What's new

Is this a Gillette?

The khaki case is Gillette, but I don't see anything to indicate whether the razor is Gillette

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/331767971209

$image.jpeg

Thank you for your insight

Attachments

• $image.jpeg
    $image.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 170
Probably. But keep in mind the US contracted with many makers for numerous items and they made perfect clones of the original item - original drawings were provided. For example, Singer and Remington also made Garrand rifles, the Singers bringing the highest prices of any WWII vintage Garrand.

WWII Garands were made by the government at Springfield Armory and by Winchester only. Singer made M1911 pistols, not Garands. Remington did not manufacture either weapon.

During Korea, Garands were made by Springfield Armory, International Harvester, and Harrington & Richardson.

Probably. But keep in mind the US contracted with many makers for numerous items and they made perfect clones of the original item - original drawings were provided. For example, Singer and Remington also made Garrand rifles, the Singers bringing the highest prices of any WWII vintage Garrand.

WWII Garands were made by the government at Springfield Armory and by Winchester only. Singer made M1911 pistols, not Garands. Remington did not manufacture either weapon.

During Korea, Garands were made by Springfield Armory, International Harvester, and Harrington & Richardson.

Absolutley right, I was thinking 03's Too early.

Absolutely right, I was thinking 03's. Too early in the AM, but still illustrates how the US spreads wartime manufacturing out, sometimes to makers you wouldn't expect.

Agree. Some readers will also be intrigued that in WWII, the Smith Corona Typewriter Co. manufactured 1903's. Rock-Ola (yes, the juke box company) made M1 carbines as did GM, IBM, and the Underwood typewrter company. Lionel (the train company) made a wide variety of war items and Cadillac made tank engines. The list is a long one and interesting.

Absolutely right, I was thinking 03's. Too early in the AM, but still illustrates how the US spreads wartime manufacturing out, sometimes to makers you wouldn't expect.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Agree. Some readers will also be intrigued that in WWII, the Smith Corona Typewriter Co. manufactured 1903's. Rock-Ola (yes, the juke box company) made M1 carbines as did GM, IBM, and the Underwood typewrter company. Lionel (the train company) made a wide variety of war items and Cadillac made tank engines. The list is a long one and interesting.

And since we're talking typewriters, Remington Rand made 1911s

The khaki case is Gillette, but I don't see anything to indicate whether the razor is Gillette

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/331767971209

View attachment 635531

Thank you for your insight

Looks like everyone got off the subject, but if you didn't catch the answer, it is a Gillette design, but possibly contracted out to another source by the US Army. I think that even if Gillette manufactured it, they might not have been allowed to put their brand logo on it.

Top Bottom