What's new

Two more Ever-Ready 1914's on the way.

This hobby got the best of me now. I just ordered two ER-1914 razors. They look in mint condition. Cost $45. each. One has the round handle and the other has the hex handle. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the ones with the round handle tend to be the older style. I never had one of those yet.
This will make 4 of the 1914's I will have. As you can tell I love them.

The round handle did indeed come first, but it continued to be used with the "Standard Set" (the set in the little wood leather-covered velvet-lined box with 2 blade banks) well into the 1920's. Another indication of an earlier model is the small blade stops. Finally, the earliest models say "Patent Pending" on the back rather than "Pat'd March 24/14."

--Bob

Just curious: What is so special about the E-R 1914?

I have one. It's a desirable razor, but not a fav.

What's so special about any razor? It all depends on what you like about it.
It is more aggressive than many of the others such as the ER-1912. For those who prefer to feel the blade on their face it is nice.
You can tell a 1914 by the words stamped on the top piece: Lift Here .

$1914 Tabac.jpg

Last edited:
I recently got an AlumiGoose razor which is very nice but I have to say the razor I enjoy using the most that gives me the closest, smoothest shave of all is the ER 1914. I think I could sell all my other razors and just keep my 1914's and I would be happy.

The Feather Artist Club safety razors are impressive. I had a Cobra that my brother borrowed for good. He loves it. On the other hand, for me the 1914, 1912, bullet tip and a few DEs just worked better. There is more to a razor than just the blades it takes. This is why I am mildly intrigued by the *geese. If a great deal comes along I might go for it but I don't subscribe to the blade mystique around it.

Fwiw, When I had the time to shave with straight razors, my DX was my 3rd favorite, my Friodour 2nd and wedge Bengal 1st.

The Feather Artist Club safety razors are impressive. I had a Cobra that my brother borrowed for good. He loves it. On the other hand, for me the 1914, 1912, bullet tip and a few DEs just worked better. There is more to a razor than just the blades it takes. This is why I am mildly intrigued by the *geese. If a great deal comes along I might go for it but I don't subscribe to the blade mystique around it.
Fwiw, When I had the time to shave with straight razors, my DX was my 3rd favorite, my Friodour 2nd and wedge Bengal 1st.

I don't have a real heavy beard but if I did, I think the Feather AC blades would probably work the best. I believe they are the sharpest.

Top Bottom