What's new

Cool find in cheap department store (old spice)

I put up those pictures in the "real old spice" sticky but I thought I'd share in a thread here as well.

I'm really up north Quebec province. Far from any big center and all. We have one of those "Rossy" department stores. It only survives because there's no Wal-Mart in town, otherwise it'd get bankrupt quickly IMO. I was looking at their "shaving" section and the Old Spice selection caught my eye. They had a bunch of old boxes, unlike the "modern" ones I see at the PJC pharmacy in town. Took a closer look, turns out the old packages contain some plastic bottles back from when OS was made in the US. Some others had glass bottles with gray stoppers. These glass bottles say "distributed by" P&G U.S. while the plastic ones say "Manufactured by" P&G U.S. Anyways, I grabbed the glass bottles, thinking they were a cool find considering where I live. Had to grab a couple of the US-made plastic bottles just for the heck of it, seeing how it hasn't been made in the US for a while...

Here are a couple of pics of the glass bottles and their packaging... cheers!

proxy.php

proxy.php

Old Spice is my absolute favorite. I grab it whenever I can. I too wish it was in the glass bottles still.

I'm perfectly happy with the regular modern stuff but I'll admit that the glass bottles are really cool.

I'm getting in my birch bark canoe and heading for the Hudson's Bay Co store at Fort Chippewyan to look for Old Spice as soon as the ice is out.

Not often you come across those kind of scores. Clean out the stock and hoard it! That's the beauty of smaller northern Canadian areas Eh, so many tiny little places that are seldom or sparingly visited and one can find things on store shelves that can be years old. I have no idea where I bumped into it now, but I walked into a very small department store once, and it felt like 1984. The colors, the uniforms, the flooring, nothing had changed over time. Love those experiences.

I once had to make a trip to the Hawker-Siddeley Railway Car plant in Thunder Bay late in January back around 1979 or thereabouts. I grew up in New England and lived in New Hampshire for years so I know cold weather but I've never been so cold in my life as I was that week. I couldn't get warm no matter what I did.

Not often you come across those kind of scores. Clean out the stock and hoard it! That's the beauty of smaller northern Canadian areas Eh, so many tiny little places that are seldom or sparingly visited and one can find things on store shelves that can be years old. I have no idea where I bumped into it now, but I walked into a very small department store once, and it felt like 1984. The colors, the uniforms, the flooring, nothing had changed over time. Love those experiences.

It was indeed a bit of a rush when I tapped the bottles to find out they were glass!
There were 5 bottles on the shelf, they're in my drawer now of course! They do have some more of the US-made plastic bottles but I'm not sure I want to start hoarding those.

Congrats on the find! I sure do love Old Spice, it's a toss-up which is my most-used between OS and Aqua Velva. It's just great stuff! I buy the Vi-Jon "Spice" at Family Dollar store for $2 / bottle and decant it into a 1970's glass bottle.

proxy.php

Cool, I can't find any of those cheap OS-esque formulations around here so it's PG old spice. Fine by me though, and with 5 of those glass bottles in stock plus two US-plastic bottles, I'm good for a while, considering it's not my only AS.

Cool, I can't find any of those cheap OS-esque formulations around here so it's PG old spice. Fine by me though, and with 5 of those glass bottles in stock plus two US-plastic bottles, I'm good for a while, considering it's not my only AS.

Yes that should last you a LONG time :lol:

Congrats on the find! I sure do love Old Spice, it's a toss-up which is my most-used between OS and Aqua Velva. It's just great stuff! I buy the Vi-Jon "Spice" at Family Dollar store for $2 / bottle and decant it into a 1970's glass bottle.

proxy.php

That's exactly what I do as well. I filled mine with the spice As from a CVS pharmacy outside San Francisco - got it a couple of years ago and it seems to be doing fine in the glass bottle.

Top Bottom