What's new

Girlfriend loves a good cup

So last year for v-day I bought four half types of killer beans coffee from jerry. He is a great dude, but this year I'd like to try something a little different. I have heard stuff about kona peaberry but I'm not really sure what to buy. Looks like kona makes quiet a few types. Can anyone recommend something for a rare treat. Thanks guys, I look forward to reading what you post. If it's really HTF would you mind posting a link. Thanks again.

Haven't noticed peaberry is special. It just means that only one of the two seeds grew. It ends up rounder instead of flat on one side.
Don't have any Kona specific recommendations, but another really good growing area is Jamaica's Blue Mountain.

So last year for v-day I bought four half types of killer beans coffee from jerry. He is a great dude, but this year I'd like to try something a little different. I have heard stuff about kona peaberry but I'm not really sure what to buy. Looks like kona makes quiet a few types. Can anyone recommend something for a rare treat. Thanks guys, I look forward to reading what you post. If it's really HTF would you mind posting a link. Thanks again.

There are a lot of farms in the district of Kona and according to SM's, not all are equal, so you are right to be concerned. I actually thought that most Kona would be equal, so glad to get that corrected:

Hawaii... what a nice place. They grow nuts, fruit, and coffee. The coffee is expensive. It is mild (sometimes too mild). It can be terrible and flat, or it can be wonderful! The best coffees cost a lot and the worst cost way too much. So the goal with Hawaiians is to quit thinking that all Hawaiian coffee is good, and to realize that only a handful of coffees deserve the high price in terms of cup quality (you can easily argue that all deserve a high price in terms of the care and labor expended in producing them)
https://www.sweetmarias.com/category/green-coffee/islands/hawaii#

I believe Steve is right - peaberry isn't anything special, it's just sorted. But I've seen one site that claims it is special and sells it for near $50 per lb. Also, beware of Kona blends

Because of the rarity and price of Kona coffee, some retailers sell "Kona Blends". These are not a combination of different Kona coffees, but a blend of Kona and Colombian, Brazilian, or other foreign coffees. Usually they contain only the minimum required 10% Kona coffee and 90% cheaper imported beans.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kona_coffee

Sorry I can't help with a recommendation, I don't buy Kona beans.

-jim

I can take other recommendations. I didn't mean for only kona coffee. If anyone has a coffee they wanna recommend just do so and let me know if it's mild or strong. I would prefer whole beans that are already roasted a good medium would be nice.

Dry processed Ethiopian will light anyone up if roasted well.

Be careful.... You may never drink any other SO if you find someone who "has the touch"

Just tried beans from Maui instead of Kona and it was quite good. There are some really good beans coming out of Costa Rica, too.

Sweet Marias are great people with huge experience. if you and The Lady would enjoy reading up on their knowledge base, I Highly recommend spending some time on their website. They also take orders well and ship quickly. You won't be disappointed establishing a relationship with this coffee jobber.

We really have not had enough different types to know what we like and don't. Her favorite so far has been the peaberry from killer beans.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions so far. I will be looking into these and make a decision. Once I finally get something, it may take a bit I will let you all know how it turns out.

Top Bottom