What's new

I'm buying a truck, what do you think?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I think the F150 is out simply because there are options I want that aren't available even on the top of the line model.
Looking at options for a SRW F250 right now.
I may reassess that as I investigate options.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Phil's mid-life crisis mobile.

proxy.php

Ouch's mid-life crisis mobile.

proxy.php

I have no experience with fords but do drive a 1 ton GMC. It is for work, it does tow big things a lot. It is the best business decision I made.

These big trucks will beat the hell out of you if they don't have something heavy in/on the back. You are in the Chicago area so a DRW is just a plain bad idea. I live in a rural area where the truck is king and it is still difficult parking a 1 ton crew cab.

If you go big, go Diesel. The Power Strokes are quiet. Not as bullet proof as my Duramax but still monsters.

The only way I'd even consider a DRW outside of a work truck is if I had definite plans retire and tow a fifth wheel across the country. Other than that the difficulties in parking the truck would outweigh the benefits. It's going to ride the nicest when you are towing and not so good when you're not.

Even parking a SRW truck is slightly difficult as I find myself backing into spots or parking at the back of the lot most times. I have a 6 foot bed on mine. A longer 8 foot bed is better for towing as it spreads the wheelbase a bit more, but it's much worst for parking. A friend had a DRW truck and said that it was absolutely miserable as a daily driver. It sat mostly unused except for when they went camping and towed the toy hauler.

As far as 150 vs. 250 vs. 350 the difference between 150 and 250 is substantial. The 150 is going to drive more like a car than the other two options. The difference between the 250 and 350 isn't nearly as large. If you have any ideas about towing a camper any larger than a pop up skip the 150 and go with the 250. With the 150 (1/2 ton truck) towing our toy hauler is a white knuckle experience that requires my constant attention as well as some prayers. With the 3/4 ton truck it's not like it's even there. For me the 3/4 ton is definitely a true truck that's made for some heavy lifting. The one tons provide a little more carrying capacity in the bed (great for a fifth wheel) but it's certainly overkill for most non work/towing applications.

I'd go SWD in the 3/4 ton truck with the shorter bed.

I have no experience with fords but do drive a 1 ton GMC. It is for work, it does tow big things a lot. It is the best business decision I made.

These big trucks will beat the hell out of you if they don't have something heavy in/on the back. You are in the Chicago area so a DRW is just a plain bad idea. I live in a rural area where the truck is king and it is still difficult parking a 1 ton crew cab.

If you go big, go Diesel. The Power Strokes are quiet. Not as bullet proof as my Duramax but still monsters.

I disagree with the diesel if you aren't a puller. The 6.2 will give plenty of power in the 250, and the diesel just opens up a can of worms if you don't need it.

While Chicago doesn't get exactly arctic, it still gets plenty cold enough to add issues in the winter time. Blended fuel around there is almost a specialty item; as the mandated "bean" content increases, the quality of cold weather fuel gets more and more inconsistent. The new emission systems are problem prone in cold weather because of condensation. Power Service type additives need to be kept on hand. Something as simple as the littlest bit of moisture or coagulated "bean curd wax" in your fuel filter can leave you on the side of the road. Exhaust fluid additive isn't a big deal if you need it, but why go there if you don't? Oil changes cost three times as much.

YMMV, but if you live in a cold climate, going diesel if you don't need it, can be a serious chore without any pay off.

There is a reason Ford pickups have been the best selling trucks for many, many, years. My current truck is a 2010 F150 STX. 4WD, 4.6 liter engine. Got it with the Ford factory towing package. Up here in the mountains, it will do whatever I ask, whenever and wherever I ask. Handling on mountain roads is no sweat and it tows anything I put behind it (within spec of course).
$image.jpg

For me, a dual-axle/diesel package would be kind of overkill. But then, I have always believed in the "go big or go home" philosophy as well.

Good points, and things for Phil to consider, but he does not need a truck either, much less a large truck. So, really a large truck is overkill to begin with. Might as well go all out.

Go for it Phil whatever you buy.

I disagree with the diesel if you aren't a puller. The 6.2 will give plenty of power in the 250, and the diesel just opens up a can of worms if you don't need it.

