What's new

Some unusual slants

Here's an unusual set of Apollo, Sonal, and Walbusch slants. I've presented the Walbusch previously, but was surprised to see the similarities and differences among these 3 razors.
proxy.php

proxy.php

This is a real departure for the Apollo folks -- unusual design.
proxy.php

The Sonal is Bakelite through & through -- except for the head attaching screw.
proxy.php

And the team of them -- looking similar and different.
proxy.php

I like them all -- but am partial to the Walbusch. And it's amazing that they all work quite well, even on the tight area under the nose. Not quite as extreme as the twisted blade Fasan razors, but still the blade slices right through the stubble.

I have always been jealous of Jake's razors. I think I should also be jealous of his pictures.

Either way, very nice, Jake!

Nice collection. I have yet to get a slant. The closest one I have is a slant stroke razor that is not a slant.

Jake I stopped by my lawyer's office and he said he could draw up my adoption papers this week if it's handy for you.

Please!!!

Nice set of razors.
These diagonals as I call them, to differentiate from the torqued slants, were rather popular during the 20s-50's. The for me most interesting thing in this picture is the Apollo: that model I haven't seen before. Truly nice catch.
The Walbusch was also made as a non-adjustable. That version was marketed under several different brandnames. So the Walbusch-head (the non-adjustable) can be found more often.

Some more of those heads:

ltr: Ile de France (takes proprietary blades), Walbusch non-adjustable, unbranded (box says "Thermendrogerie Karlovy Karlsbad", a local drugstore in the city of Karlsbad):
proxy.php

As Jake mentions the Apollo is an interesting razor for them and a very nice shaver. All Bakelite except for the Zamac plated cap and overall heavy for its size. It is a two piece razor with a head that swivels. The head design was common to a lot of razors from the 1930-1950 period and was usually executed in Bakelite or other plastic with various caps. If the head base was executed in metal it would probably make the razor to heavy, though there is a metal version of the French Ile de France. Many different companies used this slant/diagonal design and it probably came from Solingen like the famous twist slant design seen on so many razors.

Nice set of razors.
These diagonals as I call them, to differentiate from the torqued slants, were rather popular during the 20s-50's. The for me most interesting thing in this picture is the Apollo: that model I haven't seen before. Truly nice catch.
The Walbusch was also made as a non-adjustable. That version was marketed under several different brandnames. So the Walbusch-head (the non-adjustable) can be found more often.
Good point to differentiate the different designed "slant" razor: diagonals and slants. Insightful distinction.

As Jake mentions the Apollo is an interesting razor for them and a very nice shaver. All Bakelite except for the Zamac plated cap and overall heavy for its size. It is a two piece razor with a head that swivels. The head design was common to a lot of razors from the 1930-1950 period and was usually executed in Bakelite or other plastic with various caps. If the head base was executed in metal it would probably make the razor to heavy, though there is a metal version of the French Ile de France. Many different companies used this slant/diagonal design and it probably came from Solingen like the famous twist slant design seen on so many razors.
And although the twist slant design was apparently first developed in the USA, it wasn't put into production until it was perfected in Germany -- likely by the Fasan company who made some very fine razors -- to be reviewed a little more in my next post. And thanks for filling in more of the history Gary. Your insights are appreciated.

The Apollo was model No. 311 and originally sold for 3.50 DM Mine is in a fitted cardboard box, not the plastic case, and shows the model and price on the back.

DM means it's post 1948. This is interesting because the grip looks older than that. It also means this Apollo was produced by Herkenrath, who acquired the Apollo-brand in 1943.

The Apollo was model No. 311 and originally sold for 3.50 DM Mine is in a fitted cardboard box, not the plastic case, and shows the model and price on the back.
Do you have any photos of this set and the box? Are you certain the price is DM and not Mk? Would make a big difference & would be great to see photos. Thanks.

Hello. I'm a razors collector. I'm Italian. And I'm writing with Google and then personalized the mistakes. I am in possession of the Apollo 311 Slant Bar shaver that at the time was 3.50 Mk (Brands) here are the pictures:
PS: Jake you have a fantastic collection! you are my myth! :)

Nice razor Benedetto

Top Bottom