What's new

Wanna Check Out Another Aggressive Razor?

I hope the mods and stewards will let this thread stay here.

I’m an aggressive DE guy. My favorite razors are the ATT H2, R41 (both 2011 and 2013), Wolfman open comb with an increased blade gap to .74mm, Ikon Shavecraft Tech, and FaTip open comb. Many others, including all my vintage Gillettes, simply don’t shave close enough for my taste.

In my continuing quest to expand my useful inventory, I last year went to the Single Edge Razor forum when I thought I’d tapped out the aggressive DE market. I read that many find some SEs to be aggressive, including the Schick Injector E2, MicroMatic Open Comb, Cobra, etc. Most of the razors had complex designs, or moving parts. All of my favorite DEs are simple, with no moving parts. So I was skeptical about SEs.

Then I read about the Mongoose, and bought it. A simple design, stainless steel, no moving parts. An established blade system, using the Feather Artist Club blades. A winner.

When I first used the Mongoose, I used Feather Pro blades. They were reputed to be sharp and efficient. After about a dozen shaves, I was disappointed. The Mongoose was just another inefficient razor in my inventory.

Then I popped in a Feather Pro Super blade, which was a game changer. Aggressive and efficient, largely because the blade is bigger than the Pro (the larger blade creates a larger blade exposure). In my DE razors, the blade doesn’t matter much to me, probably because they’re all the same size.

The Mongoose is now in my aggressive razor rotation, but only with the Super blade.

I write this not as a Mongoose fanboy, but to encourage DE forum visitors to also visit the SE forum. There’s some good information over there, and many thoughtful SE evangelists!

Since you like aggressive razors, you may want to explore the world of devettes. I started using them a little over a year ago, and never looked back.

Since you like aggressive razors, you may want to explore the world of devettes. I started using them a little over a year ago, and never looked back.

I've thought about it, and may do so someday. Straights also call out to me, but I'm going to avoid that rabbit hole until I retire...

I have been visiting the SE forums lately and just started taking part in Single Edge Sunday. That Mongoose looks great, hope they will do an open comb model at some point.

I have been visiting the SE forums lately and just started taking part in Single Edge Sunday. That Mongoose looks great, hope they will do an open comb model at some point.

Mongoose has plans to create an open comb. Rumor has it that ATT also plans an open comb SE. I'm an open comb guy, so I'm looking forward to these developments.

I've used my Mongoose exclusively over the last week, with the same Feather Super Pro blade. It's now part of my regular rotation.

Top Bottom