What's new

Merkur Futur Satisfaction

Hello,
To the Merkur Futur users out there, how has been your experience with them? Do you still use it regularly?
I have a 34c and sometimes I feel I need something more aggressive and hopefully get a little closer of a shave. I think an adjustable is nice so I can try different settings. The Futur seems interesting to me.

I have too many razors, so nothing gets truly regular use. That being said, I really like my Futur and reach for it much more often than my 34C. There are clear pros and cons to the Futur. It is huge (a pro and/or con depending on your tastes). It is more aggressive than most other razors on its lowest settings. It is made of a lower quality metal than brass or stainless.

I had one and sold it a while back. I found the head too bulky to shave under my nose. However, there are a lot of folks who like that razor.

The Futur is a great shave once you get used to it and tame it. You need to pay attention in the shave though.

I've had mine for over a year and wasn't too fond of it initially...but now it is one of my favourite shavers ever! Simply brilliant shaves (I use it on 3 or 4 setting). But when I'm doing the ATG pass on my moustache, it's nice to be able to dial it down to 1. Stick with it...it'll pay you off in spades!

To be fair let me start by saying I'm not a fan of any adjustable razor since they are to fiddly to use. However, the Futur is odd enough I just had to try one or two or three.

As one might expect I found it to be VERY aggressive no matter how I shaved with it. All the futur's I tried sliced me up like a side of ham so I sold, or returned, all that I had. To me the Futur is designed more for show and to be "different" than really be a great razor.

I always thought the Germans could engineer great razors like the "PILS" razor with it's precise cutting ability but why did they drop the ball with the Futur????

Interesting comments and different opinions on these razors. Probably something I need to try for myself to be sure.

I got my Futur after DE shaving for about 6 months. I was still getting weepers with my EJ89 so as you would expect the Futur cut me pretty bad a couple times. Fast forward 6 months to today. I get weeper and irritation free shaves with my regular razors and now find that the Futur gives me great shaves. You just have to show it respect and take your time. I like to load it with a middle of the road blade (Astra SS) instead of a really sharp blade.

Despite all the talk on how aggressive it is, I find that the lowest setting gives a very comfortable shave. In fact, I find it more comfortable than a Slim on 5+. Can't seem to get a very close shave out of it though, but that's just me.

Futur and Progress are both good razors. Progress is a little milder, and probably a little more smooth. It's definitely quieter, the Futur is LOUD. I prefer the shorter handle of the Progress, personally. I prefer the faster and easier blade changing on the Futur. Pros and cons for each.

My relationship with the Futur is like a sine wave. we have our good times then I fall out of love again. Currently it's on my desk in punishment, but perhaps in March it will find a spot in my heart again.

Well I found one in gold at the shopping mall...hummed and hawed and bought it with a puck of MWF. Then I went and spent money on my wife and daughter to lessen the blow

Have both the Futur and Progress, love both! These are both heavy razors and you do not need to apply much pressure when shaving . . . let the razor weight do it's thing.

Well I tried it tonight and it was a pretty rough shave. I was shocked at the blade gap at setting 1. I have a lot of razor burn tonight. After all couldn't help but think why it should be so aggressive. I examined the razor just now and realized that the handle wasn't screwed all the way in when you compress the adjustment spring. In essence it as like I was shaving on setting 6 or more. I screwed it all the way and it clearly is now at a much more reasonable level at setting 1.

I also also used the supplied blade which I find are pretty poor. Anyway look forward to trying it again when my face heals in a day or so !!

Yeah the Merkur blades are barely one step removed from shaving with a broken bottle IMHO. Pop a GSB in there and just groove on it.

Last edited:
I have Astro, Derby and Feather. I may try the Derby in it tonight. I wish I paid more attention to how it was assembled. I wonder if anyone else made my mistake and came away thinking the Furtur @ setting 1 is crazy aggressive.

As a newbie I am looking for a mild razor. I had considered getting a merkur but I may wait until I have more experience under my belt.

I love my futur. I get some great close shaves with it. I find it very easy to change the blade contrary to many comments on this forum. It's a solid well made performer. I usually keep the settings on One or two ; any higher and it can be aggressive. I have nicked myself on occasion when I get lazy. You do need to be on top of your game with this.

Top Bottom