What's new

When did you start DE shaving?

I used a DE shaver in an old college rental home I found in the bathroom cabinet. This was 30 years ago for a few months but used it improperly because it bit me a few times. The next 30 years I whizzed money away on bad plastic razors.

At 49 years old I went DE and will never turn back. I can shave with a DE as quick or quicker than an overpriced cartridge.

If you want to be really quick, use Cremo and slap it on with your hands. You can literally set up for DE shaving within 10 seconds - COLD, which I like the best. I can apply the Cremo and be done shaving in less than 3 minutes.

However I like the lathering when I have the extra 10 minutes which is out of the time.

When thus happen in September! But, also went back to using straights along with DE's when it healed.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 75
I started back in 1962, using a Gillette adjustable. My dad always used injectors with Rise foam. But back then I couldn't hack the injectors. I used DE's up until the early 80's when I switched to a Trac II. Then to the Mach 3, for many years. Then the price of cartridges started to get our of hand, and I switched to electrics. I did save some money. but about 2 years ago started to get bad irritation from them. Dr. suggested going back to a "razor" to shave. I didn't want to spend the obsene amount that cartridges cost, did some research and rediscovered DE's. I got decent shaves, CCS, but still had irritation but not as bad. Then in October 2015, I thought I'd try an injector. Now, 50 years later I know why my dad used injectors. They give me great shaves. I highly recommend them, even if that drives up the cost.

Started in 1965 with an older Super Speed. Used it for years and still have it. Progressed??? to Trac II basically because I could not find the DE blades I wanted to use. But thanks to the internet, I went back to my SS. When my Dad passed, I picked up his Fat Tech. When Mom passed, I picked up her Red Tip. I used them for a while, Red WTG and Tech ATG. Just wanted to use only one razor so I picked up a Black Beauty. The blade gap on the BB at 8 matches the Red and on 5 matches the Fat. Been using it for while. Now and then I use the Red and Fat, but hate the idea of wasting blades.

Greg W.

What in blue heaven happened to your arm?
Complete Bicep tendon reconstruction. Tore the bicep, the tendon, and ripped it from the Ulna bone in the forearm.
A quick lesson in I need a backup shaving plan. I only owned straight razors up until this happened.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Probably close to JMSR above, circa 1962, with a Gillette Adjustable, blue blades is what I recall. Ouch. But, still and all, at the end of days, I'd take the Fatboy to the end

I started really in about August 2013 at the age of 41. I don't count the dry shaves with my Dad's Super Adjustable when I was 16. I only shaved the small patches on the corners of my upper lip. Then I got an electric shaver for Christmas than year.

Almost three years ago when I got enough of the Fusion and all the other shaving methods I tried. I wish I started many years earlier with DE shaving.

About 4 weeks ago. January 2016. I had just turned 29. Now I'm hooked. It's awesome hearing about those of you still using your first razor after some years!

My first shaves around 1979 were with DE razors then I went with a Schick Stick for a few years. Trac II in college then off to other multi-blades for quite a few years. Came back to DE in January 2014 at age 49.

My first attempt was around 35 years ago in the early 80's as a teen. My dad wasn't around and had he been, would not have been much help as he did/does use an electric. Needless to say, it was a blood letting and it pushed me into the world of carts. I re-entered this world in 2010 thanks to my kids getting me some "old fashioned shaving stuff" for Father's Day.

Last edited:
Started in 1974, at the age of 17, with a Schick Krona. The year after I got a Slim Adjustable and a Fatboy which have been my daily drivers since then.

Top Bottom