What's new

Help with some info on 2 different cotis

I have two hand-held coti's generously on loan from one of our B&B compadres. I'm in my early experimental phase with these, and they are my first cotis as well. Up till now I've been using a synth set up with consistently excellent results: Chosera 1K, Naniwa 5K/8K/12K, Suehiro Gokumyo 20K; and recently been working with my first JNAT and still trying to get it dialed in on a consistent basis.

So these two cotis are very different and was curious to hear some thoughts that some of you coti experts might share.

The one that I like best is the shorter, "yellower" one. It has an excellent "feel" and has produced very nice results on two different razors (Torrey quarter hollow, and Genco Next full hollow). The "grayer" one is perplexing to me. It doesn't "feel" like it's doing anything to the edge. There is no swarf/swarth produced, and it seems as if the razor is just gliding over the stone, and not in what I would call an effective way. Curious.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

View attachment 635450

$Coti1.jpg

Sounds like you have a faster and a slower hone. People who are used to synthetic speeds can become very frustrated with a slow coti. To give it a good trial I would recommend taking a shave ready edge to it for a good long while on water only and trying that shave. That will give you a good indication of its finishing capability. If the finish is to your liking you can always try heavier slurry to pick the speed up. Don't forget you should try both hones with both slurry stones. The slurry stone will effect the honing properties to some extent.

^
yup.

Shave off both stones repeatedly. Report back after trying different techniques on each stone.
Then you have something to gauge results by.
Feel on the stone is not neccessarily indicative of the finished results.

Sometimes helps to use a little pressure for a while in the beginning stages of water only also - then lighten up gradually so the stone works its way down to the apex. Beginning pressure slightly higher than the "pencil eraser" pressure.

^
yup.

Shave off both stones repeatedly. Report back after trying different techniques on each stone.
Then you have something to gauge results by.
Feel on the stone is not neccessarily indicative of the finished results.

That gem of wisdom is such a big deal I thought it should get a little boost! :thumbup1:

Roger that! Thanks :thumbup1:

BTW, I have been honing with the coti using the method that I saw on the Coticule.be website where no tape is used on bevel set and first mid range prog, then tape for finishing. Anyone else do that?

Last edited:
Roger that! Thanks :thumbup1:

BTW, I have been honing with the coti using the method that I saw on the Coticule.be website where no tape is used on bevel set and first mid range prog, then tape for finishing. Anyone else do that?

Unicot method - good question. I use dilucot myself.

That gem of wisdom is such a big deal I thought it should get a little boost! :thumbup1:

With a Caveat...

Feedback is a tell, and it can be used to know when 'done' has arrived.
What I meant was - some stones have very different 'feels'. I have a Jnat that gives up feedback that will rattle your molars and make the uninitiated wet their pants. But the edges are sublime. First time around the block on that one was jarring, to say the least.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this.....
Each stone's feedback is it's own, and two different stones can have markedly different feedback signatures that are relating the exact same thing.

Top Bottom