What's new

Commercial Espresso at Home, Advice Needed

The 920 seems very nice. The 820 that I have is a single boiler and doesn't have as much steam Power as I would like. I don't think that is an issue with the dual boiler

If you look long enough you should be able to find my favorite "looking" machine. They come in single, dual, and triple head group combos

proxy.php

Last edited:
I currently use a GS3 at home but before that I had a LaPavoni pub.... it is a 120v single group plumbed in commercial machine. I picked it up used at a restaurant supply place locally for a couple hundred. Over a few years I put another couple hundred in maintenance parts to bring it up to my standards I also added pid. For the price it was pretty good and I learned alot on that machine. But I wanted to upgrade to a dual boiler...

You might try to see if you can pick up a used machine that is designed for a small cafe. If you were in Seattle I might even be able to show you where to look for one.

Ruckin.

Last edited:
Hello all, hope everything is well. I have spent some time away from B&B but still shave with the tools that brought me here in the first place. In my time away, I have been exploring some of the other finer things in life, most recently coffee.

I am considering installing a commercial espresso until in my apartment, however I could use some advice. I currently use a gage classic which gets used but I want to step up to something a little better. My search for a good condition used commercial machine has gone on for some time now, and I have noticed one thing, in the world of commercial units, the use of 110v single groups units is uncommon and finding a used one has proven more difficult than a 220v 2 group unit.

Do any of you currently have a larger 220v 2 group machine in use? If so I have a few questions, First of all how long does yours take to heat up and is it more economical to just leave it on. Also have you noticed any ridiculous increase in your electric bill.

Lastly if anyone has electrical experience and could help me with the last piece of the puzzle, that would be great. I don't currently have a 220v line available and would have to set one up. I looked in my breaker box and it is full unless come of the breakers ca be converted to skinny breakers. I will upload a picture of the box for reference. Can you tell me if setting up a new breaker is possible with my current box and how much something like this would cost. The outlet would go directly below the breaker box about 5 feet so not very far. Otherwise is there some way around setting up a new 220v line.

Thank you for the help in advance.
-Anthony

View attachment 635222
Those old Federal Pacific circuit breakers might as well be welders...they just don't trip. I'm a master electrician, and if somebody wanted me to add a circuit to that panel, I wouldn't do it unless I was going to change or retrofit the panel first. Those things have caused countless fires over the years. That's another reason not to even attempt to run your A/C and espresso machine at the same time. The breaker won't trip and you could be drawing a dangerous amount of current.

Last edited:
Heeding the advice of the above electrician, you MAY be able to work around the problem without having to re-wire anything. I'm not sure how apartments are wired, but houses have an incoming net 220v, which is produced by having a +110, a -110, and a ground. In the circuit box there are + circuits and - circuits, each connecting back to ground. In order to get 220 you run from +110 to -110, resulting in 220. Since each plug in your house is on one of the circuits, you COULD figure out which are on + circuits and which are -, then make a little drop cord which plugs one leg into each of these and terminates in a socket for your espresso machine. I'm NOT saying this is a good idea, but I may have done this to power a welder in a rented house with no room in the breaker box...

Top Bottom