What's new

Van Der Haagen Brush - Shedding Normal?

I have a Van Der Haagan Brush that I got from Target about 5-6 months ago. It did its normal shedding but still sheds, at least 5 hairs each day every time I shave. Is this normal?

What brush should I get next?

Typically a brush will shed a few hairs at first. The really good ones shed very little. Unfortunately the VDH brush is known for falling apart. I highly recommend a Semogue boar or an Omega Pro 49. These brushes are decently priced and have worked really well for me.

Was it their badger or boar brush?
I bought their boar brush in early December and it shed like crazy for the first week and a half or so.
Had to unclog the sink and found many boar hairs among my girlfriends hair lol
But it did finally stop shedding with daily use after that week and half.
Their badger brush is now available at my local Walmart so I was thinking about buying it.

I had one. It shed quite a bit for a few weeks, worked decently for 6 months, and then started shedding again about 10 hairs a day. Good starter brush that tells you when it's time to upgrade!

That was my first brush, too. I bought it a few months ago. But I fairly quickly got a Vulfix 2234. I haven't used the VDH enough to know when it's supposed to stop shedding. The amount doesn't sound like too many hairs are being lost. I'd keep using it if you like it. Keep an eye on it.

I have one , a boar and it was my first (since I can't find my old stuff) since returning . It shed like a cat for a few weeks , then just the occasional hair . I used it last night on a hard puck of TOBS Traditional Luxury and it lost one hair , I thought that wasn't bad . I have a Professional Style Boar , it's really soft , but the loft makes it more like a paint brush , I still like it , but I use a couple of Two Bands , a Zen , and RazoRock , and a Simpson Classic 2 Best (little lather machine) Badger .

Last edited:
I have a green handled boar which is about 8 or 9 months old now. Even with daily use for the first 4 months and my current run for the last 3 weeks (I lent my Kong to a friend to help him decide on wet shaving), it hasn't shed much at all. Maybe a dozen in the beginning and one a month since.
I've got a couple of black or dark blue handle brushes in the two VDH starter kits I bought to PIF so I haven't used them but I'm not sure if they are boar or badger.
I understand that VDH makes boar and badger and they seem to make a variety of handle colors but I've never found any information on if they have a color coding system.

Was it their badger or boar brush?
I bought their boar brush in early December and it shed like crazy for the first week and a half or so.
Had to unclog the sink and found many boar hairs among my girlfriends hair lol
But it did finally stop shedding with daily use after that week and half.
Their badger brush is now available at my local Walmart so I was thinking about buying it.

It was their badger brush. The glue also came loose, so the entire brush part of the brush came away from the handle, but that was able to slide back in. Cheap brush. Still works though.

It was their badger brush. The glue also came loose, so the entire brush part of the brush came away from the handle, but that was able to slide back in. Cheap brush. Still works though.

This happened to my VHD boar brush. Then the middle glue started to fall apart and left a gaping hole in the middle. Before it became a lost cause, I moved on to a Semogue 1800 boar brush and haven't looked back. The only thing I have added are more brushes. Because why not? Just be careful of the rabbit hole you may enter.

I know you tried a badger, but higher end badgers open a whole new world. Boars are a very economical option and can break in just as well as a $$$ badger. Synthetics are cheap and has been getting popular. Horsehair gives you another interesting option.

I have one of each and enjoy each brush for different reasons. Plus it allows me to rotate and makes things interesting.

Good luck!

This happened to my VHD boar brush. Then the middle glue started to fall apart and left a gaping hole in the middle. Before it became a lost cause, I moved on to a Semogue 1800 boar brush and haven't looked back. The only thing I have added are more brushes. Because why not? Just be careful of the rabbit hole you may enter.

I know you tried a badger, but higher end badgers open a whole new world. Boars are a very economical option and can break in just as well as a $$$ badger. Synthetics are cheap and has been getting popular. Horsehair gives you another interesting option.

I have one of each and enjoy each brush for different reasons. Plus it allows me to rotate and makes things interesting.

Good luck!

Thank you - just bought a Semogue 1800 on amazon. Looking forward to checking it out.

I've had both the boar and the badger. I used the boar for about a year and it shed like crazy. the badger I've been using for about 5 years it shed about one hair every other shave now and that started recently, I used it yesterday for the last time as I got one of the 3 new brushes I have ordered.

As with other's I've owned the VDH badger and it shed horribly after some time. I gifted it to a relative with a razor I restored. Great starter brush but it will not last.

If you want to acquire an inexpensive yet well put together brush and aren't a big name brand person I would suggest trying out Whipped Dog. Spent $45 on a 30mm silvertip brush 3 years ago and never regretted it one bit. Other good options are going for an Edwin Jagger or Omega new. You could also look on the gentlemanly deals forum or marketplace here for a used brush.

As with other's I've owned the VDH badger and it shed horribly after some time. I gifted it to a relative with a razor I restored. Great starter brush but it will not last.

If you want to acquire an inexpensive yet well put together brush and aren't a big name brand person I would suggest trying out Whipped Dog. Spent $45 on a 30mm silvertip brush 3 years ago and never regretted it one bit. Other good options are going for an Edwin Jagger or Omega new. You could also look on the gentlemanly deals forum or marketplace here for a used brush.
Whipped Dog are great brushes for the price & fast service too! The 24mm synthetic works well. Good luck!

I have and still use a VDH boar. It shed a lot at first, but not ao much lately. Maybe a hair or 2...

For inexpensive alternatives, checkout the Razorock boar brushes and Maggard Razors synthetics. I have both and find them bith to be simoly fantastic. The RR boar is soft and gentle right out of the box. The MR synthetic is super soft and just pukes lather.

RR boar is about $20. MR synthetic is $12.

I have two: A boar I've used for a year, and a badger I bought last Friday. The boar shed a hair or two each shave longer than I liked, maybe a month, then one occasionally, and then stopped. The badger shed less than five the first use, down to one yesterday, and didn't notice any today. Don't think I ever had five at a time.

Van der Hagen doesn't seem to have a good reputation here, and all I used until I got the first was an Ever Ready, so I'm no expert. I do know if I had a bad experience with VdH, I wouldn't throw more money in their direction. It went through my mind this morning that if the brush really started going bad that at least I had a nice handle for a replacement knot.

I bought both the VDH kits, one with the boar and one with the badger. Been using them about seven weeks and so far neither has shed more than a few hairs. Guess I must be lucky. I hope they don't fall apart too quickly because I like them both, though I think I prefer the stiffer boar bristles. Anyway, minimal shedding so far. My head loses more hairs than these brushes.

They shed like a puppy blowing out its coat. Smoked three in a year. False economy. Better off with an Omega pro bore brush for 10-20 bucks. Can't beat a 10098.

Top Bottom