What's new

New Blood Donor Here! New to DE

Thanks everyone. So... day two with DE shaving. A little better on the face. Less blood anyway, but my neck is still irritated as all hell and it's not a close shave at all. But not as bad blood-wise as yesterday. Also, I shaved my head this morning too. That went pretty well, actually. A little irritation, one nick, but overall not bad.

So, my question is, with regards to my face- do I take a day off to let it heal a little before trying again? I'm generally one of those shave every day guys. Or do I go back to my cartridge and get a decent shave that won't irritate me before I try again? Or... just push through the irritation and keep trying with the DE? Thoughts?

Yes, if you can give your face a day to heal.

Here's another tip or two.

Bw sure you have sufficient water in your lather. Also, I find it helpful to wet my face before applying lather before each pass.

What you do after you shave also is important. You may want to try the following. After you shave take a washcloth that has been dipped in cold water and apply that to your face and neck. Next apply some WH and after that dries an ASB or moisturizer to your face and neck. Also, apply a good quality moisturizer to your face and neck, at night before retiring.

Ok... third shave with a DE... MUCH better. I went against advice and made some changes. In addition to the Parker 96R, I had also purchased a Merkur 34C. Not sure if the Parker is supposed to be more aggressive or the shorter handle of the Merkur just gave me better control, but I had a much better shave with the Merkur, using the same Personna Blue blades. I did also change my shave cream, but I'm not sure that made any difference. I still have some irritation, but I think it was so bad after Wednesday that it's just leftover. Much happier now. Thanks again for all the advice!

I had a totally oposite start a month ago on DE shaving. I was using my Dad's Injector on a week old beard. I had pretty much given up on the twin blade disposables that I had been using as I could draw blood with those. 30 plus years ofnshaving and can't use electrics at all as they give me a rash. So I gave up shaving every 2 or 3 days and figured if I was going to bleed it could just as well be over a SE and a week old beard. I have the Merkur 34c and it is mild compared to my Injector. I also started with VDH Luxury soap and had my first blood free shave 4 to 5 weeks ago. Now I am back to 2 day shaves ritually and other than 2 shaves I might have lost my touch and drew some blood for the biggest part I am irritation free and blood letting is just about nonexistent and am loving the shaves. If the soap you are using isn't working try another soap. Expensive is not always better, I have a puck of TOBS Traditional and made my face tingly and kind of itchy. Going to try it again to see if it is a fluke. I have switched out my 34c for a vintage Gillette Slim adjustable in my birth year and I absolutely love it. 34c works great, my Gillette Tech ball end is also another nice shaver similar to the Merkur.

So if the Merkur helped then maybe try another soap. As mentioned you can find VDH at some drugstores and at certain Walmart's. Been to 2 different ones and only one had it. While you are at your drugstore you could also try a puck of Williams. I am not that fond of it but it has a following. It is a tallow based soap and even though to me it is mediocre I got a decent shave from it and it is just about dirt cheap.

Hope you find what works for you and enjoy DE shaving.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Just a reminder to VDH newbies, it works MUCH better if you bloom it. Get out of the shower. Run hot hot water and let it stand on the soap in your mug. Soak the brush in it too, especially if you are using a boar. Dry yourself but don't dry your face. Strop, if you are using a straight. Let that hot water stand on the VDH for a few minutes. Flick the brush out good and pour the water out of your mug. NOW lather. It will simply explode and I'm hardly exaggerating. Lather, and keep adding water to brush and introducing it to your face until the lather is as slick as frog snot. It makes a tremendous difference.

Don't forget to stretch, keep the shave angle low, and pressure light. If you do all that it is nearly impossible to cut yourself. You will only get cut when you neglect those rules.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
BTW, lots of nice butterscotch Eversharp injectors on fleabay lately, going cheap. And they simply do not cut. I have two of them and the shave is so easy it is boring. Truthfully it feels like there is no blade in it when I shave, but when I am done it is as close as a single pass straight shave. Don't dismiss injectors... There were several models and they are different. I used Schick blades. Bought two, tried both, nice.

Dial adjustable is my favorite Schick. The magazine injector razors are also cool but I never want to free up another ceased magazine as long as I live

Before I get into the shower I draw hot water to the bathroom and run my hand under the faucet and dribble some warm water on top the puck so it hydrates while I shower, I run my silvertip under the water at the same time. Awesome easy lather when I get out.

Since I found a few vintage Gillette's I just don't have the notion to acquire another Injector. The one I have was my Dad's and I will use it off and on whenever I have the urge and think of him. It is a J1 and compared to any of the Gillette's that thing is a man eater or should I say face eater. I haven't had my Slim to 9 yet so not sure if that would compare or not but setting 7 today was quite aggressive but no where near the J1. Maybe if I am at a flea market or antique store, which are both rare, and see one I would likely buy it.

Since you have irritation on your neck, might I suggest checking out Paulhfilms on YouTube? He has a video where he discusses how he avoids irritation around his neck and above his lip. I actually do the exact same and I get absolutely no irritation anymore. Once you figure it out, you'll be golden.

Top Bottom