What's new

soon to purchase .40 handgun.reliability question

Every major manufacturer makes a quality pistol these days. The ones to avoid are names like Lorcin, Raven, etc. There ARE budget manufacturers with a good rep like Bersa, but most of the ones you will find in a good gunstore will be acceptable.

What will get you into trouble is buying cheap magazines and ammo. Train with cheap stuff, but carry/use FACTORY mags and PREMIUM ammo for when it counts.

I'd get a pistol with an accessory rail and stick a light on it. Not saying that you MUST use a weapon light to search your house and potentially point a weapon at someone, but it is WAY easier to have a light on the pistol than to try to juggle a flashlight and a pistol. Indoors a good weapon light will light up an entire room even if you just point it at a wall or the floor. For HD a light is absolutely essential IMHO (probably more important than the pistol, as I wager 99% of intruders will evac if they hear/see the homeowner moving around) and if there is one already on the pistol then that is one less thing to worry about.

Disagree about hanging a light on the bottom of a handgun. You give away your position when you point your gun with a light on it.

Disagree about hanging a light on the bottom of a handgun. You give away your position when you point your gun with a light on it.

Potentially, but the alternative is holding a flashlight in your hand, and that's worse in my opinion as you don't have a firm hold on the weapon. With proper technique (turning the light on/off as needed) I think you can minimize giving away position (in the rare cases where that's going to matter anyway).

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Was always taught to use a flashlight the following way. But what do I know?

:lol::lol::lol:

This was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the posts about giving away your position...then I saw your post, Bro. That's one of the ways I was trained also...the old FBI technique.

There are several other techniques to use without hanging a bunch of junk on your gun.

For a bit more steadiness there is the crossed wrist Harries technique, which is what I usually used.

proxy.php

I carried a Glock 23 (40 cal) every day for work for 15 years. I also purchased my duty weapon from the department when they replaced the weapons (I was the only one who ever shot and cleaned it, it was like my own gun anyway). I also carry a 27 on my ankle every day, and would not leave the house without it. While I am sure that all the manufactures the OP mentioned make a fine weapon, there is a reason almost all law enforcement agencies go with Glock. And while I am sure that any of the available weapons that is practiced with on a regular basis would suffice, I would always recommend a Glock.

Was always taught to use a flashlight the following way. But what do I know?

I have never had any training on nighttime shooting, or using a flashlight with a handgun. One positive thing I see about that stance in the picture is that the spill from the light woud give enough light on the handgun sights to aid in more accurate aiming.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have never had any training on nighttime shooting, or using a flashlight with a handgun. One positive thing I see about that stance in the picture is that the spill from the light woud give enough light on the handgun sights to aid in more accurate aiming.

Yeah, there's that. Then there's the unstable position of one handed shooting (but you need to practice one handed shooting...with both right and left hands).

You can find critiques of anything. When I first got night sights on the Glock there were comments from other officers of "Someone behind you can see those sights at night and then you are a target." etc. etc.

With using the flashlight in one hand you can instantly transition to whatever technique you feel appropriate to use at the time. With a weapon mounted light you are stuck with that one thing.

Let's see, what kind of junk can you hang off of your handgun: Flashlight, laser, red dot optic, GPS system (just kidding), etc., etc. Pretty soon the stuff you have hanging off of your firearm is going to weigh more than the gun itself. Not to mention bulky. For concealed carry now I usually carry a nekid 1911 or my vintage Colt Cobra.

But, back to the OP's post.

Any of the ones you mentioned would be perfectly fine. Just pick the one that feels best to you and that you shoot the best.

Edit: Oh, of the ones I have the ones I shoot best are my L frame or the 1911. But that's just me.

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
My Glock 34 (G3) is the most finicky of all my guns. Very disappointed with it. Many problems with all mind of ammo, off the shelf by several makers or my own reloads (several grain and powder combinations). Have not found anything that will work reliably with this gun. Manager of my LGS has the same problems with his.
On the other hands, the Walthers, H+K's, S+W or Kimbers have never given me any problem.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
My Glock 34 (G3) is the most finicky of all my guns. Very disappointed with it. Many problems with all mind of ammo, off the shelf by several makers or my own reloads (several grain and powder combinations). Have not found anything that will work reliably with this gun. Manager of my LGS has the same problems with his.
On the other hands, the Walthers, H+K's, S+W or Kimbers have never given me any problem.

Sorry to here about your bad experiences with the Glock Rudy. I have 4 Glocks, all in different calibers. Have literally shot, upteen thousands of rounds between them all, in all kinds of weather and environments, in all kinds of training. Not a single involuntary hiccup due to factory made ammo. I have never shot personally made reloads though.

With the OT thing: I hang a light off the house pistol. It illuminates a whole room without having to point it directly at a (potential) family member, and you get to shoot two-handed. I like my odds better that way. I can see what I need to see at low ready.

As for "giving away your position," well yes. On the other hand, if you cannot see your target you have no business shooting.

There is a night shooting technique I used to teach back in the day which utilizes a two hand grip. It requires a small-ish flashlight (though back then we used 5 cell Kel-Lights and did fine).

It was called the "Surefire or Chapman Technique" if I remember correctly. Wasn't really the hot set-up with larger lights, but with the tiny-yet-super bright lights being used these days, I think it's a very valid way to shoot in limited/non-existent light conditions.

Last edited:
Multi glock owner here to include 2 gen 3 G34s.Re the hinky G34. Send it back to Glock. If it it not digesting mainstream factory ammo like 115 g Winchester White Box and certainly 147 American Eagle along with 124 Speer Lawman, the problem is the gun not the ammo. You might put in a new recoil spring and a fresh, latest gen 17 round 9mm mag and give it one last try with the factory ammo mentioned above.

Now reloaded ammo unreliability is an entirely diffrent kettle of fish...

Top Bottom