What's new

ABC Mystery: why would this set sell for almost 3 bills? Experts, on your mark!

ABC Empire Set, 3 cuts in the case bottom. Looks like silver patch which should be gold. Should it be with or without miusa? A repair serial number stamp? Why would this sell for almost $300? Auction fever or something else? I sense an opportunity to learn something new. Experts?
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
For no particular reason that I can see. Did it include the blade bank, pictures of the latch, or top?

But the bottom line is something is worth what someone is willing to pay.

For no particular reason that I can see. Did it include the blade bank, pictures of the latch, or top?

But the bottom line is something is worth what someone is willing to pay.
Yes it included the blade case and the top and latch, etc. all looked fine. Doesn't make sense somehow with the red flags that it sold for so much. What can you guys tell me about the odd serial number stamping?

Intrigued

Was the case plain or an Empire? The Empire sets tend to go for more money than the plain or the shell. The label looks wrong. This is the type of label on that is on my ABC sets.

$ABC Silver Shell inside.jpg

Yes I noticed the label is silver instead of gold as in ABC sets. If I remember correctly that label is used on US made sets that have the unstamped bottom. The case is the ABC Empire case top and bottom though. I think it must have been auction mania that overtook someone who didn't have enough detailed info about what was being put up for sale. Unless there is something I am missing that is. I was planning on bidding for the razor to put in an empty case but the price went ridiculous on me. I thought the cuts in the case and wrong patch would surely stop the bidding from going too high. Nope.

The label does seem wrong but I have seen it on 10's of sets in the past few years on ABC cases so it's hard to know whats correct. I have also seen the opposite w/ what is considered to be the ABC label on pocket sets. There are also silver ABC labels (no Made in USA). Here is a picture of one I have that is a silver plated basket weave ABC case w/ shell razor. All I know is that the ABC cases have the trademark stuff on the bottom and typically have the Label w/ no Made in USA on it.

Last edited:
It's a nice looking set, and as for myself, I really like the ABC sets.

That said, for that kind of money I'd expect the earlier version of the razor, the one with the curved-tooth comb.

I've been collecting ABC-sets for a long time. I saw this auction, I drooled, I hoped but I didn't win the auction...

The Empire set was in good original condition as far as I can judge. Together with the rose patterned set the Empire set seems to be the most sought after. The Empire set though is even more rare. So an ABC set in good condition is rare and the Empire version even more so. It's also the only one of the main sets I still haven't got. The price put it out of my reach, but one day I'll find one. The above and the fact that we all have different budgets might explain the price. The picture is of some of my sets. I'm very happy to have them and they will stay with me.

$2016-02-06 20.20.27.jpg

I've been collecting ABC-sets for a long time. I saw this auction, I drooled, I hoped but I didn't win the auction...

The Empire set was in good original condition as far as I can judge. Together with the rose patterned set the Empire set seems to be the most sought after. The Empire set though is even more rare. So an ABC set in good condition is rare and the Empire version even more so. It's also the only one of the main sets I still haven't got. The price put it out of my reach, but one day I'll find one. The above and the fact that we all have different budgets might explain the price. The picture is of some of my sets. I'm very happy to have them and they will stay with me.

View attachment 635338

Amazing!!

Is a factory repair job stamp a desirable feature?

And that is a beautiful collection above. Mine are in the dark until I find a suitable lighted corner display cabinet. Corners are the only places in the house we have any room left.

Intrigued

Is a factory repair job stamp a desirable feature?

And that is a beautiful collection above. Mine are in the dark until I find a suitable lighted corner display cabinet. Corners are the only places in the house we have any room left.

I've don't think that the "L" codes add or take away anything from the value. They do add a layer of mystery or curiosity though. They kinda bring up the what, where, why questions that I don't think we've ever been able to really answer.

I've got one on this set that I pick up several years ago.

$ABC Gold Empire.jpg $Empire L Code.jpg

I've always wondered if it was sent in to be monogramed and stamped with the L code at that time???

Hello all, first off, I think there are two "rareness factors" that drove the price of this set up. One is the fact that it is a complete Empire set. The other is that it has an L series serial number. I have in the past seen these two factors raise the value of numerous ABC sets considerably. However, $300 is a little steep. Although not unheard of. Just about a year or so ago I paid almost $200 for my complete Silver Empire set. Because I WANTED it. Sometimes price is not considered. As stated, an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
By the way, I too love and collect ABC sets. Here's my collection-

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454799696.756935.jpg

There have been several added since this photo. I did not photograph them. Have a great day.

As said earlier, and as my father told me when I was young, "It's worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it". That certainly seems like the case here.