What's new

Is It Possible?

I have my Grandfather's old Ever-Ready which is in nearly new condition. I would love to use it; however it has a hideous knot

$image.jpeg

A while back I looked into getting it re-knotted with a nice badger or synthetic knot but was advised removal of the old knot would cause marring of the finish on the inside where the black is. I really don't want that.

Anyone know of a method that would facilitate removal of that weird knot and replacement with a good one that wouldn't mess the brush up??

Kind of what I was thinking, but I wasn't advised if it was doable or not. Was left with the impression I would have to live with the removal scars. Really don't want to do that. I'll keep it on the shelf before that happens but I really would like to set it up for regular use.

if you tried to be careful wouldn't you be able to sand out any errant scratches?

honestly i would think so but ive never restored a plexi brush. but id think the paint would hide some issues, no?

woukdnt a forstner fit right in if you aligned carefully?

if you tried to be careful wouldn't you be able to sand out any errant scratches?

honestly i would think so but ive never restored a plexi brush. but id think the paint would hide some issues, no?

woukdnt a forstner fit right in if you aligned carefully?

I'm told that is the tool that will bugger up the finish. Shame as I really would like to use this brush, but that knot is just so.....bad!

Remove the knot carefully. I used a Dremel. Then sand out any scratches. Paint the recess. Tint the epoxy with paint when you set the knot. I really took my time with the 2 Lucite handles I restored. It would be great to restore that heirloom and use it regularly. Too bad there wasn't a pristine badger in there! That nylon has to go!

The technique below sounds like a plan. I think you can do it. Go for it and enjoy the project. Very cool brush.

Remove the knot carefully. I used a Dremel. Then sand out any scratches. Paint the recess. Tint the epoxy with paint when you set the knot. I really took my time with the 2 Lucite handles I restored. It would be great to restore that heirloom and use it regularly. Too bad there wasn't a pristine badger in there! That nylon has to go!

Good advice so far. Minor scratches can be wetsanded & buffed pretty easily, deep gouges are harder. So take your time.
If this is your first restore would suggest getting another lucite brush to practice on before working on an heirloom.

Good advice so far. Minor scratches can be wetsanded & buffed pretty easily, deep gouges are harder. So take your time.
If this is your first restore would suggest getting another lucite brush to practice on before working on an heirloom.
This. I've done many restores, and the Lucites lined in black with very shallow set knots are the most difficult to get right. Plus, the nylon knots can be quite difficult to remove as they tend to melt when subjected to the higher speeds of the Dremel. It can be done, but a couple of practice runs are highly advised.

Beautiful. Doubtful I could do anything like that. "Crafty" skills have never been my forte. I am a damn fine cook and better than average Harley mechanic though.

Last edited:
Good that you are a better than average mechanic if you have a Harley....

Signed,
A BMW owner and mechanic.

[emoji14]

Top Bottom