What's new

Long Handle vs. Short Handle

For the last year and few months, I have been shaving with either a 34c or 37c...both short handles of course. I tried using my long handle progress the other day and noticed that it was very cumbersome, awkward, and hard to shave with. Ended up with a little irritation and a few weepers. I guess I have gotten so used the maneuverability of the short handle razors. With this being said....which do you guys/gals prefer?

I also prefer shorter handles, I find that I can maneuver easier. I loved the handle on both my Merkur 34c and 37c, hence when I bought the S1 I opted for the Atlas handle. No regrets.

The longer and grippier, the better for me! I notice my thumb pad (muscle under the thumb) gets tired faster holding on to a short handle.

I don't really a preference. I use both old razors and new. The newer ones tend to have longer handles and the opposite is true with old.

I like short, fat, and heavy. A Fatboy is just about perfect, I also really like the short travel handles on my 1912s.

I like short, fat, and heavy. A Fatboy is just about perfect, I also really like the short travel handles on my 1912s.

+1

I prefer short (85-90mm), fat, heavy handles. The extra girth works well with my large hands, and the extra weight allows the razor itself to do all the work. I simply guide it along.

I've noticed the last couple of times that I've used a longer-handled razor that I'd get cramping in my hands, so I'm definitely a fan of shorter handles.

I've spent time using both, and I've found I prefer right around 3", especially for head shaving. I like a little weight, but only if it doesn't knock the balance out of whack. I agree with [MENTION=102704]troy[/MENTION], the Fatboy and Progress standard length are just about perfect. I've paired my R41 with a Razorock barberpole handle. I really like that handle, but I do with it was just a little shorter.

Long handles had a lot of shopping appeal. I am a tall man with "long everything" especially feet and hands, and long handles are supposed to be more scalable to big long wide hands. In actuality I shave well with a long handle but the extra weight can be tiring on the arm and wrist if you take your time with several passes and buffings. I am happy rotating between the two handle lengths.

Tall and slim. No, wait .... that's the women.

Handles, short please. There's exceptions, but for the most part I prefer short handles.

Top Bottom