What's new

"Soapy" Scents

So with the exception of Tabac, I'm finding I like "soapy" scents like Schafsmilch, MWF, and Arko.

What other soaps should I add to the acquisition list which fall into the category. Gotta be great performers, however!

Opinions?

First of all, I don't think there really is such a thing as a "soap" scent. Unscented soap doesn't really have much of a scent. So maybe what you're referring to is soap that is scented in a similar way to the scented soaps you used growing up?

If you really want just soap, there are plenty of good unscented soaps to choose from. B&M and MW make outstanding unscented soaps, and the MW might be right up your alley.

I've never smelled MWF, but Arko and Schafmilch do not smell like "soap." Arko is quite lemon/citronella-esque and Schafmilch has a fair bit of floral smell to it. I actually find it quite unpleasant.

First of all, I don't think there really is such a thing as a "soap" scent. Unscented soap doesn't really have much of a scent. So maybe what you're referring to is soap that is scented in a similar way to the scented soaps you used growing up?

If you really want just soap, there are plenty of good unscented soaps to choose from. B&M and MW make outstanding unscented soaps, and the MW might be right up your alley.

I've never smelled MWF, but Arko and Schafmilch do not smell like "soap." Arko is quite lemon/citronella-esque and Schafmilch has a fair bit of floral smell to it. I actually find it quite unpleasant.
So MWF is often described as smelling "soapy", and Arko is often likened to Ivory soap in terms of scent.

Haslinger is a powder type smell, associated with classic soap scents.

So, when I say "soapy" I'm referring to lighter or brighter scents associated with old school soap before heavily perfumed options became more prevalent/available.

Simple, fresh, bright scents.

Have you ever smelled homemade tallow soap as it is being made? Its right up there with the smell of a paper mill.

I'm referring to soap in the manufactured state.

We're getting a bit pedantic here. Colloquially, I'm pretty sure everyone knows the general/ballpark scent profile I'm referring to.

Palmolive is my favorite. It might even be my favorite scent out of all the artisan soaps I've smelled...Williams mug has a great soapish kind of scent I suppose.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
You've already hit jackpot in your OP with great "soapy" soap. I'll second [MENTION=107048]RobsForge[/MENTION] recommendation of Palmolive as well as suggesting that you give Williams a shot.

Palmolive is my favorite. It might even be my favorite scent out of all the artisan soaps I've smelled...Williams mug has a great soapish kind of scent I suppose.
Yes! I have to order a Palmolive stick. I tried it a few years ago and only have a vague memory of the scent, but the lather was fantastic.

It was probably the second soap I used when I started traditional shaving. I became infatuated with MWF soon thereafter.

Time to revisit!

You've already hit jackpot in your OP with great "soapy" soap. I'll second [MENTION=107048]RobsForge[/MENTION] recommendation of Palmolive as well as suggesting that you give Williams a shot.

Was afraid of that!

Williams is so cheap, I should just buy it.

Is the post shave decent? Or, is it more drying?

Yes! I have to order a Palmolive stick. I tried it a few years ago and only have a vague memory of the scent, but the lather was fantastic.

It was probably the second soap I used when I started traditional shaving. I became infatuated with MWF soon thereafter.

Time to revisit!

Cool! I ordered one off eBay the other day for around $3 shipped to NY. I think it took 2 full weeks to arrive because it came from the UK. They can get Palmolive sticks everywhere in the UK and only for around $0.50!!! That's crazy right? Here in the US we really don't have any readily available shaving soaps that are outstanding performers.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I'm an idiot when it comes to lathering Williams, but that won't stop me from picking up more down the road. Many find it a great soap, see here for almost 2000 posts in the Williams WISE group thread.

Was afraid of that!

Williams is so cheap, I should just buy it.

Is the post shave decent? Or, is it more drying?

Im sorry but I also have to chime in on this post because I'm a Williams Fanatic!! The post shave for me is second to none. It leaves a slick moisturizing layer on your face after washing if you lather it correctly. If you can get past the learning curve with lathering Williams, you are in for a great soap for $1. :thumbup:

Cool! I ordered one off eBay the other day for around $3 shipped to NY. I think it took 2 full weeks to arrive because it came from the UK. They can get Palmolive sticks everywhere in the UK and only for around $0.50!!! That's crazy right? Here in the US we really don't have any readily available shaving soaps that are outstanding performers.
We really don't. Thank God for the Internet!

Even with a large markup/shipping, Arko and Palmolive destroy almost everything readily available OTC in the USA.

I suppose I would say VDH Deluxe/Williams are exceptions in some eyes, but that's not much choice OTC.

Hoping that changes soon as the community of wet shavers grows here.

Williams a trouble to lather, and the post-shave is not good.

Pedantic or otherwise, it's a lemon verbena scent.

If you like that, perhaps B&M Latha in the Limon scent would fit the bill? Fresh, clean, lemony with a background hint of rose. Not heavily scented at all.

Im sorry but I also have to chime in on this post because I'm a Williams Fanatic!! The post shave for me is second to none. It leaves a slick moisturizing layer on your face after washing if you lather it correctly. If you can get past the learning curve with lathering Williams, you are in for a great soap for $1. :thumbup:
I've heard the same about MWF, and it explodes into lather in my hard water.

It's only a buck... your glowing review just sold me!

I would say Pre de Provence smells crisp/bright and soapy and very good performance.
Also Latha Oceana just smells fresh and soapy to me.

I would say Pre de Provence smells crisp/bright and soapy and very good performance.
Also Latha Oceana just smells fresh and soapy to me.
Forgot about PdP. Adding to the list!

I've had bad experiences with B&M, unfortunately. Has to be my tap water, judging by the love it gets.

Top Bottom