What's new

Sig Sauer P226 MK25

Well, I think I found the first gun I want to buy, it being the P226 MK25. I receive a special discount as an EMT and the difference between the P226 and MK25 is 51$. So I think it's a no brainer.

What is y'alls opinion on the P226 MK25 - is it worth it?

Great pistol. It does have it's issues though as does just about any pistol. The double action first trigger pull followed up by single action trigger pulls takes a lot of training to make work well plus the added steps of working the de-cocker. It's a heavy pistol at just over two pounds empty. It's a large pistol if concealed carry is a concern of yours. It has a lot of weight over the bore of the pistol making it harder to control in rapid fire although the overall weight of the pistil somewhat mitigates this, basically it has a large heavy slide and every time the pistol fires and recoils all that mass above the bore it moving fast and making it harder to keep on your sights and target. So instead of recoiling more straight back it wants to recoil more upwards contributing to more muzzle flip. Finally the Seals and MARSOC have recently decided to move away from the Sig and to a Glock 19 as their primary pistol, if that matters at all to you. I am not privy to the reasons for this but likely it has to do with weight and conceal-ability more than anything.

My personal choice for a pistol is either a Glock 17 or 19 or a S&W M&P 9mm. I prefer 9mm as it is easier to shoot with a balance of speed and accuracy, it's cheaper and you get more rounds in a given pistol size. Many studies, including ones done by the FBI, have showed the terminal performance (a primary concern if self/home defence is a reason for purchasing the pistol) of all pistol rounds to be so similar as to not matter.

Worth it? Well if your going to get a Sig and the cost differential between the MK25 and a regular P226 is $51 I'd certainly get a MK25. Of course these are all just my opinions on the matter.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I LOVE my mk25. If the house is burning down I'll let my wife grab the photo albums and I'm getting the Sig. It's not a gun that I would want to carry everyday, but for a home defense, a range gun, or occasional carry it's great. It is the one gun that everyone enjoys shooting whether they are a novice or seasoned.

SA/DA is something that takes practice, I always practice singles and triples starting with the hammer down.

The only issue I have is with the placement of the slide stop. If you like to shoot with your thumbs high it's easy to ride the stop, and this prevents the slide from locking back after ejecting the last round.

Thank you Derrick and Mark, both comments are very insightful - just a question what you two what do/did you have your MK25 chambered in?

The only dumb question is the one not asked. If you have any more questions about the pistol feel free to ask away or PM me. Personally if I was going to buy another pistol it would be a Glock g19. Same amount of rounds, smaller/less weight, easier to shoot accurately quickly (more controllable under recoil), consistent trigger pull shot to shot, and lower cost. The $ saved on the pistol I would invest in ammo and good training. Let us know what you decide. All the best.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The only dumb question is the one not asked. If you have any more questions about the pistol feel free to ask away or PM me. Personally if I was going to buy another pistol it would be a Glock g19. Same amount of rounds, smaller/less weight, easier to shoot accurately quickly (more controllable under recoil), consistent trigger pull shot to shot, and lower cost. The $ saved on the pistol I would invest in ammo and good training. Let us know what you decide. All the best.

Navy Seals agree with you.

:popc:

I carry a P228 (similar gun 228 is a bit smaller) at work and I am not a huge fan. The hand guard screws always manage to come loose even with lock tite and the trigger pull is pretty bad on the double action (12.12 pounds). Not necessarily a bad gun but IMO you can get better for less. I will say this... they will take some serious abuse. I am a H&K guy so I guess I am just partial to what I like.

Last edited:
As you can see from my name I am a Sig fan. A West German P226 was my very first pistol and still is one of my favorite. I love the balance, and although the DA/SA takes some getting used to, it's a very smooth operation. They take a beating but very large to carry.
Out of my carry selections is my P225 which is my favorite pistol. Single stack 9 mike mike, same Sig operation and fits better than a 239 in my hand.
For $51 extra, do it !

I've got a Sig P226 9mm Navy, bought in 2006. Great pistol, smooth trigger, slide moves on the frame like it's on ball bearings.

I don't shoot it much, bought it as a SHTF pistol, have extra recoil and mag springs, three original mags and another 3-4 MecGar mags.

In the safe... probably will be the SHTF PISTOL.

I carry a CCO Commander 1911 .45ACP or Glock 19.

The older Sigs, are fantastic pistols, great workmanship!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Shot one last weekend, oddly enough.

The whole series of Sig handguns are top notch engineering; wonderful guns.

AA

Top Bottom