What's new

Strop width preference

I know strop width is mostly a personally preference. Obviously if you have a 3 inch strop you won't have to do x strokes. Those of you that are experienced and prefer narrow strops (less than 3 inches) why is that? Do you get better results with x strokes? Or what?

My one and only is a 2" and I surely would like a new one, 2 1/2 is the widest
that would interest me. I suppose that's my comfort threshold.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
If your razor were warped a bit an x-stroke would ensure all the blade touches the strop.

2.5'' with barber ends does it for me!
It felt weird doing x strokes at first, coming from a 3'' strop.

Legion

Staff member
My strop is 3", but that was only so I could match the leather component to the linen I wanted to use. Given the choice, 2.5" is my ideal.

I have a 3" paddle and a 2.5" hanging strop. I prefer the hanging strop over the paddle, and don't miss the extra half inch: I always make slight X-strokes, also on the paddle where I can basically strop the entire width of most blades without X's.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
2-3/4" would be the ideal width for me. I have several 3" strops. A bit of x-stroke action is a good idea for a bunch of reasons, even on a 3" strop. Just do it.

I like narrower strops I have 2 horse hide strops at 2.25" and a shell at 2.5". For me, a narrower strop reduces the chance of cupping. Also on wider strops I often feel that I have more pressure on one side trying to twist the strop. All of that said, I recently won a 3" SRD 'roo' strop at Charlie Lewis' razor making meet. I like this strop very much and the suppleness of the 'roo' leaves no possibility for any cupping problems.

I like them all. 2" -2.5 It's good if you do not have the Rings or handles on the end because of the grip but I like my 3". Either way I do an X stroke. I think a three inch looks the best though but I can make do with any Size. It's more about the material in the treatment than The size.

Top Bottom