What's new

Help me ID/Date this Old Type Single Ring?

I picked up a three piece Gillette. It looks just like "A" in the below picture. But there is no Serial Number anywhere on it. What are the dates or date change between "A" and "B" and were some make without the SN. If so would it be start of production, end of production?

wiki_asset.php

Thanks,
Spanish Flea

If it looks like the one on the left it should have a serial number.

Older Single Rings have the serial # stamped on the inner barrel, then at some point they started stamping on the baseplate.

If it doesn't have a serial # it was made in the '20s.

Does it have the patent info on the handle like the example on the left? If it doesn't, '20s Single Ring for sure.

No numbers on the inner barrel.
No numbers on the outter barrel.
No numbers on the baseplate.

Thanks for the reply,

Spanish Flea

Yes, it is stamped with the Gillette logo on the rake piece of the head.

I'll get pix tonight and post in the morning.

Pulled this from the Wiki. these are the marks on mine.
wiki_asset.php

Spanish Flea

The first 25K razors produced had no serial numbers, but "Pat" appl for notation and they were the Double Ring style. The first serial numbers were on the opening knob barrel and then moved to the razor head. My 1908 has SN on the barrel my 1918 on the head (not sure change date). Serial numbers were discontinued in August 1921 but I think the razor should still have some type of "Pat" number reference. Also the "Pat" number on the lower handle changed then to Jan 13, 1920 from November 5, 1904. Also the caps after 21 are the 102A model which are thicker - as shown in the above pic #B.

Did they make any after they stopped using serial numbers, but before they used the thick cap?

Or, his could be a '20's with an earlier top cap put there by a previous owner.

I'm thumbing thru Krumholz info here. Let me restate in order. 1) After August 2, 1921 no serial numbers. 2) The patient date on the handle was changed to Jan 13, 1920. 3) All caps and guards are now thicker 102-A. Also, there is a note referencing Gillette using some left over parts from earlier 102 production. So I guess it's possible that the razor could have a 102 cap on a post Aug 2nd production. Despite all that it would seem to me that razor still should have the 1904 or 1920 patient date reference on the handle. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So I guess it's possible that the razor could have a 102 cap on a post Aug 2nd production. Despite all that it would seem to me that razor still should have the 1904 or 1920 patient date reference on the handle.

Yes, I guess it's possible.

But I wouldn't expect any patent info on the handle. They couldn't use the 1904 patent since it had expired, and the JAN 13 1920 was for New Improved and NEW heads, and basically it has to do with two features introduced with the New Improved, the channeled guard and the fulcrum shoulder:

attachment.php

All those pictures and not even one side view of the razor, as the picture in the OP. [emoji38]

That's what really matters, we need to see the thickness of the cap.

Thank you, that's exactly what we needed.

102 (thin cap) for sure. Makes perfect sense that they used the razors they had in stock, nothing went to waste back then.

I guess we could date it to the first half of 1921 or so. Made before the design change but apparently when it left the factory the patent had already expired.

Thanks for sharing. [emoji106]

R

romsitsa

Hello,

sorry for hijacking, didn't want to open a new thread for this. I found a halfbreed today, Pat. Nov. on handle, but no serial on base plate or inner tube. No logo, miusa on baseplate, cap was thin. It was chromed, but not a factory finish as the pattern of the handle was badly worn. I guess someone replated the razor to pump up the value a bit.
Was this a mismatch of a pre 1921 razor with a post 1921 inner tube, or was there a moment in Gillettes history when a such a combination could exist? If not a missmatch, I could give it a try, get it and remove the chrome.

Thanks

Adam

Sorry. This is another hijack but can someone help me with this one? I got it really cheap and when it came yesterday, it was totally black. I had some time to start working on it today. Here is where it is so far:

$IMG_0478.jpg$IMG_0480.jpg$IMG_0481.jpg$IMG_0482.jpg

It has no serial number anywhere that I can find. The ball-end handle looks like the one in the picture earlier in this thread labeled ca. 1915-1921. Any ideas? Thanks.

Top Bottom