What's new

What grinder to get

I am trying to move away from pre ground coffee and I was wondering what a decent coffee grinder would be. I am disabled and on a fixed income so I can't afford something pricey. I am just looking for something dependable that will give me a good grind. Any suggestions?

I have been using a Krups daily for about 20 years. They are readily available from Macy's, JCP, Bed, Bath, & Beyond and many other vendors for about $20-$25.

Try a thrift store / Salvation Army first.

So many people are moving to pod-style prepackaged floor sweepings and getting rid of their good machines, you may find a gem.

Try a thrift store / Salvation Army first.

So many people are moving to pod-style prepackaged floor sweepings and getting rid of their good machines, you may find a gem.

Other then the Krups style whirly blade one, I've never seen a good grinder and that includes estate sales and flea markets as well. But I still look., so it's a darn good suggestion.

The Krups style can be found at most estate sales for 3 - 5 bucks from new to forget it. We have one just for grinding flax seed.

-jim

Most stores that sell whole beans have a very good burr grinder available for patrons to grind their beans prior to purchase.

Personally, I think you'd produce a much better cup using the store grinder and purchase a week's worth at a time, rather than blowing $20 on a whirlybird. Save your $20 and put it in your grinder fund until you can splurge on a $120 Baratza (my choice for entry-ish level grinder)

The issue I've found with store grinders is previous coffee can mix in with yours. Not a big deal unless it was a flavored coffee. Then it's horrible.

Not as good as grinding just what you need that moment, but cheapest option. I have been that route.

-jim

I am trying to move away from pre ground coffee and I was wondering what a decent coffee grinder would be. I am disabled and on a fixed income so I can't afford something pricey. I am just looking for something dependable that will give me a good grind. Any suggestions?

Would your disability make a hand grinder not fieasable?

If not, look into the Hario Skeriton or Kyocera CM-50. Both are made by Kyocera and are identical.

It takes me about 2 minutes of grinding for a 6 cup Chemex.

proxy.php

Other then the Krups style whirly blade one, I've never seen a good grinder and that includes estate sales and flea markets as well. But I still look., so it's a darn good suggestion.

I have seen a couple in the past two years but I live in a community full of ancient fossils or younger, dumber TV-watching beer guzzling 2-3 kids types so it's rare to see anything of good value.

I did buy a burr grinder from Wal-Mart a couple of years back, inexpensive but decent, can't get a fine/very fine grind but what I get works OK for me. It was in the $45 range I believe.

The bodum grinder is probably the cheapest burr grinder that isn't a manual. If you can use a manual grinder I'd go with the Hario/Kyocera. They usually just sit on a shelf so if you get one from a brick and mortar you stand a good chance of getting the older model which you can use the orphan espresso lower bearing upgrade kit on. Also freshly roasted coffee is generally good for 15 days from the roast; freshly ground coffee is only good 15 minutes from being ground. After that oxidation pulls a lot of the different flavors and nuance out of it. Even fresh ground coffee with a blade grinder will be superior to coffee ground last week so you don't have to get a burr grinder if you can't find an affordable one. Ebay and Craig's List are also great sources for used grinders as people upgrade and then have no need for their old one. Hope this info helps.

My Kitchenaid proline grinder has been solid, it has ground many pounds of coffee without needing any attention other than an occasional burr cleaning.

If making drip coffee using paper filters, then a whirly blade chopper can be good enough. Using a burr grinder is better, but the biggest part of the taste upgrade can be gotten from a basic whirly blade. YMMV.

What kind of coffee machine do you own?

If it's an espresso machine and you want an electric grinder (rather than a manual grinder), then you shouldn't settle for anything less that a Baratza Encore, or you'll probably regret the resulting coffee.

If it's a drip coffee machine then just get the best burr grinder (not a spinning blade grinder) that you can afford.

No, hand grinding is acceptable, in fact I think I would prefer it.
My disability is with my back and legs, I can hand grind.
Would your disability make a hand grinder not fieasable?

If not, look into the Hario Skeriton or Kyocera CM-50. Both are made by Kyocera and are identical.

It takes me about 2 minutes of grinding for a 6 cup Chemex.

proxy.php

Right now I am using a drip coffee machine. While it is okay, I am also looking for a good and again low cost brewing machine.
Many asked what my price range is, so $50.00 is pushing my limit. That is my limit for grinder and I hope to get something for less that that. I could also afford around $50.00 for a brewer, I would just have to stagger the purchases over a couple of months.
Being tight on funds really sucks.
What kind of coffee machine do you own?

If it's an espresso machine and you want an electric grinder (rather than a manual grinder), then you shouldn't settle for anything less that a Baratza Encore, or you'll probably regret the resulting coffee.

If it's a drip coffee machine then just get the best burr grinder (not a spinning blade grinder) that you can afford.

How much coffee do you make each time? If you're just brewing for yourself, then the Hario hand grinder mentioned above plus a coffee drip cone + filters would get you some damn fine coffee, all for under $50.

How much coffee do you make each time? If you're just brewing for yourself, then the Hario hand grinder mentioned above plus a coffee drip cone + filters would get you some damn fine coffee, all for under $50.

I am brewing just for myself. As I said I am new to this. Could you give me some advice or explain a coffee drip cone? I assume it is for a pour over coffee. Is there a particular pour over brewer I should get? Should I use paper filters or a permanent stainless steel filter?

I use a cone dripper made by Hario - model V60 size 02 - about 8 bucks on Amazon. I use paper filters, about 6 bucks for 100. I hand grind the beans and place the dripper over my cup and use a slow and steady pour over technique. You can see the whole process if you search "pour over coffee" on YouTube, etc.

I also use a small digital scale to weigh my beans and water - about 17 bucks on Amazon - but that's a different rabbit hole all together ;-) and not really necessary. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Top Bottom