What's new

The Greatest Swing In Golf

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Domo arigato. Eldrick J. Roboto.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say Hogan or Stewart. Both had pretty swings.

If we were voting on favorite swing instead of greatest, I would say John Daly.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ben Hogan.

Discussion over.

Byron Nelson: a swing so good and so consistent they gave it to the "Iron Byron" machine used to test golf balls and clubs.

... now the discussion is over.

Byron Nelson: a swing so good and so consistent they gave it to the "Iron Byron" machine used to test golf balls and clubs.

... now the discussion is over.

Moe Norman I say:

In Moe & Me, I relate a conversation I had during the 2011 Masters with Wally Uihlein, Titleist’s chairman and CEO. Titleist gave Moe $5,000 a month during the last years of his life, which Uihlein referred to as a “back-end scholarship” during our discussion in the clubhouse at Augusta National. Uihlein was emotional while speaking about Moe, and said that Moe was the only golfer Titleist ever tested who had zero sidespin on the ball. Later I spoke with Karen Gray, Titleist’s supervisor of research. She watched Moe hit balls during testing.
“To this day I’ve never seen anything like it,” Karen told me. “I couldn’t believe that he could hit shots with zero sidespin. You don’t see robots with zero sidespin.”

Even better than "Iron Byron" :tongue_sm

Moe Norman I say:

Even better than "Iron Byron" :tongue_sm
This is what Ben Hogan had to say.
At a tournament, the Hawk took notice of Norman's ball flights. To Hogan, a ball with a straight path was an accident; it should be worked from the left or right to its mark.
However, following straight shot after straight shot, Hogan turned to Norman and said "Keep hitting those accidents, kid."
And during a round with Sam Snead.
Such as the time when, during a round with Snead, Slammin' Sammy remarked Norman would be unable to clear the water with the club in hand. "I'm not trying to," replied Norman, and proceeded to hit a bridge over the pond, carrying the ball to safety.

Used to read a LOT about golf . . . a LOT. People would rhapsodize about the silky smooth swings of a Snead or Hogan, and in the modern era liken Elkington to those paragons of technique. When you ask ANY, and I mean ANY of the highly rated ball strikers from the 60s through to the mid-90s who the best ball striker they ever saw was, they will invariably mention Moe Norman. Trevino would talk your ear off about Moe. One of the books I read mentions Trevino losing a bet to Moe on a range. the bet was who would come closest to a golf towel laid out on the grass at a distance in the 200 yd range. Trevino went first, hitting three balls and managing to stick one one the towel. Moe put all three on the cloth. then followed it up by doing it again, with three different clubs.

It was not a pretty swing, but it was the best one.

Best? Jack Nicklaus. Particularly in his youth. His swing gets criticized, but consider:

• He began his swing by bringing the club head back dead straight over a mark behind his ball that he'd find at address. Perfect simplicity.
  • That flying right elbow, often criticized, kept his club face square and allowed the power to produce a consistent high fade.
  • His flying left heel, often criticized, allowed a fuller turn and is responsible for much of his incredible power (they were Jack-proofing golf courses, including Augusta, way before anybody Tiger-proofed a course).
  • Speaking of that left heel, Nicklaus' first move on his downswing was to plant that left heel. It was like the bottom part of a tightly wound spring unwinding from the bottom. It makes the other end of that spring, the club head, move incredibly fast. Nobody developed club head speed, with accuracy, like Nicklaus.
  • Incredible (there's that word again) power through the ball. Hips facing the fairway while his chest and face faced the ball.
  • A high follow through where he'd sometimes fall back a bit on his right foot which was the only way he could balance himself after such a powerful swing.
It wasn't the prettiest, but it was the most powerful, most accurate, and most repeatable on tour. I'd love to see a young Nicklaus play with modern equipment. His swing created 280 yards + drives in an era when pros struggled to hit 250. And he was the straightest player in the game. Nicklaus' swing was simple and never wore down his body for a quarter century of competition. Perfection.

Prettiest? Tom Weiskopf.

Ernie's swing is like soft butter laced with ghost pepper oil. Smooth as silk with a hell of a punch. It's an absolute joy to watch his swing. Everything about it looks like he's just swinging 50% effort, but the ball explodes off of the club face.

Top Bottom