What's new

What Famous Pipe Smokers Smoked (kind of goes with Famous Pipe Smokers thread , but )

This is more of a see if you know or can find out Thread concerning What Tobacco Famous Pipe Smokers actually Smoked ... . It would be interesting to find out , if we could .

I'll begin ... J.R.R.Tolkien ...

$58a0072cb8b63827f95eba4cac777c45.jpg

Capstan Navy Cut (Blue) ...

proxy.php

According to an article on PipesMagazine.com, C. S. Lewis smoked mainly "Comoy and Charatan" pipes and "Three Nuns" and "Gold Block" tobacco.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I believe I heard that William Conrad, of radio and television fame and a serious Charatan collector, smoked mostly Amphora Red.

proxy.php

$hubble-smoking-a-pipe.jpg

Edwin Hubble ~ Astronomer , Smoked Dunhill Pipes , though I couldn't find his favorite Tobacco in the information I read . Does anyone know ?

Jefferson Davis , President of the CSA ... , smoked a Meerschaum ...

$jefferson-davis.jpg$jefferson-davis-meerschaum-pipe-725.jpg

The Meerschaum is described in the “American Heritage” section of the U.S. Army Historical Foundation web page, as the creation in 1865 of Kaldenberg and Sons of New York, a company in business from 1858 until 1893. The manufacturer worked in Meerschaum, ivory and amber and made pipes, cigar holders, canes, ivory combs. The Davis “meer” pipe bowl is egg-shaped and clutched in the talons of four carved eagle claws. The pipe is described as being 8.5 inches long and weighing 8 ounces.

... Aaron Spelling smoked Mixture 79,
judging from the residue left in his estate Dunhill collection.

$aaronspelling.jpg

... William C. Faulkner : Novelist , Playwright , Poet - Pipe Smoker ..William Cuthbert Faulkner: Novelist, Playwright, Poet - Pipe SmokerWilliam Cuthbert Faulkner: Novelist, Playwright, Poet - Pipe Smo
$william-faulkner.jpg

... His favorite tobaccos were My Mixture 965, in the fancy tin with broad red letters, A10528 by Dunhill, and Prince Albert when he was out of the others. Even years after his death, when his home at Rowan Oak had been turned into a museum, curators found cans of Prince Albert in the closets.

"General Douglas MacArthur preferred to smoke Harkness D and Harkness F, apparently House of Windsor blends, but when those were not available he smoked "whatever was available at the PX."

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1455324344.521383.jpg

You'd probably have to be from the South to know this fine Gentleman from Mississippi , but I couldn't find a picture of him smoking a pipe , but his tobacconist is or was thecountrysquireonline.com ... Jerry Clower ...

$846042_356x237.jpg

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Oh rise, ye thread from the grave...

I've looked into various tobaccos used by famous (or infamous) pipe smokers so I can try what they used.
If it isn't currently available, sometimes a match version is.
If neither, I try to find something similar.
Question for you guys.
Douglas MacArthurs preference was:

Harkness F
A cube-cut burley with some Virginia and a trace of Latakia
supplied by Colonel Ralph Rumbo Tobacconist of San Antonio

Harkness D
Red and bright Virginias with more Latakia than in the above blend
Supplied by the Humidor of San Antonio

Does anyone know of a match blend for Harkness D, or Harkness F - and if not, based on your experience, what would you think is close in an available blend?

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@luvmysuper you might try this place. It’s in San Antonio so they might have some idea of the original recipe. You have to scroll down a little to see it.

I saw that, but they describe their Harkness F as "a full-flavored medium body tobacco which contains cube cut burley, pressed cavendish and a hint of zesty vanilla."
The vanilla kind of throws me, because it isn't in any description I can find of Harkness F, which is supposed to be cube cut burley, Virginia and latakia.

Columbo told us on the Codger Cabin thread that Josef Stalin preferred Edgeworth in his Dunhill pipes. Apparently he also never cleaned his pipes, and when one got too filthy or clogged he threw it away and started on a new one. I guess when you're the dictator of a large country you can have such things sent in via the diplomatic pouches. Probably he made one of his ambassadors to the US pay for the pipe and tobacco.

And we've been told several times that historian Shelby Foote preferred a mix of Edward G. Robinson and Half & Half, though I've seen other candidates for the mix besides H & H.

Top Bottom