What's new

Neck irritation, what would you do?

So I've long since mapped the grain etc, put as little pressure and as shallow an angle as possible while still being able to cut. My face and even upper lip are fine. My neck still gets alot of irritation. I've found little to no pulling or resistance going xtg/atg on the sides and wtg/atg on the middle. I also get minimal nicks doing this now. But the irritation and bumps show up no matter how comfortable my shave seemed.

I can either change it and go wtg/xtg/atg, adding an entire pass and possibly increasing irritation due to this. I can also try to go wtg/xtg and call it a day, but even this tiny stubble is easily visible. I should add that going xtg on the middle is extremely difficult and wrecks my angles due to the contours of my face and my Adams apple.

I'm also convinced that my Nivea for men aftershave balm is aggravating my irritation, as the irritation is minor right after the shave but is very pronounced after about 10 minutes from applying this. It also does nothing to ease the burn, so a good unscented aftershave would be nice and I'm open to suggestion for one that reduces irritation effectively.

Third is my boar brush. It feels fine until a third lather (I go 3 passes on my upper lip, and a little on my neck if I have to hit a couple spots). On this third lather it feels notably scratchy and I'm wondering if this in itself is adding to the irritation/bumps. Would a badger help here? I already have trouble getting a strong lather with my proraso red with a stiff boar.

Thanks!

Couple of things that have helped me a lot ...

1. Witch Hazel. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS after your shave and before an aftershave ... I like Thayer's Supermedicated. I shave every other day and even use it the day after a shave.
2. I'm with you on the Nivea thing ... I whole heartedly believe a splash with some alcohol in it is important for antiseptic reasons. I used to use balms exclusively but have switched to splashes. I've had very good luck with B&M, Stirling and even Clubman splashes. If you want unscented, Thayer's makes a witch hazel aftershave.
3. Stop chasing anything more than a CCS ... settle into a two-pass routine (with touch ups if necessary) and call it good.
4. Change your blades frequently. I'm a three shaves and you're out guy. Life is too short (and blades are too cheap) to shave with anything more than that.

I use mostly boar brushes, and have no issues with them being the cause of irritation.

Good luck!

Are you pulling the neck-skin tight? I tug from the bottom of my neck towards the chest.

Your technique sounds pretty good, so next, I would look at the physics of your blade/stropping regimen. I have a sensitive neck, and I only do one "good" pass. I switched to a paste regimen to hone and maintain my razor, and since, have better push cutting and no irritation. What is your blade maintenance routine?

To add, I usually always do three hot face cloths, and I am currently using Eshave soap (I usually just use what I get on sale) with a dab of Aveda shave cream combo, cold cloth after shaving, with Muhle aftershave.

Thanks for the replies.

Witch hazel/alcohol doesn't cause redness? I figured the burn would irritate more. Also I have been using a new blade every shave (astra sp) as I noticed that even on the 2nd shave it starts tugging and getting rough.

Also not getting a smooth shave is a bummer. One reason I switched was to get the closest shave possible. I typically shave every other day so I'll always end up looking like I have a 5 o clock shadow.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Look at making your lather wetter for better slickness. I believe that too dry lather is one of the main causes of shave related irritation.

Take it from someone with VERY sensitive skin who has spent $$ trying different soaps, moisturisers etc to get rid of my neck irritation and the answer is simple and FREE!!

The trick is to shave before a shower (forget all about soaking your face with a hot towel) just splash some cold tap water on you face, lather up and go for it using cold water only. I know it sounds silly but it worked. Who would have thought it. Cold water.
I'm now getting BBS (including my neck) everyday with no redness or blotchiness irrelevant of the soap, brush, blade I use.

You can tell straight away that it's making a difference.

Try it tomorrow, and let me know if the same 'magic' happens to you.

This is interesting and would be a nice answer. I'm going to try it Thursday when I shave again and report back!

I've found the biggest causes of irritation on my neck are (1) insufficient and/or poor quality lather; (2) too much pressure; (3) chasing a BBS.

So: (1) make sure lather is fresh and wet (shaving neck first helps IME...and never shave an area without lather!); (2) "float" the razor on the skin...barely touch; (3) don't repeatedly shave ("buffing"?) the same area...DFS is probably good enough.

On another item, I used Nivea Sensitive ASB when I first (re)started wet-shaving, and found it very soothing. But...after a while, I seemed to develop a sensitivity to it...it caused irritation. I haven't used it for over a year now...I guess I'm just a "splash" kind of guy.

