What's new

Do not understand the pride associated with using a blade 5+ times

A bade is a tool. If it doesn't do the job, then out it goes. My Shark is still cutting without pulling after 20 shaves. It's predecessor lasted 5. Who knows why....

I don't understand why people eat olives. I think they're deplorable.

But they eat them. C'est la Vie.

I use one type of blade and prior testing has proven that for me the sixth shave is the point where the shave is not quite as good, so I use them for five. Some other types I've tried were good for three or four, but as soon as I feel that they're not delivering they go out.

For the record, I got about a week out of a cartridge.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

The emphasis placed by all on B&B is to enjoy your shaves and do what works for you. There are some on here that use a new blade every shave, others shave a week or more with a blade. Most will shave until the blade stops performing then drop it out.

There are no set rules in shaving other than....... try to keep the red stuff on the inside. :yesnod:

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

You and I have the same dislike of olives! The thought of eating an olive makes my stomach get queasy. The smell of olives makes me want to puke. Yet my wife (and all her sisters) loves olives. While I hate olives, I love my wife, despite her olive fixation.

I'm guilty of seeing how far a blade will go before it tugs...it's like those drivers who see how far a tank of gas will last by driving below the speed limit (hypermilers). Wet shavers who use blades until failure could be classified as hypershavers I guess.

As my technique improved I noticed blades lasting longer. When I started out I was getting three shaves from a blade. Now, with a good blade, I don't notice a significant drop off in shave quality for at least six shaves. I'm not trying to be cheap but it's more of a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thing so why bother changing the blade.

I usually go six shaves on a blade now only because I use a die to track shaves per blade and that's as high as it goes. I've gone as high as 30 shaves on a Feather de blade just to see how far I could take one and for me I started to notice a lesser quality shave somewhere around 20 shaves. So at six shaves I know I'm still binning a blade that has a lot of life left in it.

It does matter which blade you choose as I've also used some blades that are one good shave and then they're garbage.

Last edited:
I really don't think it's pride, but a combination of curiosity and getting the most out of a blade. No one is torturing themselves using blades beyond their useful lives. When I first started with a DE razor, I used for 3 shaves and tossed - to eliminate a variable that might contribute to a poor shave. Once I got better, I started going a bit farther with blades to see at what point they became a chore to use.
Currently taking part in One Blade February with a Voskhod to see if it can go the distance and if not, at what point does it become less enjoyable to shave with. They usually get pitched in the 7-12 range.
I'm with you on using a cart beyond it's usable life. Made a bad thing worse, for sure. Never want to get to that point of miserable shaves again.
In the end, do what works for you. :001_smile

Maybe some spent so much on all the other stuff that their blade budget is empty and have to make them last?

But from what I've seen on here, mileage varies a lot form one person to another, which I attribute to hair shape, some must have hairs that offers little resistance to the blades edge, so the blades can last much longer for them. Others are just immune to the tugging, others don't mind the tugging, others might enjoy the tugging, etc.

I think that some have great technique, others terrible technique, and it all impacts the shave's quality and the wear on the blade's edge.

There's a lot of factors in play, and I'd believe that what some would consider a great shave, would be screaming bloody murder for someone else.

But that's kinda part of the fun we're all having with DE shaving.

I go with a blade until it tugs, shave quality drops or i get bored, whichever comes first. Could be a couple days, could be weeks, i won't be losing any sleep over it.
dave

Hi,

It all depends on the variables. Razor, blade, soap, prep and....what ya got by way of hair. Some are One and Done. Some can go weeks. Me, I am a 7-day guy even though my testing shows I can go 12. Going 7 means I can change out every Monday morning.

There is no pride involved. It is just what is a fact for my variables. ;)

Stan

YMMV of course. I disagree with the OP's assertion that a person using a blade for a week or more is a "pride" thing. Heck, I don't even see any pride or boasting from those posting about "One Blade in February" or even the Excalibur thread using a blade for weeks and months. I think that most are just saying what they have found about blade longevity.

My story was I followed the experience of others and routinely tossed a blade after 4-5 shaves. I didn't see any blade degradation or loss of shave quality so I just did my own testing. I also talked to people that were DE shavers in the 50's and 60's and no one tossed a blade before a week or more. Times were different then I guess. Anyway, I found any blade I use is good for 6-7 shaves so I have been on something of a quest to go "a blade a week'. That's just me, IMO. Not suggesting that for anyone else and not bragging. YMMV!

... and the answer is... It's a hobby. I read the Excalibur club posts just for the entertainment value. Personally, I've got my blade and razor pretty much locked in and choose to focus on soaps, creams and brushes. But... I also enjoy reading about other's forays into hand-stropping, and other techniques I consider extreme blade maintenance. Not where I intend to take this hobby, but I would never think that others interests would (should) match up with mine. How boring B&B would be if they did. (I am not that interesting.).

I go with a blade until it tugs, shave quality drops or i get bored, whichever comes first. Could be a couple days, could be weeks, i won't be losing any sleep over it.
dave

With'ya, davent. All totally acceptable reasons to make a switch. And the great thing about DE blades is that you can do so without feeling like you've just peed away the family fortune.

Top Bottom