What's new

Long Handle vs. Short Handle

As II said earlier, the 3 inch mark is great for me. As for balance, I like it to pretty much even out down the line. Not too keen on one end heavier than the other. Merkur head on an MR1 handle is working out just about perfect.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I prefer a long heavy handle. Around 4 inches. About 100 grams total razor weight is where I am comfy too. But I also enjoy a shorter and lighter handle from time to time. Like a fat Tech handle, or common bar NEW. I can shave effectively with any handle.

I also pinch just under the head but I also place my pinky finger under the base....I feel I get a little more control of my angle.

I much prefer a short handle. That's despite the fact that I'm a pretty big guy (6'4", 210 lbs) with big hands.

I dislike long handles, but medium length is good for me. Had a short but sold it shortly after getting it because I fell in love with my New LC, dont remember liking ir hating the short though.

My order of preference in descending order is: intermediate handle, short handle, long handle

But the preferences are slight.

This ^^^.
Yep, that's my take on this above, early into my new having hobby here.

But to try a little variety, I'm thinking of adding longer and shorter than I currently have.

First: a Maggard travel handle for my DE89 head (2" - 44g, handle only):

$Maggard-MRT-Travel-handle-3.jpg

$Maggard-MRT-Travel-handle-2.jpg

$Maggard-MRT-Travel-handle.jpg

I prefer a long heavy handle. Around 4 inches. About 100 grams total razor weight is where I am comfy too. But I also enjoy a shorter and lighter handle from time to time. Like a fat Tech handle, or common bar NEW. I can shave effectively with any handle.

Second: a Merkur 38C Barber Pole, which coincidentally sounds exactly like the specs you like (4" overall - 100g)!

$Merkur_38c.jpg

*all images courtesy Maggard Razors

Last edited:
I also really enjoy short handles. They feel a little more like a slight extension of my hand. Personally, longer handles make me feel a little clumsy, and they make me kinda nervous. I've only used a long handle a couple times then had to pass it on to a friend here, it sure did like to bite.

Started out using longer handles and thought these were the best, but after perfecting my shaving technique, now prefer shorter, heavier handles.

I prefer long handle....

I found that it's all about the technique used, and both long and short works if you adjust for it.

The reason I prefer long handle is simple, I tend to do long gliding strokes and uses so little pressure that compared to a short handle, I don't have the same maneuverability. I tend to hold it at the far end of the handle.

I find that when I use a short handle, I still hold it the same way and it's too easy to end up with a tiny bit more pressure due to the shorter distance, which ends up not making my shaves as comfortable.

Top Bottom