What's new

AOS vs. Godrej cream?

So based on where I live, I can get AOS cream from the Art of Shaving outlet store. But, I also found Godrej Deluxe Lather for like $2.99 at my local ethnic store.

Should I bother with the AOS at all? Based on what I've read here, it seems that Godrej gives the most performance per dollar.

Just did that.
I got two samples of AOS unscented. It includes like 2 days worth of Pre-shave oil, the Cream, and the Aftershave.

I think the oil's kinda useless, but the Cream and aftershave is probably a nice combo

Do you think AOS cream is worth $25 for a tub? It seems pricier if used every single morning

Do you think AOS cream is worth $25 for a tub? It seems pricier if used every single morning

It's not the worst cream in the $25 range :) It lathers easily and provides ample slickness and cushion. Post shave feel usually gets a thumbs up. It's readily available for most, in the US, so it's a good place to start. The Sandalwood Cream is one of the best sandalwood scents on the market. Whether it's worth $25 a tub is up to you. Is shaving a hobby or necessity for you?

First, I absolutely love AoS Sandalwood. IMO, it is the best sandalwood scent out there. However, I must say that the only reason to consider AoS creams is for their scent(s). Performance is very high but that level can be obtained from other cheaper products. Only the sandalwood scent is unmatched / unique.

I have used up a tube each of Godrej Menthol Mist and Godrej Lime. Performance comes very close to AoS but the sheer low-cost of each tube makes it a no-brainer to go with it first. If anyone must try AoS Sandalwood, I would recommend going to their store and obtain a free sample of the cream.

IHO, Godrej is a good cream but not as good as the AoS products. However, for the price, Godrej is an incredible value.

There is a trend here. Value vs. luxury. I like AoS. I have two of their creams (Peppermint and Lavender) and one soap (Lavender). They are in rotation for a host of other creams and soaps. Would I spend the money and use them exclusively? I'm on the fence on that. TOBS is a "tweener" between AoS and Godrej regarding value. That may be a better place to make the decision. I find TOBS and AoS to be very close in performance... with just a hair difference where AoS has a ever so slightly better lather.

I'm starting to like the Godrej because of its lanolin, that gives good glide. It's not a billowy lather, but still effective nonetheless. I had to use more of the cream than I did with AOS.

I liked AOS unscented a lot because a little bit of it lathers into soooo much. I feel like the slickness is good for both.
This probably leaves Godrej as a daily. It's just hard to beat when a tube is only $3.

And btw, chinmusic82, I'm guessing you are South Indian based on ur display pic?

I have heard things about Godrej but yet to try it. I do love my AoS Lemon Cream, but at $25 per tub it's kind of my special occasion cream and not for daily use.

I feel like Godrej is designed for people with dense beards. It's ingredients got potassium hydroxide to chemically melt your hair, and lanolin to give good glide.

I've heard there is also a Godrej Shaving Round, which is a cheap puck. I don't think any Indian stores in the US would carry that. I'd be interested in trying it

It's been in production for sooooo many decades.

I feel like Godrej is designed for people with dense beards. It's ingredients got potassium hydroxide to chemically melt your hair, and lanolin to give good glide.
The Potassium Hydroxide is used to saponify the fats, in the ingredients list. It's not for melting your facial hair.

Last edited:
The only AOS cream I have ever used is the sandalwood and it is by far my favorite take on the scent, not to mention the excellent cushion and slickness. While I do think it should be at least a couple dollars cheaper, I must confess that I do cough up the $25 to keep it in my rotation. As for Godrej, I got a tube of the Lime Fresh in a trade a few months ago and it really hasn't won me over. I'm extremely picky when it comes to citrus scents to begin with (I HATE orange, and only like certain kinds of lemon and lime ones), and the scent never won me over. The performance is okay but it is very drying on my skin so I only use it every so often and I'm considering PIF'ing it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom