What's new

Visiting The Fountain Pen Hospital

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Folks, I'm headed to NYC this spring and wondered if it's worth swinging in to the Fountain Pen Hospital. Anyone ever been?

Folks, I'm headed to NYC this spring and wondered if it's worth swinging in to the Fountain Pen Hospital. Anyone ever been?

Yes, several times (I live just outside Manhattan). If you want to see lots of pens "in the flesh", it's worth it. With that said, if it's your first (or last) time in NYC or a major family vacation, then perhaps there are other places that should be ahead of a pen shop.

I was fortunate enough that they have let me "test write" pens there, but apparently not everyone has that same experience from what I've heard. I think it depends on which person ends up helping you (and probably whether they think you are serious about buying or just wanting to kick the tires for fun). They still had some of the discontinued MBMB, so I bought four shoes. Was ecstatic about that.

strop

Now half as wise
Be prepared to be like a kid in a candy store. I visited there on my last trip. They couldn't have been more helpful or friendly. I managed to leave with my pockets a little lighter as well!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

It has be the focus of several B&B getogethers. In fact, Jim and Bigfoot once made quite a scene there.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
It has be the focus of several B&B getogethers. In fact, Jim and Bigfoot once made quite a scene there.

This was in Art Brown's - I was there, quite funny....Too bad the store is closed now.

This place has been around for a VERY long time. When I worked in downtown Manhattan (more than 20 years ago) I dropped in frequently. Lots of goodies and a very helpful staff.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You are right. I stand corrected.

Nothing like a fake brawl to raise eyebrows.

It was really funny, we all were in on it, but Scott just had not met Jim, yet, so he was extremely surprised by the comments that were made..... A good laugh afterwards, and then to St Andrews pub...

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Thanks for the feedback gents. I promise no fake brawls if I go, or at least pictures if I do fake brawl.

The salesman James was very helpful to me at the FPH. Took my money without a problem!

That visit to Art Browns has become legend.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I have had very good dealing with Ed Fingerman. This is online and at pen shows. Definitely top notch and one of the places i shop for new pens.

This place is still going strong. The pandemic slammed a lot of brick-and-mortar establishments, and a lot of small shops (and restaurants) in New York City face lease issues. I have to believe the owners own the building in which the shop is housed.

It pleases me to know that such a distinctive piece of old NYC survives.

I have visited the Fountain pen hospital many times. I usually visit NY once a year and often visit the FP hospital. Like someone already said, you will be like a kid in a candy store. They not only have new pens but A selection of old pens. Its not a huge selection but I have found a few nice things.

If you go, take time to walk around the neighborhood. It is wonderful. The Woolworth building is only a few blocks away. It was once the tallest building in the world, I believe. Back around 1920.
And to the east is a small park next to what looks like a government building. And there are many subway stops in the area

Top Bottom