While Chicago doesn't get exactly arctic, it still gets plenty cold enough to add issues in the winter time. Blended fuel around there is almost a specialty item; as the mandated "bean" content increases, the quality of cold weather fuel gets more and more inconsistent. The new emission systems are problem prone in cold weather because of condensation. Power Service type additives need to be kept on hand. Something as simple as the littlest bit of moisture or coagulated "bean curd wax" in your fuel filter can leave you on the side of the road. Exhaust fluid additive isn't a big deal if you need it, but why go there if you don't? Oil changes cost three times as much.

YMMV, but if you live in a cold climate, going diesel if you don't need it, can be a serious chore without any pay off.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Not doing diesel no matter what. I have friends that own them, and it seems that they are constantly dealing with issues.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Looking into aftermarket dually kits for an F250, and air bag suspension for F350.
Both potential solutions to my dilemma.

Looking into aftermarket dually kits for an F250, and air bag suspension for F350.
Both potential solutions to my dilemma.

If you do air springs, just know that you will need to do more than an air helper kit. The air helpers are great when you are towing, but won't do anything to improve the ride if you are unladen. You'll need a kit where the air spring becomes the primary spring for the vehicle in order to get an improved ride.

We're all letting Phil down. Since this is B&B the only reasonable answer is to buy both SRW and DRW trucks. If he doesn't like one of them it can go on the BST forum after a month.

My uncle had some diesel vehicles. He had enough problems with them in a climate similar to Chicago that I really wouldn't recommend that option to anybody that didn't have a need to do so.

I know a lot of farmers that do hauling and towing with their trucks at certain times of the year. Several of them have bought a dual rear wheel pickup truck, but none of them have bought a second one. The only guys that I know who have stayed with the dual wheels have trucking companies that use a fifth wheel trailer a lot or retired guys with campers. That tells me that most people want to stay away from the duals unless they need them, but if they need them they really need them.

Wait a bit and get the new 2017 Ford Raptor. Or get a used one with the 6.2L.
proxy.php

This :thumbup: ! I think that the point has been made that unless you have a towing need, then perhaps an F150 may fit the bill. If as you stated there are simply some "must have" options that are only available in the larger 250/350 packages, then go with the 250. I was just shy of getting a 4X4 F150 Supercrew Platinum with the 3.5L Ecoboost. I decided on something more "family" oriented since I didn't want the wife to have to fight with a new baby loading things into the bed of the truck and our toddler driving her crazy. The Ford will be our next vehicle when we are able.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
If you do air springs, just know that you will need to do more than an air helper kit. The air helpers are great when you are towing, but won't do anything to improve the ride if you are unladen. You'll need a kit where the air spring becomes the primary spring for the vehicle in order to get an improved ride.

I saw that. A full replacement kit, which isn't that big a deal, but the aftermarket hassle of it is kind of unappealing. The idea of getting a truck, then immediately taking it to a shop and all.

We're all letting Phil down. Since this is B&B the only reasonable answer is to buy both SRW and DRW trucks. If he doesn't like one of them it can go on the BST forum after a month.

My uncle had some diesel vehicles. He had enough problems with them in a climate similar to Chicago that I really wouldn't recommend that option to anybody that didn't have a need to do so.

I know a lot of farmers that do hauling and towing with their trucks at certain times of the year. Several of them have bought a dual rear wheel pickup truck, but none of them have bought a second one. The only guys that I know who have stayed with the dual wheels have trucking companies that use a fifth wheel trailer a lot or retired guys with campers. That tells me that most people want to stay away from the duals unless they need them, but if they need them they really need them.

You guys have convinced me that the dually is not the way to go, no matter how cool it looks. I'm checking other options.

Are you just wanting a dually for the looks of it? If so instead of looking at a aftermarket kit to make a 250 a dually why not look at one to make a 150 a dually or even a ranger. You would get the look of a dually you want without all the extra truck that goes with it; initial cost, size, ride comfort, fuel economy, cost to maintain. I'll look for a picture of the ranger I am thinking of

proxy.php

Here's one. The guy is a member on ford ranger forum. Older truck and overall I don't like his setup all that much. Still an extremely nice truck in my opinion but dually' just aren't for me

Top Bottom