What's new

Favorite gin?

Started to explore gin a bit more. Have Hendricks and Plymouth in my cabinet, both are nice for different reasons. Curious if there's any gin lovers out there, and what styles/bottles do you enjoy?

I used to drink Plymouth occasionally until they changed the bottle and doubled the price. Now I drink mostly Beefeaters, Brokers or Gordons (a good low cost gin for G&T). I like both Bombay gins, but I can't justify their extra cost over Beefeaters. I avoid the flavored (citrus, cucumber, etc) gins. The worst gin I ever tried was Burnetts. I couldn't even drink it in a G&T. It was the only bottle of gin I ever dumped down the drain.

$image.jpg

Handcrafted in Knoxville, TN. This is THE gin to use for a right proper martini. Finest Kind!!

Gordons is an excellent all-around go to. Good for G&Ts, Martinis, etc. Going higher up the scale: Hendricks*, Tanqueray 10, Bombay (white), Plymoth.

Not a fan of Bombay Sapphire, but many people like it. It's worth a sample anyway.

*Try Hendrick's (as suggested on the bottle) with a slice of cucumber. I find it especially refreshing in a G&T --I muddle a slice of cucumber, add the gin, fill with ice, add tonic water to fill. Garnish with another slice of cucumber.

Bombay Sapphire for my martinis. Recently I tried something called Monkey 47, a German gin. It was the most unusual gin I have every tasted. Had it with two ice cubes at a bar with one of my sons. We both liked it but couldn't put our finger on what botanicals are in it.

I like Bombay Sapphire for G&T's, the only thing I really use gin for. I am working through a bottle of New Amsterdam right now and it's pretty decent but I will probably replace it with Bombay when it's gone.

Top Bottom