What's new

Vintage vs. New

There are outstanding vintage designs as well as modern designs.
In vintage I like the Short Comb New and the Superspeeds. In modern its the Futur and Fatip.
But for some real time travel, the single edge razors are the way to go: the 1912 and 1914 models not to mention the lather catchers.

I joined B&B to get better shaves, save some money, and gain some nostalgic feeling from my shaves. I quickly learned that by hunting around at antique store I could buy a few vintage razors for the cost of one modern razor. My mind was set, that vintage was for me.

Vintage razor collecting quickly became a hobby, and I have found many vintage razors over the years, and almost made it my mission to never use a modern razor. Then someone PIF's me a Merkur 34C. I really like it, and have since tried a few more modern razors. But I still enjoy the shaves from most of my vintage razors better than all of my modern razors.

They just knew how to make razors back then!

I'm curious, what are your guys' thoughts about vintage vs. new build razors?
Like anything else, each has to find what works best for the individual. I appreciate the build quality of the vintage DE's I've tried but none of them were a best fit for me. There are certainly others that find that vintage DE's work very well for them. Broad, sweeping generalizations about vintage versus modern don't really provide much meaningful benefit. Find what works best for you and use it -- whatever it happens to be whether vintage, modern, adjustable, 2 piece, 3 piece, butterfly, plated brass, Zamak, stainless, etc.

Last edited:
Well now that you put that in my head... [emoji14]

Sorry :lol:

The way I see it is that I never really "own" any of my stuff, I'm just looking after it for the next person... none of us are here forever and we can't take it with us. I like the idea that my vintage razors were cherished and used by someone else, in the same way that hopefully I am.

The only modern razor own is an MTO. It is a decent mild razor. However it's still not as good as any of my vintage razors. I still have yet to try an EJ, or merkur. I can't really afford the higher end ra X ors like ATT, or Wolfman, but in all honesty I haven't been drawn to them. I like the vintage ones, I enjoy finding them in the wild and cleaning them up, and using them. Each person is different. Find out what you like and enjoy a great shave.

For me the new high end stainless steel razors tend to give me a better closer shave. I do have some vintage razors and I do like them and I do shave with them from time to time. I'd take vintage over EJ or Merkur any day. They were made in a time when things were meant to last, unlike the bulk of today's inexpensive options. If you can afford the new high end razors then for me that's the way to go. If not, pick up some Barbicide to sanitize them with and find some vintage offerings. They are fun to look for at the local antique shops and to bid on at the popular auction site.

i'm a vintage or classic's guy. I like classic razors, classic soaps, classic aftershaves. to each his own and ymmv and all that, but for me, it comes down to, why should I buy a $100 modern razor, when vintage provides me the same shave but at a lower cost and with a razor that has some history and nostalgic value?

EDIT: Welcome to B&B! :)

I'm with OkieStubble on this one as well. I have razors that date back to the 1930's that give some amazing, and comfortable, shaves and have been doing so for the last 80+ years... why mess with a good thing?

I agree with these guys.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
They both work - do what makes you happy.

I'm never selling my Slim, but I no longer use it because for me it can't compare to my ATT and Wolfman for quality of shave.

You can send the vintage razors to be replated. They are stripped down before new plating is applied, so that you can consider them as good as a "new" razor.

+1 on that, brother.

When I first started wet shaving, the idea of using some dead guy's rusty, gunky, bloodstained, bacteria riddled razor was repulsive to me. Then I discovered revamping/replating/refurbishing/recoating. Wow. I've got 16 razors, 5 of which are new and the remaining are vintage, the oldest dating back to 1906. But they each look and perform just like a brand new razor. Amazing.

Last edited:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I own and enjoy both new and vintage razors. I shave with a vintage razor much more often than with a new one.

As far as the gross-out factor goes, it's metal. You can clean metal very easily. Do you bring your own flatware to a restaurant?

I think I have about 15 vintage razors and two modern (Fatip) razors. I'm sure the better modern razors are of equal or better quality than the vintage razors but I just prefer the classic style and retro thing.

For me the performance and build quality are much more important than the manufacturing date. I have had excellent razors made in modern times and some from the 19th century. I can't stand razors that require special attention to deliver good results. I don't like overly aggressive or mild. I can definitely appreciate it when a manufacturer pays close attention to form as well as function. You would think that with as picky as I sound that there would only be a few razors in my collection. Quite the contrary, there are so many razors that have been manufactured that no matter what your tastes are several will meet your criteria. Now whether or not one can afford them is another topic.

I'm all about the vintage stuff. Not only my razors, but I have 2 vintage brushes with original knots, and usually finish vintage Avon. Also the cast iron I cook in and several of my hand tools for work are vintage. I just feel most things were made better pre 1970 or so, and most of the time I can buy them cheaper than new inferior products.

The more popular this hobby becomes, the more expensive the vintage razors are going to become, which is a shame, but inevitable. Look at what's happened to classic cars.

That said, you can still find some great old razors at great prices if you're willing to hunt around. However there are a lot of new razors which I find interesting. Old slants are hard to find, and expensive, but Merkur sells a couple quite inexpensively. Same thing for Bakelite razors. Stainless steel has become a new material for razors that you won't find in vintage ones. Fatip sells some new all-brass razors, and Parker is doing some interesting things too. In short, the vintage razors are fantastic, but there are still loads of great new offerings to to keep the traditional way of shaving going even if the supply of vintage razors gets out of reach of the average shaver.

I can't choose, love my SE's from the 30's, my fatboy, super adjustable, Merkur's, and my fave, ATT H2 Atlas open comb!

My first razor was a black handled flare that was new in the package when it was given to me in 1974. That seems "modern" to me. Its hard for me to think of any razor that I purchased new as on the same scale as a Tech from the 30s or a New or an Old from way back. I think of the post 1970 flares and black beauty adjustables as "used" razors. Its my way of denying how terribly old I am getting.

Thank you guys for the thoughts. I can see myself traveling deeper into DE razors, and I was curious to hear what path others have found most enjoyable and interesting. Vintage vs New seems like a fairly basic way in which paths tend to diverge, so I asked about that.

To answer TobyC's questions----no doubt my technique still needs work. I haven't been at this long enough yet. I can get a decent shave at this point with the EJ89; it is just more work than with the Slim. My blades, skills, and whatever else being the same, and the razor being the only thing that is really different. I've tried a variety of blades thus far. Personna, Astra, Gillette 7 o'clock, Feather, Iridium.

gregkw1, that is a handsome razor. Thanks for sharing!

I hadn't known what to expect from the Slim. I didn't acquire it because I was unhappy with the EJ89 really. I more just had a hunch that my face might respond well to a slightly more aggressive razor. I liked the idea that you can adjust it.

Don't limit yourself both have there good point and both have downsides too. It's a hobby, no? Or wait. . . an obsession for some? <blushes>

I love the Slim and the Fatboy and no modern razor even comes close. Add in the fact that so many today are Zamak or high priced steel toys that are like more aggressive versions of the Tech and I see no reason to use the moderns. YMMV of course.

But for me, there is no comparison. My list of favorite razors extends pretty far down before I get to modern favorites, so I've sold off almost all my moderns and just keep one or two for the collection and as keepsakes more than anything.

Top Bottom