My $0.02...

Take it from someone with VERY sensitive skin who has spent $$ trying different soaps, moisturisers etc to get rid of my neck irritation and the answer is simple and FREE!!

The trick is to shave before a shower (forget all about soaking your face with a hot towel) just splash some cold tap water on you face, lather up and go for it using cold water only. I know it sounds silly but it worked. Who would have thought it. Cold water.
I'm now getting BBS (including my neck) everyday with no redness or blotchiness irrelevant of the soap, brush, blade I use.

You can tell straight away that it's making a difference.

Try it tomorrow, and let me know if the same 'magic' happens to you.
This... Is interesting
definitely going to try this next shave. Could be the key to my skin allowing for more than 2 shaves a week

I've found the biggest causes of irritation on my neck are (1) insufficient and/or poor quality lather; (2) too much pressure; (3) chasing a BBS.

So: (1) make sure lather is fresh and wet (shaving neck first helps IME...and never shave an area without lather!); (2) "float" the razor on the skin...barely touch; (3) don't repeatedly shave ("buffing"?) the same area...DFS is probably good enough.

On another item, I used Nivea Sensitive ASB when I first (re)started wet-shaving, and found it very soothing. But...after a while, I seemed to develop a sensitivity to it...it caused irritation. I haven't used it for over a year now...I guess I'm just a "splash" kind of guy.

My $0.02...

I tend to spend a large amount of time getting the lather right, going between soap and adding water, thickening etc. I even tend to reapply and relather (partially in the soap tub) for each pass ss not enough remains after the first lather. I will try hitting the neck first though. Usually I test the lather when I reach the neck and if it's dry, I add water to the brush and do a few paint strokes to moisten it up. If my lather is still bad then I have no idea how to get a good lather with my proraso. I spend probably 10 minutes loading, lathering, watering, reloading, painting, re watering until it isn't thin but isn't very thick, and is pretty wet. It leaves brush ridges like alot of the lather pics show.

4. Change your blades frequently. I'm a three shaves and you're out guy. Life is too short (and blades are too cheap) to shave with anything more than that.

+1 This is important in my opinion. In addition to the numerous other steps that you have to adjust to your own needs along the way.

For me I believe the irritation is sanitary and aggravation related. I find that good prep really helps. I soak my brush as soon as I get in the bathroom and brush my teeth. Then dump out the water and refill the bowl to keep the water soaking the brush hot. Then I take a shower and make sure to use hot as tolerable water for my face. I wash my face and neck with a mild face soap to wash away any bacteria and then I exfoliate with a face scrub before starting my shave.
The soft boar brush helps with the itchy irritation and soap helps clean any bacteria away. I don't try hard for a BBS shave just do a good two pass shave. Followed by a quick cold rinse in the shower leaves my face feeling very good. I also found that shaving everyday to keep the hair from getting to the itchy stubbly stage greatly helps reduce my irritation. Previously I shaved every third day or so to try to give my skin a break and reduce razor bumps but with shaving everyday my face and neck is much clearer

Last edited:
Witch hazel/alcohol doesn't cause redness? I figured the burn would irritate more.

I used to think it would ... but surprisingly it doesn't. Alcohol provides the antiseptic part, to stave off infection, witch hazel does too, but also provides an astringent that reduces irritation. The Supermedicated provides a nice cooling sensation. I love it.

I can use Nivea now and then, but not all the time for some reason. If you don't like the burn, try Lucky Tiger AS or one of the Thayers non alcohol mixes.

Also, ixnay on the BBS/DFS around the neck. Define what's "socially acceptable" stubble and don't go further. I only go wtg on my lower neck (straight razor). My neck finally calmed down, and I'm a happy camper.

I've got a very sensitive spot on my neck also. I've also found that trying for a BBS shave is not worth the irritation. I had better luck using a mild razor and sharp blade along with a wetter lather. On a whim about 5 months ago, I tried a Schik Injector. Much to my surprise, I got much less irritation. Perhaps because the blade is more rigid. I know DE's are more common on this site, but you may want to try an injector.
Also I concur with the suggestion to use witch hazel after shaving before after shave. May I suggest that first using an alum block to tighten your skin, it's also antiseptic, then the witch hazel, then , if you so desire, you aftershave. I've found though that witch hazel is a pretty good aftershave by itself.

So I've long since mapped the grain
Reassess your mapping.

