What's new

What is Stonehaven exactly?

Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River is wonderful. My memory didn't think it was like Penzance for some reason. Sigh......guess I need to smoke a bowl :)

Esoterica Margate reminded me so much of And So To Bed. I thought it was 5-10% more floral but the same as ASTB.

Guess it's gonna be a two bowl night to refresh my
memory - darn....

Sounds like a great night! :)

8 years and 20lbs of pipe tobacco cellared, with 6 being stonehaven, I've yet to find anything remotely similar.
Yep. This, I'm afraid. Nothing else is similar. Uni Flake? Enjoyable in its own way, but not close. I've heard Rattray's Wallace Flake from a couple people now, so that may be worth looking into. Dogged persistence has helped me accrue a good stash of Stonehaven, though, so I've pretty much stopped trying to find anything "like" it. I smoke other blends that I like, several of which are in the same general realm, and I pull out the Stonehaven when I feel like a special bowl.

Yep. This, I'm afraid. Nothing else is similar. Uni Flake? Enjoyable in its own way, but not close. I've heard Rattray's Wallace Flake from a couple people now, so that may be worth looking into. Dogged persistence has helped me accrue a good stash of Stonehaven, though, so I've pretty much stopped trying to find anything "like" it. I smoke other blends that I like, several of which are in the same general realm, and I pull out the Stonehaven when I feel like a special bowl.

Wallace Flake is merely Uni Flake, rebranded for Rattray's label...

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Wallace Flake is merely Uni Flake, rebranded for Rattray's label...

I've heard that before as well, but came across this on tobaccoreviews which suggests it's slightly different:

"After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake."

"After K&K lost the Peterson range to Mac Baren, they did not want to waste their recipes. They tweaked them a little and simply renamed the old Peterson line to be re-released under the Rattray's label: Malcolm Flake being Erinmore Flake; Sterling Flake being Irish Flake; and Wallace Flake being University Flake."

This all sounds a little flakey to me. Arr arr arr...

Dogged persistence has helped me accrue a good stash of Stonehaven, though, so I've pretty much stopped trying to find anything "like" it. I smoke other blends that I like, several of which are in the same general realm, and I pull out the Stonehaven when I feel like a special bowl.

This is true for me also.

Hirsute

How would you go about doing this?
[MENTION=48751]jiminyshiznit[/MENTION] is the stoving master so hopefully Mat will weigh in. Basically put the tobacco in a mason jar and close it, then put the jar in a hot water bath in a pot so the water comes almost to the top of the jar but doesn't cover , and then keep the water simmering for however long you want to stove (you'll need to replenish the water as t evaporates). Stocking times are typically like 60 minutes, 90 minutes, 2 hrs, etc., so stove it a for a good long time. When done, pull the jar out and let it cool completely (like overnight) before you open it.

Another technique is called tin baking. You take an unopened tin of tobacco and put it in a 160 degree (warm) oven for 6-7 hours. Pull out, let cool overnight then open. Pipestud has info about this on his page and Fred Hanna recommends doing this.

Hirsute

It occurs to me that I have several tins of University Flake. I'll stove some and tin bake some this weekend, smoke them, and post my results.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I found the sample of Stonehaven I received a while back. I may have to smoke some tonight.

[MENTION=48751]jiminyshiznit[/MENTION] is the stoving master so hopefully Mat will weigh in. Basically put the tobacco in a mason jar and close it, then put the jar in a hot water bath in a pot so the water comes almost to the top of the jar but doesn't cover , and then keep the water simmering for however long you want to stove (you'll need to replenish the water as t evaporates). Stocking times are typically like 60 minutes, 90 minutes, 2 hrs, etc., so stove it a for a good long time. When done, pull the jar out and let it cool completely (like overnight) before you open it.

Another technique is called tin baking. You take an unopened tin of tobacco and put it in a 160 degree (warm) oven for 6-7 hours. Pull out, let cool overnight then open. Pipestud has info about this on his page and Fred Hanna recommends doing this.
Thanks for the info. [emoji106]

Hirsute

Ok! 2 tins pulled from the cellar today, each with about 2 years of age. Opened one, stoved half in a jar for 2 hours. Baked the other tin at 160 f for 7 hours. Theyre cooling now and tomorrow ill smoke the regular UF, the stoved, the tin baked, and some Stonehaven to see if any of my trials nudged UF toward Stonehaven more.

No master here! I do everything pretty much as you described, but I keep the water clean under the bottom of the lid.. probably about 60% of the jar is covered. Also, I was told to keep the jar sealed for a week or two after stoving, so I mostly stick to that.

Top Bottom