What's new

Happy Mardi Gras!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Two minutes ago, at the stroke of midnight, the final day of the Carnival season began: Mardi Gras. Came early this year. For all you Yankees and Furriners, Mardi Gras is the day before Ash Wednesday on the Catholic calendar. As Wednesday begins the 40 days of Lent. Mardi Gras, literally Fat Tuesday, is the last day to indulge in the pleasures of the flesh. It actually refers to using up all fat in the kitchen before the lean Lenten diet begins. Anyway, since Easter comes on a different day every year, Ash Wednesday does, too, and therefore so does Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras is just the final day of Carnival debaucherie, and the beginning is January 6th every year, the Feast of the Epiphany, the 12th day after Christmas. The opening celebration of Carnival in New Orleans is the Phorty Phunny Phellows krewe's streetcar party. There are activities mostly on the weekends, with most parades in the final two weeks. Parades are organized by Carnival Krewes, civic organizations composed of well, all sorts of folks who like to have a good time and see others having a good time, too. Most krewes also have a ball several days or weeks before their parade rolls. The afternoon of the final Friday before Mardi Gras is when the madness truly begins. Basically, the city shuts down until Wednesday morning. Driving anywhere near or across a parade route becomes impossible. Even walking through the packed crowds is difficult. Apart from the parades, Bourbon Street becomes a solid mass of bodies, and to get anywhere at all means struggling out of the melee and up a cross street to Dauphine or Royal, where it is still packed but navigable. It is two different celebrations. Parades are a family oriented thing. Upper Bourbon Street is pure debauche, and not a place for your old folks or young'uns.

Out in the parishes, things are more spread out. Good viewing spots and catching spots are easier to get. Catching... what? Every parade has its "throws"... monogrammed cups, beads and trinkets, "doubloons", decorated shoes or purses or coconuts or whatever, and the idea is to get close to the floats, stretch out your arms, and holler "Throw me something, Mister!" and if you are truly blessed, carnival treasures will fly your way. Jefferson Parish, both East and West banks, has a lot of parades and good viewing and catching opportunities.

In the deep Cajun country, Carnival is a bit different. Traditionally, masked riders went from farm to farm, demanding chickens, which of course someone had to catch. The riders typically were well fortified with strong drink, making the procurement of poultry a very challenging endeavor. The chickens would go into a communal gumbo. This custom is still practiced here and there. Generally there will be a Capitaine who is in charge of the riders. They may all be on horseback, or sometimes only the Capitaine, or the riders might be on tractor drawn trailers or other conveyance. They may be required to dance for the property owner before he will release a chicken. The Capitaine often has a burlap whip with which he enforces the agreed upon and traditional rules of the Courir de Mardi Gras, literally "run". It varies from community to community but is always a lot of fun to do or to see. The trick is to not drink so much that you can't remember anything or drop your cel phone with all the pics and vids in the mud. Ends up being a big community party with plenty of food and drink. and if you are a stranger at the start of it, you wont be at the end of it. Then Wednesday morning, drag yourself out of wherever you passed out, go to church and get your ashes,

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Lot of people don't know it started in Mobile ... :thumbup: and it's celebrated as far east as Destin, Fla.

Yup. Had my fill of King Cake ...

AA

Great write up. I had my fill of parades this year and actually stayed completely local for the first time.. Love the New Orleans parades and the Super-Krewes, but I don't miss the traffic (or lack thereof). Laissez les bon temps roulez!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Lot of people don't know it started in Mobile ... :thumbup: and it's celebrated as far east as Destin, Fla.

Yup. Had my fill of King Cake ...

AA

No, it started in Europe, many centuries ago, but built upon pre-Christian pagan celebrations. And I believe the first observation of Mardi Gras in any form in the New World was in what is now Louisiana, before either Mobile or New Orleans even existed. I think it was by Iberville & Bienville, but it may have been some other French explorer dude.

Yes, the first Mardi Gras parade in North America of note was in Mobile. I'm okay with that. But nobody in North America does Carnival or in fact any other holiday with the sheer size and scope of Carnival here. Oh, its not a one day affair here, either. Starts in January and can run well into March.

Maybe it would be nice to just get it over and done with.

But naaaaah.....

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Ash Wednesday begins the 40 days of Lent.

Nick's wife is going to, ahem, "avoid" him for the 40 day period. She said she gave it up for length.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Hopefully you-all remembered to shave with MWF for Fat Tuesday ... :001_smile

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

AA

Yes, the first Mardi Gras parade in North America of note was in Mobile. I'm okay with that. But nobody in North America does Carnival or in fact any other holiday with the sheer size and scope of Carnival here. Oh, its not a one day affair here, either. Starts in January and can run well into March.
It's not a one day affair in Mobile, either. No doubt there are more parades in New Orleans, but it isn't like we do two or three parades and call it done.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
proxy.php

proxy.php
"Laissez les bons temps rouler...Yeah Baby"!!

Last edited:
Hmm. This means Valentine's Day is the start of Lent. Wonder if that will crimp any plans, or if those who observe it will just celebrate a day early.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We forgot to push MWF "Fat" Tuesday! :a54: However. Let the Good Times Roll!

I didn't forget to get a box of Moon Pies, though. Why go to the parade and get hit in the head with one, when you can just buy a whole box? :taz:

AA

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As a former reserve deputy who had to work all of the parades, I now prefer to stay away from the maddening crowd these days. But back in the day, I'd follow the Zulu parade from uptown to the Quarter and eventually crawl home late that night before they started sweeping the streets.

Top Bottom