What's new

Narrow Blades

Grind size or spine thickness? :)

5/8" is less than I like but I happen to like my 5/8" a lot. I don't think I would want another 5/8" or less any time soon though.

I have a 5/8 blade that is a joy to use now and again. I prefer 6/8+ but that smaller blade sure is nimble.

Much like long barrels on rifles and shotguns and stabilizers on bows, the relationship of mass and moment for razor handling seems to leave me opting for better fine control, rather than "quick handling" (which is an advantage in things like quail shooting). So I tend to prefer the comfort zone of a 6/8, and maybe the wider blades are just the best design, though more expensive to make. Still, we are talking about straight razor shaving, plus all the attendant maintenance, so probably a penchant for flouting comfort zones can be expected, and flirtation with racy, svelte, unforgiving, but maneuverable blades stir the interest from time to time.

The Heljestrand MK No.30 is 4/8 and is also one of my very best razors (below in ivory dress). The Heljestrand No.24 is another great 4/8 as is Hellberg No.42. The 4/8 size requires some training to get used to but once you get the technique (shaving angle) set it's very rewarding in terms of extreme agility. The smaller size doesn't in any way mean that the shaving properties are inferior. Even so my favourite size is 5/8. I find 8/8 and larger to be too large and just dangerous.

$mkno30.jpg

5/8" is less than I like but I happen to like my 5/8" a lot. I don't think I would want another 5/8" or less any time soon though.

I reread my post and I wasn't clear enough - despite having a nice 5/8" that I like a lot, I don't really like 5/8" and would consider 18mm to be my minimum, preferring 20mm. In fact my favorite shave right now is my 20mm kamisori grind, which is only 50mm long; basically a 13/16" shorty :)

Wow that No.30 is beautiful. It's the thumb notch. No, the scales. No, the proportions.

Interesting to note that, like for Larry, there is a thumb notch involved. Do you think it makes the difference for you?

Wow that No.30 is beautiful. It's the thumb notch. No, the scales. No, the proportions.

Interesting to note that, like for Larry, there is a thumb notch involved. Do you think it makes the difference for you?
Well Larry really likes thumb notch razors. We very often share the same view when it comes to razor aesthetics, but while I'd call him devoted I'm more of a fanatic.[emoji2] I like all my thumb notch razors (I have no idea how many they are) no matter what size they are, from 4/8 to 15/16. So the answer to your question is: No the thumb notch hasn't got anything to do with it. I just like smaller razors.

I've also got a MK 30 in Ivory, and a MK 24. They don't see much use. I've also got a MK 31 that's plenty big enough to use daily, but would really love to try a 32. The 30 is about 80% sized compared to the 31 (tang and tail) which means I don't have as much real estate as I'd prefer based on my hand size. The 30 is just smaller overall and all around. It's more difficult for me to wield. The 24 has a more normal sized tang and tail, and is simple to hold, comparable to a 5/8 or a 6/8.

I generally prefer a 6-8/8, but smaller is usable. The 30 and 31 are extremely nimble, and a smaller blade shaves just fine, once you get used to using one. Blade angle is more critical with a smaller blade. Or.... Bigger blades allow for more disregard of maintaining a good blade angle to me.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I prefer larger as well. However I shaved last night with my Dovo 5/8, first time in years, and it was a good shave.

I am not as adroit as Polarbeard. Smaller blades tend to be a bit tipsy, due to how narrow they can get. A proper thumb notch, together with the back of the scales help open in shaving position, locks the razor into my hand. It becomes an extension of my fingers. The MK No. 31 does the best for me; the No. 32 not nearly as well. I think the best example/exaggeration of this may be the DePew's Perfect Razor. It's a tiny little blade that is rock-solid in hand; really remarkable.

Last edited:
May I request a profile shot, directly from the side, instead of the more interesting angle you have here? I think I see the blade dropping from the shank. I had thought to myself earlier that perhaps dropping the blade might give the effective change in moment that a wider blade gives. Maybe the best of both worlds? Or at least a nice compromise...

May I request a profile shot, directly from the side, instead of the more interesting angle you have here? I think I see the blade dropping from the shank. I had thought to myself earlier that perhaps dropping the blade might give the effective change in moment that a wider blade gives. Maybe the best of both worlds? Or at least a nice compromise...
Sure!
$uploadfromtaptalk1454885484605.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1454885499205.jpg

Just what I thought! Thanks Larry.

Now I need to make one like that so I can see how it works. I guess I can mock some up out of cheap/easy material to test drive. That would be excellent backpacking/cycling/canoeing.

Top Bottom