Your $13 one is probably fine, but what the heck, I have a half dozen brushes, so who am I to suggest you not get another. You MUST HAVE a boar, another badger, a horse and a synthetic and perhaps a couple of back ups just in case you wear one out in 10-15 years.

I used a Vulfix Super badger for 1 1/2 years then bought a Simpsons 46 in best. For Chritmas last year my wife bought me a Semogue boar brush. My favourite out of those is definitely the boar. I find the boar gives a good face feel although not as soft as a badger but I absolutely love the spring and backbone to it. It doesn't turn into a floppy old noodle when loaded with lather. That boar brush I think is sold up here for 35 Canadian so you folks can probably pick it up for about $5 American. Lol just kidding. Anyways the point is that you don't have to break the bank to enjoy a brush. Good luck.

Your $13 one is probably fine, but what the heck, I have a half dozen brushes, so who am I to suggest you not get another. You MUST HAVE a boar, another badger, a horse and a synthetic and perhaps a couple of back ups just in case you wear one out in 10-15 years.

Thanks for the encouragement! (and the validation of indulging on brushes)

There aren't many brushes that don't make great lather. I bet your brush can make wonderful lather. The downside with low end badger brushes is that they are often prickly and often shed lots of hairs. If you aren't experiencing either of those, don't sweat it. I agree with the guys above, a decent boar brush is an awesome second brush that won't break the bank. If you like very soft brushes, check out the new synthetic brushes from Italian Barber. They will also only set you back 10 dollars, and they are wonderful performers. Lots of folks around here have said if they were starting over right now, they might never buy an expensive badger because the new synthetics are such great performers.

Whipped Dog brushes are phenomenal for the price, definitely worth checking out.

I've got a Whipped Dog High Mountain Badger and honestly, I love it as much as I love my Thater.

I have not tried a Razorock out, but I would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend a Whipped Dog brush. Either a Silver Tip or High Mountain Badger! If you need help figuring out what you want send Larry an e-mail and tell him what you enjoy shaving with / if you are a face latherer or a bowl lathering fan. Tell him your price range etc. You're looking at roughly 37$ for a 5mm loft on a 22mm Silver Tip Badger brush. You can change the type of badger / size / loft. A lot of people think you need to buy the brush and handle and do it yourself, Larry actually will do it for you. The normal handles are no extra. (I have a 30mm High Mountain Badger brush) and I LOVE it!
I would strongly suggest Whipped Dog for your second brush! You will be VERY VERY VERY satisfied with it!

Yep. You definitely need a boar and synthetic. You can't be one of the cool kids til you try them all and the sweet thing is you can get an omega for like $13 and that razorock plissoft for around $10.00 plus shipping. I like my omega boars and plissoft over my $40.00 best badger.

I would just get a new 2nd brush. An Omega boar like the Pro 49 is cheap and widely liked by beginners and experienced alike. Or get one of the new Razorback Plissofts for dirt cheap and great performance.

i just ordered a Razorock Plissoft and can't wait to get it.

it really depends on what you like. You can spend $50 and get a really good badger brush. for me the feel of the better badgers is way beyond boar, horse or synthetic.

+3 on the Razorock Plissoft. Can't get better for the price.
I use a lot of hard soap so I generally use an Omega S synthetic ($7) on hard soap as it has good backbone for a synthetic. So when I use the Plissoft with a soap stick or with a soft soap like Proraso it feels like I'm getting a warm face massage. Damn good brush.

Semogue and Omega boars, many brushes around the $15 to $25 mark.

The B&B essential boar (West Coast Shaving) is an Omega knot and a great brush for bowl and face lathering, as is the Semogue 1305.

Get every brush imaginable because life is too short and you need variety. Just spend within your means and you will be a happy camper. Plus it is fun to switch your equipment. Each brush has different characteristics so you tend to favor one over the other. Some days you want a floppy, other days you may want a little bit more backbone. Soft hairs are always nice, but prickly is OK if you feel like you need to exfoliate a bit more.

You can decide to stay in the $10-25 range for brushes. Some folks like the higher end brushes where handcrafting comes into play. Some people really get into it and create custom brushes for their needs.

Whatever you decide, I am sure you will create your own unique collection that works for you.

Top Bottom