What's new

Vintage vs. New

Greetings everyone. I recently purchased a Gillette slim from eBay and have been pretty impressed with the attention to detail and build quality. As well as the performance. The only other razor I own is an EJ 89, which is nice, but which is harder for me to get a really close shave with. I'm curious, what are your guys' thoughts about vintage vs. new build razors?

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
i'm a vintage or classic's guy. I like classic razors, classic soaps, classic aftershaves. to each his own and ymmv and all that, but for me, it comes down to, why should I buy a $100 modern razor, when vintage provides me the same shave but at a lower cost and with a razor that has some history and nostalgic value?

EDIT: Welcome to B&B! :)

I'm with OkieStubble on this one as well. I have razors that date back to the 1930's that give some amazing, and comfortable, shaves and have been doing so for the last 80+ years... why mess with a good thing?

When I shave with my 1932 gold fat handle Tech I imagine someone shaving while they listen to FDR or Babe Ruth's World Series called shot on the radio. Vintage razors are fun. At the same time who doesn't like something shiny and new? Its all good.

i'm a vintage or classic's guy. I like classic razors, classic soaps, classic aftershaves. to each his own and ymmv and all that, but for me, it comes down to, why should I buy a $100 modern razor, when vintage provides me the same shave but at a lower cost and with a razor that has some history and nostalgic value?

EDIT: Welcome to B&B! :)

+1 For me, I have tried a couple of modern razors, and they cannot compare to the great shaves I get using my vintage razors.

I generally prefer OLD type Gillette razors, but I also got fantastic results from my EJ DE89. Perhaps you should try a few different blades or work on technique before getting another razor. What blade are you using now?

+3! I have 3 new razors, a Merkur 33C, a RazorRock Jaws, and a Phoenix Dual Comb. They all shave great, but I have over 100 vintage razors, both DE's and SE's, some over 100 years old. I use my vintage razors 95% of the time. They shave as well or better than any of my new ones. I enjoy the hunt for the vintage ones and the knowledge that they work as good today as they did when they were new. Variety is the spice of life.

Both categories are fine and both categories are desirable. It comes down to personal preference. I have both categories and I enjoy both. The deciding factor is how efficient and how comfortable a given razor is on YOUR face.

I have limited experience with modern razors but I do know that of the ones I have used they do not compare to the smoothness and closeness of the shave I get from vintage razors. But I suspect it is a highly individual choice.

I am a cheapskate at heart and so has never pulled the trigger on one of those $100+ modern razors. I have a couple of cheap modern razors that are solid performers but as you said, the build quality nowhere comes close to my vintages. My favorite happens to be a Slim (good choice BTW) because it is adjustable to suit my needs, but I also enjoy my Tech with a New LC bottom plate. The only exception to the vintage vs modern for me are the slants because the vintage ones are EXTREMELY hard to come by and they will probably cost as much as a modern, but other than that, I prefer a vintage (which includes Schick injectors).

i have only used clasic razors i love the tech razors. now i see fine is comming out with a new slant razor i think i will buy that and it will be my first new razor i can not see paying 100 plus on a razor honestly.

Like many have already stated, I think both can be great depending on what you need and want. Personally, I'm more of a new razor guy. But this has more to do with not being too keen on buying used personal items.

Yeah, I'm not OCD but old razors seem icky. I know you can clean them, but--. As far as $100+ razors, I don't need to show off my money belt. Must avoid the temptation of 100 dollar shaving brushes.

I think modern razors have a place - there will always be people who cannot get past the "Yuck, this was used by some dead guy" aspect of vintage/antique razors. Shiny new razors are a good way of introducing new people to DE shaving which is a good thing.
It's just a shame that the heads of so many of the modern offerings are made using poor materials that do not hold up to everyday use as well as an older brass vintage razor.

I started DE shaving with a modern razor... And then I discovered vintage razors and I have not looked back since. My daily razor is a Gillette Heavy Tech...a fine piece of engineering.

Like many have already stated, I think both can be great depending on what you need and want. Personally, I'm more of a new razor guy. But this has more to do with not being too keen on buying used personal items.

Yeah, I'm not OCD but old razors seem icky. I know you can clean them, but--. As far as $100+ razors, I don't need to show off my money belt. Must avoid the temptation of 100 dollar shaving brushes.

You can send the vintage razors to be replated. They are stripped down before new plating is applied, so that you can consider them as good as a "new" razor.

YMMV is the bottom line on this. I have had both, but prefer new these days. Things may well change for me with time!

Top Bottom