What's new

Gorham sterling travel brush restore

I was perusing a local antique shop after indulging in my other hobby (the pistol shop next door) and saw this beautiful set and the owner was willing to come down on the price. I lucked out in that he didn't even know there was a 100 year old half-used shave stick (with a faint scent to it, still) or the brush in the tube. It looks like it was made by the Gorham firm in 1912 (from the silver hallmarks) and it has beautiful engraving (this great Edwardian/Gilded Age design of floral motifs)

So, from left to right:

The brush (with knot removed), toothbrush container, talcum powder dispenser, shaving stick tube, and shaving brush tube.
$IMG_20160204_124048.jpg

The final pictures show the brush with a Golden Nib 16mm knot (I undersized here by mistake the loft is a little higher than desired because I was unwilling to 'punch' a hole in the base to get the knot in a bit deeper).
$IMG_20160206_074310.jpg

The original 100 year old knot came out pretty easily (one good yank with a pair of pliers) and I set it with Devcon 5 minute clear epoxy.

Thanks, gentlemen. I purchased one of these Field and Stream oiled canvas travel dopp bags and plan on using this set when I take a trip here in a few weeks. It should be fun!

Top Bottom