What's new

SE Open Comb choices

I'm interested in getting an open comb SE razor that takes a currently manufactured SE blade.

This Gem caught my eye because the teeth are beefy -- I much prefer this type of construction for aesthetic reasons.

$gem.jpg

Is this model razor a good shaver, are there better ? Are there other brands of beefy toothed open comb SE razors to consider?

I owned one a few years ago: solid and unforgivable razor.
Good construction, good balance (I like my razors on the heavy side); but to aggressive for me.

If you can get one on a good price I assure you some really good shaves

That Micromatic Open Comb is an excellent shaver. Just be sure to keep the blade almost parallel to your face and you will get a truly smooth and close shave. Yes, it is aggressive, but good technique makes it behave superbly.

You cannot go wrong with a Micromatic Open Comb, providing that you like your razors on the aggressive side. They are easy to find and built like a tank. Trivia: The MMOC was the first TTO razor, pre-dating Gillette by a few years.

There is an open comb version of the Gem Damaskeene 1912, but it is somewhat rare and will be expensive if you do find one.

A Valet Autostrop VB1 and VC1 are open comb and will take a modified Gem blade.

Also consider that while the basic 1912 is technically a closed comb razor, the teeth of the come curve away from the face before being joined. In other words, it functions more like an open comb than a safety bar razor. Besides, everybody should have a 1912.

The lather catchers are mostly open comb, but again these can be hard to find and expensive.

Short version: Buy the Micromatic.

--Bob

My first experience with an SE razor was this morning, with an Ernst Scharff loaded with a Gem Super Stainless Steel blade. I did OK with it, but it sure reminds you who is boss. Wonder how it and the Micromatic OC compare?

Also consider that while the basic 1912 is technically a closed comb razor, the teeth of the come curve away from the face before being joined. In other words, it functions more like an open comb than a safety bar razor. Besides, everybody should have a 1912.
This

Also 1924s are great too.

As mentioned above most although not all SEs with open combs are Lather catchers or French Hoe Razors..Most of the Aggressive SEs that I have in my collection are Closed Combs..:w00t:

Billy

I highly recommend the open comb Micromatic. I almost made the big mistake in deciding not to try one out due to its dangerous reputation but later on down the road I gave the OCMM a twirl. After my first trial I`ve been hooked to one for a good while now. It is mainly my daily shaver for over half a year! I know you`re interested in an open comb but a clog pruf Micromatic might fit the bill as well? The clog pruf is another great shaver. If you decide to try one of these out I hope you`ll like them?

Weck Surgical:

proxy.php

... quite rare. So yes, if you want an open comb SE then the widely available Micromatic is the way to go. Like the R41, I don't think it deserves its reputation - it's simply a good, smooth shaver.

You cannot go wrong with a Micromatic Open Comb, providing that you like your razors on the aggressive side. They are easy to find and built like a tank. Trivia: The MMOC was the first TTO razor, pre-dating Gillette by a few years.

There is an open comb version of the Gem Damaskeene 1912, but it is somewhat rare and will be expensive if you do find one.

A Valet Autostrop VB1 and VC1 are open comb and will take a modified Gem blade.

The lather catchers are mostly open comb, but again these can be hard to find and expensive.

Short version: Buy the Micromatic.

--Bob

+1

My first SE was the MMOC, it has always provided a good smooth shave. As stated above, as the curve of the teeth (ie: GEM Jr.) are "joined" away from the face, there are several "open comb" SE to choose from.

View attachment 636180

just picked up this one on ebay for a song....can't wait to get it cleaned up!...I have a silver one that I haven't tried yet, but I am using my 1912 and a Clog Pruf....I like them both alot!!

just picked up this one on ebay for a song....can't wait to get it cleaned up!...I have a silver one that I haven't tried yet, but I am using my 1912 and a Clog Pruf....I like them both alot!!

Thanks, saw that one. Gives me an idea of what to pay. Hope to buy one soon, I think I'm going to love the Micromatic.

Top Bottom