Use less passes. Stop aiming for BBS. Don't bother with ATG at this point.

Consider sticking to one direction with your strokes versus fixating on WTG, XTG and ATG. I only use downward strokes except for a swirl on my neck where I use an upward stroke. Not saying that's your best solution in your case but, again, sometime you have to reconsider what you've been trying in the past.

Third is my boar brush. It feels fine until a third lather (I go 3 passes on my upper lip, and a little on my neck if I have to hit a couple spots). On this third lather it feels notably scratchy and I'm wondering if this in itself is adding to the irritation/bumps. Would a badger help here? I already have trouble getting a strong lather with my proraso red with a stiff boar.

Seems more like addressing the symptom rather than the problem. The odds are that something in your technique is the major cause and that's really what you should focus on.

COLD WATER Use it, love it!
Seriously, if you want to end irritation go COLD water. You can prep with warm or hot water, that's fine. You should wash your face and neck before you shave (shower is easiest place to do this) to get your beard clean and hydrated, preparation is a huge part of getting a good outcome. Once you have done all your prep (how ever you are going to do it) rinse with COLD water and rinse with COLD water between passes.
I could tell you that cold water tightens your skin or makes hair stand up or contracts blood vessels or reduces inflammation or or or OR I could just say it works.

COLD water + SLICK lather will help a lot to keep irritation from ever happening.

Witch Hazel isn't going to hurt you...EVER. If you are prone to irritation or have irritation you can/should use it daily and even consider using it at night as part of your night time face wash routine.

Yes your brush could be further irritating your skin. It could be causing irritation on its own. Try just "painting" the lather on for your 2nd and third pass. A lower grade Badger brush might be just as scratchy to an already irritated face. You can try to soften your brush some by speeding the break in period. Lather it up with soap and let it sit lathered up over night, rinse it out well then lightly rub just the tips across a tight stretched towel (as if you were dusting the towel with your brush) then let the brush dry. You can do the towel thing a few days in a row and it might speed things up. One thing that helps boar brushes get softer is use, the repeated soaking and drying causes little split ends which feel much softer on your skin.

Light pressure, fresh blades, shallow angle, stretching your skin a bit these all help too. But trust me on the COLD water man.

Cold water actually works wonders. If you can't handle it for your shave, at least do a final rinse with water as cold as you can get it, and splash it on there multiple times until it feels like you've been swimming in a mountain lake. Often if you have very slight weepers, the cold water alone will stop them. Dry your face, then Thayers or Lucky Tiger. For now, I'd stop there. If that works then you could go for an alcohol-based aftershave after your face is dry. Then a small amount of non-irritating moisturizer.

Thayers Alcohol Free Unscented Witch Hazel With Aloe Vera is the most cooling after shave splash I have used to take any sting and irritation out of my freshly shaved skin. Once it has done its cooling and healing job, my final application of the after shave process is the Nivea Sensitive ASB.......which is also witch hazel infused. No pain.....no strain.....shave every day. That's what works for me.......may not for you. For what it's worth.

Neck irritation, what would you do?

I would take a break and give my neck time to heal. Maybe three days?
Meanwhile, I would lather in palm with the boar brush every day, any soap. And let it dry. Don't use a boar brush that hasn't been broken in.
I would keep things simple. Warm water will soften (to saturation/complete hydration) your stubble in about two minutes, three tops.
Read Observations on the Cutting of Beard Hair
Lather quality is of utmost importance. In my opinion many fails, claimed the blade to be the culprit, are actually due to poor lather. It was said before, never go over dry/unlubricated skin with a blade.
I would (and I do) stay with two passes. And long strokes, rather than "dog scratch" style. I would get a steady, comfortable DFS before anything.
I would (and I do) use an exfoliant. Even a gentle massage with a soapy towel will work.
Witch hazel works. It simply does, even between shaves.
Use an aftershave balm and stay away from Nivea. Straight witch hazel is way better than some aftershaves.
Read Insights into shaving and its impact on skin

Good luck!

I need to try something else too. DE shaving has left me with less neck irritation but I can't eliminate it. Maybe I'll do a complete 180 and try this cold water, before showering thing.

The only thing that works for me is to let it get long enough (about 3 days) to shave with minimum or no irritation, but that's too long for me to wait. 24-36-48 hours between still result in irritation. I've been doing 48 hours for the last few weeks but would prefer 24 hours. I also only use blades no more than 3 times.

Ugh.

Top Bottom