What's new

Omega Watch Repair Cost?

Hey fellas,

I inherited an Omega Seamaster Professional from my Uncle a couple of years ago. Well, I pulled it out of the drawer after about a month of non-use and it has stopped working. I wore it all day to see if it just needed to be "re-wound" but to no avail. I took it to the local jewelers and they have sent it off to some place to have it looked at and estimated. It is going to be around 4-6 weeks before I hear the estimate...
So my question is:

Depending on what is wrong with the watch, how much do repairs usually run on these watches?

I am a new-ish father (10 month old daughter:cool:) who really does not have much extra cash to "splurge" on a repair of a watch even though it is a middle of the road high end watch.

Any insight would be very grateful.

Best,
Lawrence

I wear a self winding Seamaster. I think that I was quoted around $200 for cleaning, timing etc. I've worn the watch almost continuously since Dec 2000 and it has yet to be serviced.

Most refurbishments run around $400-$700 from the Omega facility. Third party repairs vary. Wait to hear back from your jeweler and then decide if it is worth it to you.

I wear a self winding Seamaster. I think that I was quoted around $200 for cleaning, timing etc. I've worn the watch almost continuously since Dec 2000 and it has yet to be serviced.

I stand corrected. This is the correct price for service. I was thinking about Rolex.

i think refurbishing goes around 200 swiss francs + transport, they have rates on the omega webpage, omega.ch,

my Seamaster multifunction is due for a battery replacement, 70 euros and 2 weeks becuase they have to test the seals,

and my hamilton which is also from the swatch group, so its serviced by the same centers is 2 weeks in to its 6 week crown replacement,

If it was working when you put it in the drawer, it probably needs cleaning and lubrication. That is a specialized skill that your jeweler must not have. Typically it requires removing the movement, hands and dial and partial disassembly of the movement to get to the parts that need cleaning. A special cleaning solution that leaves no residue and parts cleaner are common. Old ones are mechanical and newer ones are ultrasonic. After cleaning, the parts must be dried typically on watch paper and with air. The jewels must be oiled, the watch assembled. Some of the jewels are tricky to get to, like the balance jewel because you don't want to disassemble the balance and usually lift it off while leaving the spring attached. So it is a delicate operation. Solutions and oil are specialized and technique is not something that just anyone can do. A couple years back it cost $60 for this treatment. The watch was an early 60s Seamaster date only automatic, 23 jewels I think. I live in a small town. When I lived in San Diego 13 years ago, it cost more. There is nothing proprietary about an Omega that requires it to go to the factory to be serviced. A competent watch maker can do the job.

I think there are solutions that are supposed to do both clean and lube and require less disassembly, but I don’t know how well they work.

Thank you for the insight guys!
I'll just have to wait and see what the damage will be.
If the ballpark estimate is going to be in the $200 range, then I might be able to swing that and maybe I'll have a working Omega on my wrist this summer!:cool:
Again, THANKS guys!

Does anyone know about this guy on eBay? I have my Dad's early-60's Seamaster that is running, but it needs a little TLC plus a crown and a bracelet latch part.

Looks a little off- on one hand he says rehab/refurbish then he talks about an estimate will be sent.

I have a good watchmaker but like everything else in NYC he's not cheap.

Looks a little off- on one hand he says rehab/refurbish then he talks about an estimate will be sent.

I have a good watchmaker but like everything else in NYC he's not cheap.

I just sent that guy an email about the exact same thing you are questioning. $200 + whatever else needs to be done to the watch?:confused:

I just sent that guy an email about the exact same thing you are questioning. $200 + whatever else needs to be done to the watch?:confused:

I'm guessing that is the case. $200 gets you a basic factory type service and he'll give you an estimate for any additional work or parts. He has good feedback and I seem to recall some mention of him on one of the watch forums, but can't find it.

I'm guessing that is the case. $200 gets you a basic factory type service and he'll give you an estimate for any additional work or parts. He has good feedback and I seem to recall some mention of him on one of the watch forums, but can't find it.

I think you are correct. When I send my Rolex for service, they replace gaskets, clean it, oil it and test it. If additional work or parts are needed that is extra.

Lawrence, My parents gave me a Seamaster Deville model back in 1967 for college graduation. It was and is a great watch. Have never had it cleaned and it still works great. One of the lugs broke off so the band would not attach. a few years ago I took the watch to a local jeweler who sent it off and the repair was so good I can not detect it at all. That was around $200, and I could not be happier with the watch. Do not know the age of yours, but even though cleaning may be expensive, you will, IMO, have a fantastic watch that looks great and will last you a good many years. My 2 cents worth say to get it working again, when the expense fits into your budget.

Steve

Top Bottom